How to avoid gaining weight?

alj1208

We avoid the buffet and do sit down meals and we try to only use the stairs, no elevators.

We are also ice cream lovers so if we get a cone we always walk around the ship as we eat it. Usually the ice cream is by the outside areas so you can walk and enjoy the sights.

My DD (my cruising buddy) and I have often come back actually weighing 5 - 10 lbs lighter from our cruises. We make a point of not changing our home

eating habits, and only eat at sit down venues or the omlette station at the buffet. We will also sometimes order 2 appetizers with no entrée (portion control!), and if we order dessert we'll share it. Add in all the extra walking and we often lose weight - but at the very least stay the same!

You can do it!(yn)

Some cruise lines offer special diet menus, I would check to see if your cruise line offers such an option. If not, you can always order off the vegetarian menu.

You are right, I know Holland America has healthier selections (they call is Spa Collection or something like that), don't know about the other lines. But be aware, vegetarian isn't always the healthier choice when you actually get the nutritional facts. This wasn't on a cruise ship, but, at Ruby Tuesday they used to have a trio lunch where you got the salad bar and 3 hamburger sliders, 3 vegetarian sliders or 3 tacos (I can't remember if these were shrimp or chicken) and the vegetarian choice had more fat and calories than the other 2 choicse. I really wish the cruise ships would offer optional menus with nutritional information. I know not everyone wants that information, but I would like to eat informed. Especially since our cruises stretch into months many times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually end up eating more in the main dining room because of all the courses, and the bread, and the desserts... stretched out over a couple hours, I find it easy to overeat. DW and I have taken to eating most breakfasts and lunches in the buffet. My trick is to only have one plate and virtually never go back for seconds. On that usually one and only plate, I fill up half of it with fruit (breakfast) or salad with a small amount of oil and vinegar (lunch). Also, we don't drink alcohol, we avoid sugary beverages, and we walk everywhere. We did pretty well on cruises 2 and 3, though I think we gained a little each time.

Don't drink anything but water (then you can have the occasional adult beverage or a local drink when in port)

I'm a morning person, so I do an hour in the gym before everyone gets up.

Take the stairs whenever you can. Walk fast where ever you go.

Have a sensible breakfast - fill up on fruits & veg

Have a sensible lunch - fill up on fruits & veg

Then totally over do it at dinner.

It sorta works for me, only put on three pounds on our last eight night cruise on the Vista...