Lost passport, leaving in 13 days, can she go without?

amyhphoto

While the RCCL site states WHTI approved documents are acceptable, they also have a section with exceptions for minors under the age of 16 which states "either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services". I could be wrong but if the WHTI approved docs applied to all, why would they have a separate section for minors? Just nuts.

Mebbe its just me but I wouldn't show up with a photocopy either - we've always cruised with a passport. With the subjectiveness the rules could be interpreted, I would want to make sure that we are able to board without a doubt......

The reason for the separate section is because individuals over 16 have to provide a government issued ID card AND one of those documents

The reason for the separate section is because individuals over 16 have to provide a government issued ID card AND one of those documents

But why doesn't it say "government issued ID and either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate" as it does for those under 16? The birth certificate requirement language should be identical.

Right - but my point is that while the CBP's WHTI site says that minors under 16 can travel by sea with "The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy" RCCL's site has that separate section for minors saying under 16 can travel with original or certified copy of BC - nothing about photocopy which is the confusing part

Mebbe its just me but I wouldn't show up with a photocopy either - we've always cruised with a passport. With the subjectiveness the rules could be interpreted, I would want to make sure that we are able to board without a doubt......

I use a passport. I agree with Sparks. A "homemade copy" is a last resort. Certified copy gets lost at the last minute. Up until the very end the parents thought the nice looking BC they were given at the hospital was an original BC.

But why doesn't it say "government issued ID and either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate" as it does for those under 16? The birth certificate requirement language should be identical.

Having reread RCCL's website I see what you are saying. I guess my adult daughters will need a passport because they have a Cosular Report of Birth Abroad (which was issued by DOS not DOA) instead of a birth certificate.

Having reread RCCL's website I see what you are saying. I guess my adult daughters will need a passport because they have a Cosular Report of Birth Abroad (which was issued by DOS not DOA) instead of a birth certificate.

They could use the Consular Report of Birth Abroad but would need the original (and a gov't issued photo ID if she is 16 or older). My DW used her Naturalization Certificate for our first cruises, until I realized how much it would cost to replace it if we even spilled a cup of water on it, then we got Enhanced Drivers Licenses.

Edited by sparks1093