Saunders Beach question

GamblingMommy

Our family of 3 is looking for a relaxing beach day while in Nassau for the day. Has anyone been to Saunders beach recently? It sounds like it has a bathroom, some possibilities for food/drink if desired, and not many vendors to hassle with on the beach. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also check reviews at tripadvisor. Quoting one of the review:

"Saunders Beach is beautiful as are all beaches in the Bahamas! This one is super quiet and serene. Great for families! It has full bathrooms and fresh waters showers also. It's near a Shell gas station if you want to buy some snacks, and also a Pizza Hut and KFC. Overall this beach is just super quiet and relaxing."

Our family of 3 is looking for a relaxing beach day while in Nassau for the day. Has anyone been to Saunders beach recently? It sounds like it has a bathroom, some possibilities for food/drink if desired, and not many vendors to hassle with on the beach. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I was just there in May. There are three "cove" areas: the first 2 did not have anyone at them. The third one had maybe about 5 other people besides us, since it was a Sunday - the busiest day (!), and since it is the closest to the restrooms. We took the #10 jitney bus there and back, brought some chips and a little fabric cooler with some water bottles. But there is a Shell gas station right there across the street and the KFC and Pizza Hut also.

The water is clear and beautiful! Very nice beach -- no vendors. I would go again.

Yes, I was just there in May. There are three "cove" areas: the first 2 did not have anyone at them. The third one had maybe about 5 other people besides us, since it was a Sunday - the busiest day (!), and since it is the closest to the restrooms. We took the #10 jitney bus there and back, brought some chips and a little fabric cooler with some water bottles. But there is a Shell gas station right there across the street and the KFC and Pizza Hut also.

The water is clear and beautiful! Very nice beach -- no vendors. I would go again.

3 questions, if you can answer, please! 1)Timewise - how long of a ride on the jitney to get there? 2) Is there any shade? 3) Can you snorkle from the beach there? This sounds like a good option for us in October. We're not a fan of the "party" scene that Junkanoo apparently offers... Thank you!

Saunders Beach Nassau.pdf

3 questions, if you can answer, please! 1)Timewise - how long of a ride on the jitney to get there? 2) Is there any shade? 3) Can you snorkle from the beach there? This sounds like a good option for us in October. We're not a fan of the "party" scene that Junkanoo apparently offers... Thank you!

Hi Kelly

1) It's maybe 5 or 6 minutes on the jitney - not far at all. I would ask the driver when you get on to let you know when you're there. If you look out the right side window, you'll pass Junkanoo first, then Arawak Cay (Fish Fry / Ardastra Gardens & Zoo), then it's just a couple more stops down. You'll see a Shell gas station.

2) There is not much shade. Only up by the sidewalk area, there are some bushes and small "trees". Not sure if they would even provide any shade.

3) The water is crystal clear. So if you bring your own snorkel gear (even just a mask), you will be able to see whatever is there. It is mostly sandy though, so probably not the best place for a whole lot of undersea life. One local guy was trying to show us some fish right around the rocks - so that's your best bet to see any fish.

Saunders Beach Nassau.pdf

We did go to Saunders last week. It fit our needs very well. We asked how to find jitney 10. It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the port gates to the stop in town. The ride took about 10 minutes or so to the beach, depends how many stops. There is some shade on benches under trees. It is along a main road so there is traffic noise. There are very clear Sandy areas in the water and then there are grassy areas. We did see fish in the grass and by the rocks. It wasn't covered in fish, but enough to satisfy us.