The food was disappointing

jenslater42

We have done several Disney cruises and found the food top notch. Then we sailed on the Carnival Magic. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! The buffet at breakfast had more choices than DCL and the omelette chefs were much quicker and better!

The main dining wasn't as "5 star" but it was do-able. And our wait staff on Carnival was outstanding!

My husband loved CCL's Deli. I thought DCL's quick lines were better. I liked DCL's room service; my husband thought it was blah.

We both agreed Disney's pizza was far superior, but nothing holds a candle to Carnival's Cucina del Capitano!

Everyone's different, but I think everyone should be able to find something they like on any cruise. Individual passengers have the responsibility of letting the wait staff know if something is not up to standards (too cold, not liked...). Or they have to be willing to pay a bit out of pocket for a nicer dining experience. It's the way of the (cruise) world unfortunately!

Edited by Landlocked_N_Texas

I find Carnival's MDR to be underwhelming, personally. I've honestly never had any meal in Carnival's MDR that has been outstanding, and I don't consider myself to be a foodie. I've had good meals (usually the Indian vegetarian entrée, the lamb shank, etc.), decent meals, and some truly mediocre/terrible meals (usually the steaks or prime rib). I've learned to stay away from the meats, unless they're served in a sauce, as they tend to be lower quality and, sometimes, inedible. I've gone on cruises where I've had to get the Indian vegetarian entrée almost every night because the rest of the food was such poor quality (Breeze in 2013), or get multiple apps instead of a main dish.

The buffet is mostly mediocre, IMO. The exception is the omelet station at breakfast, which is very good. The Mongolian Wok is truly terrible, IMO, and tastes like boiled, low-quality meat and overcooked vegetables. I've honestly wanted to ask some of the people that say it's great, "How terrible is the Asian food where you're from that you think this is good?" The steakhouse, on the other hand, has been excellent every time I've dined there. The pizza on the upgraded and partially-upgraded ships is great (Breeze, Valor, etc.), but the pizza on some of the other ships has been a miserable, doughy excuse for pizza (Fascination in 2010 and Splendor in 2011). I've seen people claim that it's the same recipe, but I think something's wrong with their taste buds (and their eyes, since it doesn't look even remotely the same).

But still the food is still banquet type food. For the people that rave about the food they must be horrible cooks. I know one family member that raves about the food on the ships, but then she uses a smoke sector as an oven timer when she cooks.

Yes, but how good banquet style food ends up being, often depends on when you're served. On the Pride, my dad's steak (and mine the couple of times I ordered them) were always served hot, perfectly medium or medium rare as requested and tender. We sat at lunch one day and others complained that they hadn't been able to get hot food any night and their steaks were consistently overdone. I put a lot down to the difference of being the first served at late seating for us and the last to be served at early seating for them.

We had some bad, some meh, a lot of good and a few great dishes on our cruise. Our overall impression was that the food was very good for a cruise ship.

Do the math, eat breakfast at Denny's, lunch at McDonald's, supper at a place like The Outback and figure out the cost. Now figure out what you pay per day to cruise. Quite frankly I think CCL food is better than those places.

Every time we eat in the MDR I comment to my wife that I don't know how CCL can offer the product they do, at the price they charge.

Don't forgot to add in the occasional late night run to your local deli, dessert at every meal and maybe even a take out pizza slice in the afternoon.

On many of the ships, I'd even rate them a higher fast food chain than McDonalds for lunch (which is where the 2.0 ships really shine with Guys, Blue Iguana, Pizza Pirate, Deli, etc - lots of "action" stations with food made specifically for you).

We have done several Disney cruises and found the food top notch. Then we sailed on the Carnival Magic. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! The buffet at breakfast had more choices than DCL and the omelette chefs were much quicker and better!

The main dining wasn't as "5 star" but it was do-able. And our wait staff on Carnival was outstanding!

My husband loved CCL's Deli. I thought DCL's quick lines were better. I liked DCL's room service; my husband thought it was blah.

We both agreed Disney's pizza was far superior, but nothing holds a candle to Carnival's Cucina del Capitano!

Everyone's different, but I think everyone should be able to find something they like on any cruise. Individual passengers have the responsibility of letting the wait staff know if something is not up to standards (too cold, not liked...). Or they have to be willing to pay a bit out of pocket for a nicer dining experience. It's the way of the (cruise) world unfortunately!

this line "the mdr wasn't as 5 star but it was do-able" doable?? it should be much better than doable... and I find it is better than doable..

??

All I have heard about cruises is how good the food is. I thought it was one step above cafeteria food. Very disappointing. I didn't go hungry, but I certainly was not impressed. Except for Guys Burgers :-)

I have said this for years!,but a lot of Carnival cruisers brag about their food.I think in the end it comes down to what you are used to.

I have said this for years!,but a lot of Carnival cruisers brag about their food.I think in the end it comes down to what you are used to.

I think you hit the nail on the head. People that have cruised with Carnival numerous years, know the difference in what the food used to be and how it is now. And this , i am sure, is where the differences come from . You will never go hungry, but there is definetly a difference.

I have sailed on Disney, RCCL and NCL and tried Carnival for the 1st time six years ago. I have been on 7 more with Carnival since, and I always brag to my friends about how the food on Carnival is so much better than what I had on other cruise lines. I was on the Pride for 5th time in April and I was disappointed in the food. I love the Maryland corn chowder and usually order 2 for appetizer. This time I'm glad I got just one. It had very little corn and left a gritty taste in my mouth. The 1st night I ordered the pot roast. Now I know pot roast can be fatty, but this was nasty ! For every little sliver of meat there was a big chunk of fat. I love beef but this was unedible. Also, prime rib was paper thin and it was like chewing a piece of rubber. My friend said there were more fish choices in the past. Salmon was available nightly but it's one of the few types of fish she isn't crazy about. The food at the brunch was better then what was served in MDR for dinner. The roasted tomato soup was yummy as well as the pasta dish (would have been even better with a meat ball ) . I loved the potato salad at lunch in the past. This time some potatoes were mushy and others uncooked. Also the potatoes were watery and dressing was tasteless. Did enjoy sandwiches from the deli. Loved Guy burger, but was disappointed the "special seasoning " on the fries was Old Bay. Wish they'd offered plain fries and just sprinkled on Old Bay on request. Fries in dining room were better. I found plenty to eat, but just felt it wasn't as good as it use to be. Still can't wait to go again !!

I agree it is what we used to.

The one evening we had to eat in the MDR due to the fact is was mothers day and couldn't get a reservation at the steakhouse, I had that short rib and honestly I can relate to what you just said, to me and my daughter who had the short rib it tasted totally fatty and greasy, could not eat it at all! It was our last time in the MDR for dinner.

I find that is pretty much banquet quality at best on most lines. Everyone I know who raved about cruise food either sailed on Seabourne or they were from areas not know for good food. My cousins from Ohio thought it was awesome food but then again they come from what they call land of three seasonings. Salt, Pepper, and Sugar.

Sorry it didn't live up to the hype. I felt the same way about the Steakhouse onboard.

Lots of thing on cruises are over-hyped IMHO but thankfully none of this things have been deal breakers for me yet.

Lol. Being from OHIO too!! I have to agree with cruisinbuckeye i have never heard of the 3 seasonings. I don't put salt on anything ever, use very little sugar and I do use pepper. Go Buckeyes!

I agree with you the steakhouse doesn't over wow me. I would just assume to go to Mortons or a Flemmings back home. However, for what is offered i can always find something i like to eat and at times great food too. Like all of us sometimes we order something and when we get it, it's a surprise and a disappointment. I just order something else.

I do believe Carnival is trying hard to work on menu choices with the American table to please US passenger tastes. Im fine either way old menu or new and will find something I like.

this line "the mdr wasn't as 5 star but it was do-able" doable?? it should be much better than doable... and I find it is better than doable..

??

Well, Carnival's MDR certainly wasn't memorable, and the Carnival Magic was my most recent cruise. I don't remember being blown away by any of the food I had. But I don't remember having anything that was bad or "inedible" either. Now the service was memorable - our servers (Nonni especially) can hold their own against DCL. That said, I never found myself wishing I had reservations at the Steakhouse, or wishing I was back on Disney.

No, I'm not gushing over the MDR on Carnival, but it is certainly do-able.

• 4 months later...
All I have heard about cruises is how good the food is. I thought it was one step above cafeteria food. Very disappointing. I didn't go hungry, but I certainly was not impressed. Except for Guys Burgers :-)

Lots of people love cafeterias. Lots of people don't like burgers. What specifically were you missing? What/where do you eat at home?

Details about the choices, prep and service are very helpful. I haven't been on carnival in awhile. If I can still get appetizer, soup, salad, and fish or pasta, I'll be ok.

Food has changed on all the cruise lines.

Used to be Carnival had the best food. About 6 years ago it started going down. Buffet was never very good. Mush. I will take a spoonful of things that look good and if it is I'll get more.

Was on the Legend many times and many foods everyone here raved about was terrible. The lasagna tasted funny, no one at my table like it. Then on another cruise I thought I'd try it again and it was superb! Something's wrong with this picture. New chef? Yes, made all the difference.

I tell wait staff first day I've had issues with food being tepid and would like hot food hot, cold food cold and it's not been an issue. I'm not eating not hot crab cakes.

Was on Paradise in September. No longer serving lamb on buffet. When they have the shank in the MDR, the buffet had a leg of lamb so I'd eat there that night. No longer.

When we cruise on Carnival we don't cruise for the food because we know its not good. I am a huge foodie, when I go away I dine at 4/5 star restaurants, but Carnival is generally an extra trip or two in a year for us so we go knowing we have a couple of extra vacations a year and know we aren't going to get decent food. Carnivals food is just "ok" nothing more. We just got off the Valor a week ago, although I have to admit the larger ships do give better food in the buffets than the smaller ships but its just ok...the Fascination buffets really were not good at all, the meat carving was always good as so was the mongolian wok other than that there really isn't much to eat. The salad bar even has gotten to the point offering the least variety/selection. On the Valor the burrito bar was inedible totally! I tasted what they call the "steak" and it was one of the nastiest things I ever eaten next to trying seaweed, the steak tasted old and rotten, gross me out, I could not even swallow the first bite, it went into my napkin, that was surely inedible stuff. The pizza on the Valor was better than the pizza on the Fascination surely a different recipe.

On the Valor we booked the steakhouse for 7 out of the 8 nights, we could not get reservations for mothers day, so that day we ate at the MDR, we had my time dining, we had a 45 minute wait for a table and all 5 of us left our main course on the plate, it was not good. The Steakhouse was very good enjoyed eating there all 7 nights!

Sounds, to me, like cruising is not for you ... or at least not on the mainstream lines. I've never gone away from a MDR hungry. There are always things on the menu that will satisfy ... and if it didn't I request another dish from the waiter.

Maybe one of the upscale lines will better meet your needs for upscale food?:confused: As I've seen on numerous CC message boards, there are folks on the mainstream lines who want cut-rate room rates but expect gourmet dining. Like a poster above said ... he's spending $300 for 5 days OV (a mere $60 a night). Cabin rates (including food) are lower than a hotel (without food) might be in a resort location. Gourmet isn't gonna happen without upcharges in specialty restaurants.

Just MHO:)

I am not sure whether your idea of cafeteria food is different than mine. When I think cafeteria, I think of my college days, where I lost 30 pounds that I really did not have to lose because the food was so wretched that I would not even eat it if you paid me. Now the regular buffet on Carnival, I would agree is pretty close to cafeteria food, but the MDR was good. I would compare it more to one of those plated dinners that you get at a seminar or awards banquet- the ones where you get some chicken with an unknown sauce, potatoes and chef's choice vegetable. Usually a tad better than that, but not on par with a nice restaurant. The food is better than I have had at any of the all inclusive resorts that I have been too.

But its a little better than I make at home most nights (aka fish sticks, baked chicken, tacos) and they don't bring me a bill at the end.

All in all for cruise food, its fairly standard. I have cruised Disney (Fantasy), Celebrity (Constellation) and Carnival (Imagination, Valor, Conquest x2, Elation) and thought overall, Carnival had a slight edge. On Celebrity, the buffet was a waste of time. The MDR food (breakfast and lunch) was decent but comparable to Carnival. Dinner in Blu was good, but a lot of the food was a little overcomplicated for me. On Disney, the buffets were really good, but the quick service (like burgers, pizza, deli etc) were lacking. The MDR food for breakfast and lunch was a waste of time. Dinner was decent, but nothing special.

On Carnival the regular buffet was somewhat lacking at lunch time, but places like guys burgers, fish n chips, blue iguana, deli, etc. were good. Dinner was good, not great. Sea Day Brunch was very good.

When you factored in cost of cruise, Carnival came out on top.

I have to pretty much agree, I find the food to generally be good, I don't tend to find it to be great. Often to me they have odd combinations of things together on the menu and a lot just doesn't overly appeal to me personally. Though I have never gone hungry on a cruise. Interestingly enough I like the place where you can make the tacos, burritos and guy's burgers. Wish the tacos were open in the evenings for late night snacks.

Sometimes I think they attempt to get just too fancy for my tastes.

Wow! I always find more great food on a cruise than I can possibly ever eat! Funny thing is Guys Burgers is the one area I usually do not go to because it's just another burger. There's a lot of places with good burgers in Oklahoma.

It is a step above cafeteria food.. you're right. How else can they serve so many people so cheaply?

I think the food is fantastic but maybe it depends on how you order it. On my cruise on freedom 2 weeks ago I ordered a pastrami and mozzarella on wheat grilled and it came out piled high with meat and cheese and all toasted and melted! It was delicious! The guy behind me in line at the deli stepped up to the counter and said " make me one exactly like that" pointing to my sandwich! Another night my boyfriend and I ordered a pizza and I asked for extra pepperoni, extra mushrooms, and extra cheese. It was delicious and others in line started asking the cook to repeat my order for them. The only problem I had with freedom was not the food, it was that the ship was filled with cigarette smoke! There seems to be no place to get away from it other than our cabin.

I just got off the Victory and, sadly, I have to agree. Part of the problem is that I am just tired of the same items. But part of it was the lukewarm food; the crab cakes would have been good if they had not been barely heated to room temperature, for instance. We didn't think the buffet had as many choices as in the past, and what there was seemed like leftovers from the previous night's dinner. The corn chowder had very little corn but was full of shredded potatoes. The next day, the double cheese soup would have been very good but it also had more of those shredded potatoes. All small things, but added together, disappointing.

We are hoping the Glory in September will be better. I expect to enjoy it more because of the menu change to the American Table, Guy's Burgers, the Blue Iguana Cantina, and the seafood part of the buffet. And we are planning on two nights at the steakhouse.

Potatoes are a great filler and most of the soups are anything but what the soup is suppose to be. The steakhouse is usually pretty good. At the buffet, I like the salad bar and get that first then have a little bit of something from the hot dishes. I really believe Carnival has better food than Princess. I call the Star Princess the sausage ship, because the chef has a million different ways to prepare sausage and call it a different dish. What hot dogs and sausage at the grill doesn't get eaten, it ends up at the buffet disguised as something else. Ever seen a hot dog pushed down the center of meatloaf and served cold? This is why I won't cruise again on the Star Princess. The worse items at the buffet are the bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs. I end up with cottage cheese and a piece of fruit.:eek:

Edited by elliair

I get a kick out of the fact that a lot of people try to lose weight before there cruise. Then usually gain weight during the cruise. But yet the food is unfit to eat :rolleyes: but what do I know I am from Ohio.

I was just talking to my sister while she was driving home after getting off Elation today.

This was her third cruise on Elation and she said that the food was not the same in both quality and preparation.

Meat tough; fish overcooked.

Longer lines too.

Said she asked if there were more hard boiled eggs and the guy said yeah, but did not replenish them. No lettuce one day on the salad bar.

Sounds like something is not right.

She has been on a bunch of cruises aside from the two previous on Elation, so I do believe that the food is off, at least on her cruise.

Edited by mzloolue

We eat in the MDR almost exclusively. I think the food is very good, considering the number of people they are feeding at once; I don't expect gourmet in a mass-produced context. love the fact that I am waited on, the food is nicely presented, and I do not have to lift a finger. Each cruise I am blown way by how good certain dishes are, and even if I do not like something, the waiters notice immediately and offer to make it right or bring something else.