US Citizens taking Alaskan cruise departing from Vancouver CAN

JB2511

Do I need to complete an ESTA form if I'm a US Citizen taking an Alaskan cruise??

Thank you.

It is the same as if you were in Vancouver and going by car down to Seattle. When you re-enter the U.S. you need to show a U.S. passport, an enhanced driver's license or other proof of U.S. citizenship. Once you are in the U.S. (i.e., Washington or Alaska) no need for such i.d. If it is a roundtrip and you will be going back into Vancouver, then you will need to do whatever Canada requires for you to get in. A passport is a simple option.

Stan

It sounds as though no one who answered the question so far is aware of Canada's new requirement for an electronic travel authorization (eTA), which is similar to the US ESTA. Starting in late 2016 Canada has required an eTA from citizens of visa-exempt countries who are entering Canada by air.

Now the good news...those holding US passports are exempt from the eTA requirement regardless of how they are entering Canada, and those persons from visa-exempt countries entering Canada by land or sea are also exempt from eTA requirements, even if they would be required to obtain one were they to fly into Canada.

Moral of the story...the travel documentation you may need to enter any country can change, so saying "no" to a particular requirement because you didn't need something in the past is not a good response.

You can read about Canada's eTA here, on their official government website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

It sounds as though no one who answered the question so far is aware of Canada's new requirement for an electronic travel authorization (eTA), which is similar to the US ESTA. Starting in late 2016 Canada has required an eTA from citizens of visa-exempt countries who are entering Canada by air.

Now the good news...those holding US passports are exempt from the eTA requirement regardless of how they are entering Canada, and those persons from visa-exempt countries entering Canada by land or sea are also exempt from eTA requirements, even if they would be required to obtain one were they to fly into Canada.

Moral of the story...the travel documentation you may need to enter any country can change, so saying "no" to a particular requirement because you didn't need something in the past is not a good response.

You can read about Canada's eTA here, on their official government website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

And checking with an official source, like the horseman provided, is ALWAYS better than relying on an internet message board.

Or, perhaps some posters are well aware of this requirement, but didn't mention it as it has nothing to do with OP's situation.

Or, perhaps some posters are well aware of this requirement, but didn't mention it as it has nothing to do with OP's situation.

Reading the responses makes me doubt that.

Obviously I know it didn't affect OP, since I said that, but I thought mentioning it would be a good educational opportunity. Just basing an answer on what you did in the past without actually checking current requirements is foolish.

+ The OP did not say how they were entering Canada. Many US cruisers drive to Vancouver which we will be doing in a few weeks from Seattle.

Reading the responses makes me doubt that.

Obviously I know it didn't affect OP, since I said that, but I thought mentioning it would be a good educational opportunity. Just basing an answer on what you did in the past without actually checking current requirements is foolish.

Unless of course the past was a week ago:).

+ The OP did not say how they were entering Canada. Many US cruisers drive to Vancouver which we will be doing in a few weeks from Seattle.

I have to admit that when it comes to ESTA and ETA and Visas there is more that I don't know then I do but if one of those is required does it matter how one enters the country in question?

ESTA is a visa waiver program for citizens of certain countries to visit the US.

To visit Canada as a US citizen, you just need a passport.

For our Canada/New England cruise, my wife and I will have our passports, but our 15 year old daughter will have only her birth certificate. I believe that is sufficient. Does anyone know for sure?

For our Canada/New England cruise, my wife and I will have our passports, but our 15 year old daughter will have only her birth certificate. I believe that is sufficient. Does anyone know for sure?

If you are departing and returning to the same US port it is sufficient (and it's even sufficient if you had to return to the US by the land border). (Unless of course your cruise line has a different requirement.)

I have to admit that when it comes to ESTA and ETA and Visas there is more that I don't know then I do but if one of those is required does it matter how one enters the country in question?

It can matter how you enter the country. Canada and the US have different requirements.

The Canadian eTA is only required for air arrivals, not arrivals by land or sea.

The US ESTA is not required for arrivals by land from Canada or Mexico. If you don't have an ESTA you can complete a paper I - 94W form at the border. Arrivals by air and sea require an ESTA.

Of course it also matters what passport you're traveling on. ESTA and eTA are for citizens visa waiver countries as defined by the US and Canada, respectively. However US citizens aren't required to have an eTA to enter Canada and Canadian citizens aren't required to have an ESTA to enter the US. There are other exceptions that I'm not going to get into for Lawful Permanent Residents of the US and Landed Immigrants of Canada. Rules are published on the appropriate US and Canadian government websites.

It can matter how you enter the country. Canada and the US have different requirements.

The Canadian eTA is only required for air arrivals, not arrivals by land or sea.

The US ESTA is not required for arrivals by land from Canada or Mexico. If you don't have an ESTA you can complete a paper I - 94W form at the border. Arrivals by air and sea require an ESTA.

Of course it also matters what passport you're traveling on. ESTA and eTA are for citizens visa waiver countries as defined by the US and Canada, respectively. However US citizens aren't required to have an eTA to enter Canada and Canadian citizens aren't required to have an ESTA to enter the US. There are other exceptions that I'm not going to get into for Lawful Permanent Residents of the US and Landed Immigrants of Canada. Rules are published on the appropriate US and Canadian government websites.

Thank you, great info to have!