Water and Soda Question??

JW2011

Looking for Current info?

Can you take bottled water and sodas on board in your luggage?

Thank you

Carry on only. Please remember how many people c/o about damaged luggage. Think about you soda or water inside that luggage.

I read here on CC about a situation where someone had water in a red soft sided suitcase. The water broke and the red dye made a mess of her and many others clothing.

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

No

"at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage."

We've always taken on one 12 pack of coke (not soda, not pop, COKE. Regardless of whether it is a Coca-Cola product or not..if it's a carbonated beverage, it's a coke.:D) per person in either a small rolling bag or in our wheeled gym bag. Never had a problem with it...they just open it a little bit to check to make sure it is what you say it is.

Yes, we brought 8 bottles of coke, 7 of DH's premier protein drinks, and 6 bottles of water. We packed them in a small bag that came with our luggage set. We refilled the water bottles - just brought them to take on our excursions. You just have to carry them on - we always carry all our luggage on anyway.

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

You mean I could have gone to http://www.carnival.com and found the correct answer all by myself?

Wow,,, imagine that

Has anyone been given any trouble if they want to bring both soda and water?

In years past, we have just drank the water on the ship- but due to worry about swelling, this year I want bottled water.

Since you only get 12 non-alcoholic beverages, am I going to have to choose, or will they not care if the extra is water, and not a ton of sodas?

Has anyone been given any trouble if they want to bring both soda and water?

In years past, we have just drank the water on the ship- but due to worry about swelling, this year I want bottled water.

Since you only get 12 non-alcoholic beverages, am I going to have to choose, or will they not care if the extra is water, and not a ton of sodas?

Having read these boards for four years I can say with absolute certainty: Maybe. It will depend on what port you are embarking and who is checking your case/bag that day.

My standard answer anytime someone asks about exceptions: So what are you going to do, tell the port worker that they said on Cruise Critic that it was OK?

Anytime you are breaking the rules you need to have a backup plan and be prepared for the consequences.

Anytime you are breaking the rules you need to have a backup plan and be prepared for the consequences.

Eh, I guess the consequence of having my $5 worth of water thrown away sounds okay. I'll just rebuy it in the first port.

Last time I cruised the rule was "reasonable amount"- so now having that number- I just wasn't sure if carnival counted water the same as soda/juice. It's WATER.

There isn't a size listed, just a number can I bring 12 2-liter bottles of soda? It is still 12 non-alcoholic drinks. That is a heck of a lot more than a 12 pack of cans.

Maybe I'll try adding a doctor's note. It wasn't my idea to drink bottled water.

Edited by skittl1321

Eh, I guess the consequence of having my $5 worth of water thrown away sounds okay. I'll just rebuy it in the first port.

There isn't a size listed, just a number can I bring 12 2-liter bottles of soda? .

Is it the reading or the comprehension that's difficult.

Post 3 quoting from http://www.carnival.com clearly states 20 ounce bottles or cans

I skimmed right over that part. Thank you.

So based on the Carnival website, they don't toss it- they hold it for you. So they have outlined exactly what the consequence is, and it is waiting 7 days to reclaim it.

That sounds totally worth it. They can store my water until the end of the cruise if they want and I will replace it in the first port if it gets confiscated, as only alcohol is restricted at non-embarkation ports.

The reason I asked though was if people had personal experience with the policy as it applied to water specifically. It seems like they would be more likely to confiscate multiple packs of Coke, so I am wondering what the application of the policy is.

Edited by skittl1321