Pre-purchase Wine Package

besberry

Does anyone know, if I buy a wine package before the cruise, do I get my Peninsular Club discount? If not, what about purchasing on board?

I can't confirm that they will apply the discount to the wine package because I haven't purchased one, but when I purchased a shore excursion through the cruise personaliser they did apply the discount.

I can't confirm that they will apply the discount to the wine package because I haven't purchased one, but when I purchased a shore excursion through the cruise personaliser they did apply the discount.

Yeah, I know they do that, that's why I was asking about the package. I'll probably have to give them a call.

Just checked p&o website and this what it said, hope it helps

Wine Packages

Various wine packages are available. Wine packages can be consumed either in the restaurant or in your cabin. Please note loyalty discount will not be applied when purchasing wine packages.

Edited by asda
Missed something out

Just checked p&o website and this what it said, hope it helps

Wine Packages

Various wine packages are available. Wine packages can be consumed either in the restaurant or in your cabin. Please note loyalty discount will not be applied when purchasing wine packages.

Thanks, you've answered my question. I looked at the P&O site, but couldn't find the answer, well done.

Since looking into the answer we have now decided not to buy the wine package. We love wine but are not that fussy on a certain brand , so we are going to purchase a different bottle of wine each evening at dinner possibly a £15.50 bottle and then we will receive the peninsular discount.( ours is only 5%) hope Iv got this right.

That's what we've done in the past, but I can't for the life of me remember if we got the discount, I'm guessing we did, as as we seemed to get it on everything else, including other drinks. TBH, if we do get the discount, then there's no need for the package as the discount isn't much more than that. We also went flat out in the quizzes to try and win wine, which we then used on formal nights.

• 2 weeks later...
Since looking into the answer we have now decided not to buy the wine package. We love wine but are not that fussy on a certain brand , so we are going to purchase a different bottle of wine each evening at dinner possibly a £15.50 bottle and then we will receive the peninsular discount.( ours is only 5%) hope Iv got this right.

Glad you posted this, I was going to ask about buying wine outside the package.

Is there a bigger choice than the package and is some of the options cheaper than with the wine package. I love wine but with a meal I am usually happy with a house wine (unless it is awful)

The wine package is a waste of time.

You commit yourself to buying a set quantity so can't vary if plans change.

You are limited to a specific selection.

Yet for these significant restrictions the discount is minimal to non existent (the quoted discount is calculated as if you chose one or two specific bottles from the selection).

The wine package is a waste of time.

You commit yourself to buying a set quantity so can't vary if plans change.

You are limited to a specific selection.

Yet for these significant restrictions the discount is minimal to non existent (the quoted discount is calculated as if you chose one or two specific bottles from the selection).

I'd beg to differ.

having recently purchased 2 packages on a 35 night Oceana cruise I was more than happy with both the saving and the quality of wines in the 'Commodore's' package. So much so we bought two.

I've covered it in my review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

I'd beg to differ.

having recently purchased 2 packages on a 35 night Oceana cruise I was more than happy with both the saving and the quality of wines in the 'Commodore's' package. So much so we bought two.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

PS. And on the second purchase I received my Caribbean loyalty discount: the first came off OBC.

A further £23.00 off my on board account.

We did order a package for my last cruise but as I said it was limited and I am partial to the new world wines (peasant that I am ;) ) so wanted a bigger choice.

If we don't order a package is there a wine list with more choice than those wines on the package and are some of them cheaper?

As I said I really enjoy my wine but find paying for an expensive wine with a meal a waste (for me) I know some people feel differently but a glass of decent house wine with the meal will satisfy my alcohol need. :p

We did order a package for my last cruise but as I said it was limited and I am partial to the new world wines (peasant that I am ;) ) so wanted a bigger choice.

If we don't order a package is there a wine list with more choice than those wines on the package and are some of them cheaper?

As I said I really enjoy my wine but find paying for an expensive wine with a meal a waste (for me) I know some people feel differently but a glass of decent house wine with the meal will satisfy my alcohol need. :p

Hello Catherine.

I prefer a good wine with my food: it's the only thing the French ever taught me.

And probably the reason behind me enjoying my food onboard.

I'd beg to differ.

The quality of the wine is not in question, as it is the same wine as you would receive if you ordered from the menu.

So what was the saving against the menu price that made you happy?

Hello Catherine.

I prefer a good wine with my food: it's the only thing the French ever taught me.

And probably the reason behind me enjoying my food onboard.

Without getting too Political I will NEVER buy French wine (or anything knowingly) I'll stop here!

Still don't know if there is another wine list I can only assume so.

Without getting too Political I will NEVER buy French wine (or anything knowingly) I'll stop here!

Still don't know if there is another wine list I can only assume so.

Hi,do the Welsh make wine lol?Only joking, I tend to agree with you.There are loads of wines out there made from French grapes all over the world

just as good and even better and cheaper,cheers,Brian.

Hi,do the Welsh make wine lol?Only joking, I tend to agree with you.There are loads of wines out there made from French grapes all over the world

just as good and even better and cheaper,cheers,Brian.

Actually we do - as you say there is probably French grapes in lots of world wide wine but I don't want to directly put money in their coffers.

I do like the NZ, Californian, and Australian wine and don't mind the Italian Prosecco - I don't do too badly! ;p

Actually we do - as you say there is probably French grapes in lots of world wide wine but I don't want to directly put money in their coffers.

I do like the NZ, Californian, and Australian wine and don't mind the Italian Prosecco - I don't do too badly! ;p

Hi,I tend to agree with you,I think French wine is overated and overpriced.I buy Italian wine as it is as cheap as chips here.Anything over 6 euro is considered a fine wine,lol,cheers,Brian.

The question of "value" regarding Wine Packages is factual and indisputable. Purchase of the Captain's Collection runs at 10% and that of Commodore's Collection runs at 15%. The question of choice is personal. I know what wines I like, check both the Wine & Packages Lists for content as part of my pre cruise preparation and decide my personal purchase plan. Takes minutes and is all part of the fun. Invariably I decide on the Commodore's Collection. I may also order one offs from the Wine List appropriate to a Fine Dining speciality restaurant - by way of even more variation I have even been known to order a pint of lager to accompany a curry or Mexican themed meal in the buffet bun fight restaurant! I anyway am lucky and get 10% discount for all onboard spend but do appreciate the extra 5%. For one contributor to say Wine Packages are "a waste of time" is strangely dismissive - the issue is nothing to do with time. Solent Richard's reply is spot on - again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I drink wine I like it may cost £5 a bottle or £25 a bottle I don't drink wine appropriate to meals just wine I enjoy,

If I am having a drink I like a 'nice' wine, although so many people say certain wine enhances the food I find it messes with the palette.

I can't eat hot food but often am happy with a glass of tap water!!

The reason for my question re the wine package is not one of cost we can afford both the captains or commodores selection but having had a package before I didn't get the enjoyment out of drinking good wine with the meal.

I am not disputing that some people do but I don't so I wanted to know if there are bottles of other wine we can buy and since posting I have found there is.

Thanks;p

Catherine, enjoy all aspects of your next cruise and imbibe to choice. I know I do and am never put off by "opinions" on this or other similar such sites. Like you, I am not unduly influenced by price only by what I like. As a one time policeman I only ever deal in facts. Full wine and bar lists, types and price, are easily available on the P&O website.

Catherine, enjoy all aspects of your next cruise and imbibe to choice. I know I do and am never put off by "opinions" on this or other similar such sites. Like you, I am not unduly influenced by price only by what I like. As a one time policeman I only ever deal in facts. Full wine and bar lists, types and price, are easily available on the P&O website.

:D :D:D

No wonder we have the same outlook I too was a 1 time police officer 30 years - retired 2006, great isn't it???