Turtle Tour options at port?

WiddyTwo

Hello all! I'm having a problem locating a smaller turtle tour operator to prebook with for our stop in Barbados. I've read quite a few threads about local operators being available once in port to take people out. Will these guys be available right at the terminal and will they get us out to the beach and then to the turtles, or do I need to get to Carlisle Bay first and then try to find someone from there?

My original plan was to do a tour and then hang out at The Boatyard until it was time to go to the ship. A couple threads I read said that local guys would offer tours from the beach at BY for around $20pp but this appears to be from before BY started taking people out. Would I be able to go directly to BY and then walk the beach until I find someone to take us out? Also important, if I do this will I have a wristband or something so I can get back into BY without paying again?

I'm a planner so the thought of not having something pre-booked makes me nervous but I've not been having any luck with the tour operators I've contacted being available or they just don't respond to emails at all. I'm looking for a smaller tour, no catamarans, so I'll take suggestions on those too if you have them. Thanks everyone!

About a year ago the BY package changed and recent reports indicate that a ride out to swim with the turtles is included in your BY admission - no need to book a separate tour.

http://www.theboatyard.com/

All of the reviews I have read say that the trip with the boatyard last anywhere from 10-30 minutes. We were hoping to do a tour that lasts a couple hours. Thanks for the link tho! In all of my researching I somehow hadn't looked at their page.

(Hi from Fredericksburg btw!)

Maybe someone else can also chime in with this but my personal experience is that no, you won't be able to book a turtle swim tour at the pier. The pier is actually closed to most independent tour operators and what you see there are big tour buses near the shops and a hen house of taxis and drivers a little further but still inside the terminal. BTW, in MY opinion, Barbados has the most disorganized, rudest drivers driving the cars/vans in the worst conditions. Forget a "taxi for two" inside the terminal. Taxis are paid per person but shared with other riders, no matter if they're going to the same place as you or not.

On topic, I never saw turtle or snorkel tour vendors inside the terminal area.

Unless you are terribly opposed to taking a ship's excursion, they offer some very nice longer sailing catamaran tours to swim with the turtles ... some also include a beach stop and lunch.

We've done this with the ship twice and didn't find them to be over-crowded. :)

Thanks for the info Stinger. OCruisers - I'm not super opposed to the ship offerings, just thinking that I might get more turtle interaction on a smaller tour. I'll check out the ship offerings. There's also a couple tours on Viator with good reviews.

Maybe someone else can also chime in with this but my personal experience is that no, you won't be able to book a turtle swim tour at the pier. The pier is actually closed to most independent tour operators and what you see there are big tour buses near the shops and a hen house of taxis and drivers a little further but still inside the terminal. BTW, in MY opinion, Barbados has the most disorganized, rudest drivers driving the cars/vans in the worst conditions. Forget a "taxi for two" inside the terminal. Taxis are paid per person but shared with other riders, no matter if they're going to the same place as you or not.

On topic, I never saw turtle or snorkel tour vendors inside the terminal area.

Have to totally agree with you on the taxi drivers in Barbados! They seem to continue to go from Bad to Worse! It's like they are doing you a big favor to drive you anyplace. :mad:

Thanks for the info Stinger. OCruisers - I'm not super opposed to the ship offerings, just thinking that I might get more turtle interaction on a smaller tour. I'll check out the ship offerings. There's also a couple tours on Viator with good reviews.

Don't totally give up on independents. A couple we know loved theirs on "Cool Runnings". It was a 4 hour thing.

Just saying you would probably be better off if you want a longer tour to book in advance either with the ship or a reputable independent. ;)

We were at the boatyard in 2014. I think we had wrist bands. We were walking on the beach towards the Radisson and Hilton to find cuz fish shack (best fish sandwiches ever) and were approached by 2 vendors to take us to see turtles. At that time we negotiated $15 a head for 2 hours to see the ship wreck and turtles. We have our own snorkeling gear and there were five of us. It was very nice. Since then I've seen turtles in culebra and st John naturally (vendors use bread to draw them in) but in Barbados it was my first time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app