Caribbean Islands

focus60

Overall we see our Caribbean cruise as a time for total relaxation so although the ship will offer you many tours don't feel you ahem to do them. We're all mainly going to the caribbean for the weather and we also like to get a feel for the local towns.

Of the islands listed I cannot emphasise enough the need to do a tour in Dominica. It is the most stunning, unspoilt island but before we went we'd read lots of negatives about it. Like others we used Bumpiing Tours and we were absolutely delighted with them. Our friend was having difficulty walking so they totally customised our tour and we ended up in van with just the four of us. They couldn't do enough for us and we saw far, far more of this beautiful island than any of the P&O tours.

i would also highly recommend Cosol Tours in St Lucia like so many others and for your first visit to Antigua Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbour are well worth a visit. I would recommend getting a taxi from the port and spending a couple of hours at the dockyard etc then stoping off at Valley Church beach on the way back. There's a great little beach bar there and you don't get pestered by lots of vendors. Someone from the ship will tell you where the desk is in town where you organise a price for your taxi and you get a very good deal.

There's not much to see in Aruba so second time we were there we caught local bus for $1 to the beach and it was lovely. Any of the locals will point out the bus station to you and you're looking for a bus going to the Hotel Zone.

There is an hotel called Holland House Hotel on the sea front in St Maarten with a private beach and lovely loungers. It's worth going to that as it's not so busy as the public beach and just next door to it.

Before we did our first cruise I used the Ports of call boards on cruise critic and I found them very very useful if a bit time-consuming.

Thanks for all the info, we have a few things planned.

Antigua - Going on a 1.5hr beach ride and swim (Bucket list!)

Amber Cove - Ocean World Day Pass

St Maarten - Possibly Tall Ship Excursion

Barbados - Submarine Excursion

Grenada - Rhum Runner Trip

For St Lucia were looking at Rendezvous Day Pass and St Kitts the Carambola Beach Club

At the moment still looking for ideas on - Tortola, Martinique, St Vincent so will take a look at the port info as suggested.

There's not much to see in Aruba so second time we were there we caught local bus for $1 to the beach and it was lovely. Any of the locals will point out the bus station to you and you're looking for a bus going to the Hotel Zone.

You must have been there a long, long time ago as the local bus charges $2.40 each way and that was 2 years ago.

Hi,

How did you find the Waterfall and Coast Excursion? Trying to plan for a cruise in December and can't find many reviews. It says the excursion is 7hrs long! My hubby would enjoy the Pirates Set as he's a big fan. I'm between this and Bequia. Its our first Caribbean cruise! :)

The Waterfall and Coast excursion was a ship trip looking at our current cruise personaliser it is now call Waterfall and Coast and is £76 each. It is a 7 hour trip does include lunch, going to a waterfall where you can get in the water if you want to, seeing what is left of the film set from Pirates of the Caribbean. When we did this we went from the port by bus then returned to the ship by catamaran after lunch.

Personally I loved sailing across to Bequia, and visiting Princess Margaret's beach but my husband found it a little rough going across from St Vincent :o.

Can also recommend Bumping tours in Dominica, Cosol's Tours in St Lucia, Lawrence of Antigua and Pereira Tours in St Kitts and Bernard's Tours in St Maarten. In all other Caribbean destinations we have just taken a tour or taxi at the cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You must have been there a long, long time ago as the local bus charges $2.40 each way and that was 2 years ago.

Not that long ago, jody - 4 years - but I'm sorry if my info was wrong. I didn't have my diary here so probably mis-remembered it

The Waterfall and Coast excursion was a ship trip looking at our current cruise personaliser it is now call Waterfall and Coast and is £76 each. It is a 7 hour trip does include lunch, going to a waterfall where you can get in the water if you want to, seeing what is left of the film set from Pirates of the Caribbean. When we did this we went from the port by bus then returned to the ship by catamaran after lunch.

Personally I loved sailing across to Bequia, and visiting Princess Margaret's beach but my husband found it a little rough going across from St Vincent :o.

I've seen it on the cruise planner but was wondering how you found it, did you enjoy it and would you recommend it? Is it worth the money? :)

I'm still between the two, apparently an excursion is a must in St. Vincent.