Help in finalizing excursions

OnWeGo

Thanks to the help from the experts on this forum, I have most of my activities planned for our Sept. 16 cruise. But I do have a couple of questions to help me finalize our plans.

We are interested in the Coral Garden Drift Snorkeling in Taha’a. It notes the tour is only recommended for experienced snorkelers that are extremely comfortable in the water. I would consider us to be somewhere between novice and experienced snorkelers having done some snorkeling on past cruises. But we are extremely comfortable in the water and are good swimmers. For those who have done this trip, would we be OK to take this tour?

We would also like to do a sunset cruise either on Bora Bora or Moorea. Any thoughts/opinions to help us decide?

Thanks!

Sunset in Bora Bora has more panache but you can easily enjoy it by booking Le Grill that day.

Moorea may be a better choice as you could be taken to a spot where you will best enjoy the sunset,

I've done sunset cruises on Moorea a couple of times and they were lovely. Can't comment on BB except that of course the lagoon is amazingly beautiful there.

As for snorkellng, I would say go for it. I'm about where you are as far as snorkelling ability, and I would do it, although I never have (and probably won't because we enjoy Motu Mahana too much). When you get your snorkel gear on the ship, ask for a flotation vest. This could be a good precaution against feeling like you're "out of your depth", so to speak. I've done drift snorkels before, and the main risk, I find, is getting too close to shallow coral heads, and of course, the current. But if you're good swimmers, healthy and comfortable in the water, you should be fine.

We've taken the drift snorkel excursion a half dozen times ......... it's one of our most favorites places to go when we are in the Society Islands / Tahaa.

If you have the ability to maneuver is moving water, to keep yourself aligned with the water flow ........ plus you don't have a large tummy you will be fine. I say tummy because the coral can be very shallow here and there and if you don't stay in the flow of the current you will need to suck up your tummy and knees so you don't scrap the coral.

Never done the sunset sail in Bora Bora but have done so in Moorea which was delightful, would do it again ........

Here is a picture of the drift snorkel location on Tahaa ... yes that is Mt. Otemanu on Bora Bora 15 miles away in the upper right.

26-X3.jpg

I've done sunset cruises on Moorea a couple of times and they were lovely. Can't comment on BB except that of course the lagoon is amazingly beautiful there.

As for snorkellng, I would say go for it. I'm about where you are as far as snorkelling ability, and I would do it, although I never have (and probably won't because we enjoy Motu Mahana too much). When you get your snorkel gear on the ship, ask for a flotation vest. This could be a good precaution against feeling like you're "out of your depth", so to speak. I've done drift snorkels before, and the main risk, I find, is getting too close to shallow coral heads, and of course, the current. But if you're good swimmers, healthy and comfortable in the water, you should be fine.

I had my TA ask PG if they supply flotation vests and they said they do not. I'd like to know if they do as if they don't we will purchase them here and bring with us. Thanks for any help with this.

I had my TA ask PG if they supply flotation vests and they said they do not. I'd like to know if they do as if they don't we will purchase them here and bring with us. Thanks for any help with this.

Very strange....in january i saw them lined up. They could have been for the kayakers.

Apropos the sunset sail...

The PG offers an excursion that will take you for a quick cruise around sunset in a zodiac and then a private sunset dinner on the retractable dock at the back. Heard it was lovely and very romantic. My TA gave it to me as a gift but due to bad weather it was cancelled.

This is done when there is an overnight either in Moorea or BB.