Do I need a Passport to "check in"?

mjmcgove

In this day in age, it's a good idea for anyone traveling out of the country to have a passport.

That wasn't the original question since the OP indicated they were getting a passport but needed to know what to do with the online check-in. Having a passport allows one to return on a flight if one misses the ship or if an emergency arises that requires one to return home (medical emergency for self or loved one back home), and only the individual involved can determine what the chances are of that happening. For the majority of passengers on closed loop cruises the risk of having to return via air is very low.

I cruise february of next year so i haven't purchased a passport yet... i will very soon, but haven't yet... do i need one to do the check in on carnival's website???

No you don't, but if you are going to be getting a passport, just wait until you get it. Because Carnival wants the document entered that you will be traveling with. So there's really no point of putting in your BC and DL if you won't be using that to travel. Just go ahead and apply for your passport and once it comes in enter your passport information.

The short answer NO! You can do as others have said and just check BC or put in a fake passport number and change it once you receive your passport. Just don't forget.

Edited by cmptrwiz

The short answer NO! You can do as others have said and just check BC or put in a fake passport number and change it once you receive your passport. Just don't forget.

A "fake" passport number. I'd like to see that fly! The cruise line verifies all the info you put into your check in. Better get on the ball and get your passport.

A "fake" passport number. I'd like to see that fly! The cruise line verifies all the info you put into your check in. Better get on the ball and get your passport.

Yes, because it will fly. Yes, the cruise line checks the information. However, it does not do so 9 months before the cruise. If OP wishes to complete check-in, they can enter a "dummy" number until passport arrives and then go in and enter actual information.

I beg to differ with you on that. If you check in, then they will start their checks. Do you think they wait until the last minute to check all passenger's PP info. I don't think so.

Plus, it is probably a federal offense to put false data into the system.

I beg to differ with you on that. If you check in, then they will start their checks. Do you think they wait until the last minute to check all passenger's PP info. I don't think so.

Any proof of this, or just how you think the systems work?

Plus, it is probably a federal offense to put false data into the system.

It is my understanding that the information is given to DHS no earlier than a day prior to the sailing and then again once all have embarked. DHS then checks everyone's information while the cruise is in progress. Although this is something that I wouldn't do I doubt that it rises to the level of a Federal offense.

It is my understanding that the information is given to DHS no earlier than a day prior to the sailing and then again once all have embarked. DHS then checks everyone's information while the cruise is in progress. Although this is something that I wouldn't do I doubt that it rises to the level of a Federal offense.

That is exactly what I have heard as well. That is why online check-in usually is unavailable 24-48 hours before the cruise, and why they tell you to be checked-in at the port two hours before scheduled takeoff to send the ship's manifest 90 minutes prior.

No cruise line is going to waste time sending the passenger manifest for a cruise 8 months away.

Edited by ZanziBarred