If you swap cabins, do your perks move with you?

Guernseycruiser

If two people are booked in one cabin, but one person swaps to another cabin, do their perks move with them?

Situation, 3 people in 2 cabins. Both cabins are priced the same, but due to differing age rates applicable to one passenger, one cabin has free grats. If one person with free grats, swaps to the other cabin, do the grats move with them.

Cabin A - person 1 and 2 both with grats

Cabin B - person 3 (single supplement) without grats

Person 2 wants to swap to share with person 3.

Ultimately I would want to ensure that the cabin steward for Cabin B receives gratuities for 2 people (one free and one paid on board). Any thoughts?

If two people are booked in one cabin, but one person swaps to another cabin, do their perks move with them?

Situation, 3 people in 2 cabins. Both cabins are priced the same, but due to differing age rates applicable to one passenger, one cabin has free grats. If one person with free grats, swaps to the other cabin, do the grats move with them.

Ultimately I would want to ensure that the cabin steward for Cabin B receives gratuities for 2 people (one free and one paid on board). Any thoughts?

Are both cabins booked with Celebrity or with the same agent? It sounds like cabin A took the one perk with the gratuity. What perk did the person in B select?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would think if you choose to move you will have to pay. The gratuities were for that particular booking and were obviously for the person who qualified for them and whoever stays in the cabin with them. If you were trying to skin the cat by booking this way I think you are out of luck.

If it's still only the 3 people travelling, why change anything before sailing? Keep the reservations the same and sort onboard. You may find it's the same steward anyway (if you are in cabins close to each other). Can't you just put the 2 who want to share in Cabin A & then keep the single person in Cabin B? You can then just pay the grats onboard for Cabin B with the 3rd person's money.

You can set your accounts up so that each has an individual bill, or call up another reservation on your account and link it to your bill if you so wish (we do this with the kids and if they share with our friends' son, his parents link his name to their bill). I'd just be careful if you booked in the UK and start making adjustments before you cruise because it could results in admin charges.

I would think if you choose to move you will have to pay. The gratuities were for that particular booking and were obviously for the person who qualified for them and whoever stays in the cabin with them. If you were trying to skin the cat by booking this way I think you are out of luck.

I share your thoughts on this.

Many thanks to all for the feedback.

To clarify some of the points raised:-

Yes, we were looking to swap once on board, and not before.

Yes, we are booking in the US.

Yes, all 3 persons will set up individual accounts for payment.

We will probably not be booking with the same agent.

We will be booking guarantee cabins, so may not end up in the same area with the same cabin steward.

Cabin B does not have any perks, the free grats was a perk for over 55's, of which only one person in the group qualifies.

The perk was not selected, it is an offer by one cruise agent.

The cruise will be for 14 days.

Many thanks to all for the feedback.

To clarify some of the points raised:-

Yes, we were looking to swap once on board, and not before.

Yes, we are booking in the US.

Yes, all 3 persons will set up individual accounts for payment.

We will probably not be booking with the same agent.

We will be booking guarantee cabins, so may not end up in the same area with the same cabin steward.

Cabin B does not have any perks, the free grats was a perk for over 55's, of which only one person in the group qualifies.

The perk was not selected, it is an offer by one cruise agent.

The cruise will be for 14 days.

So you haven't book yet? What I don't understand is that my understanding is everyone usually receives at least one perk from Celebrity. Then many people receive an additional perk (or discount) from an outside agent.

The confusion is because those in each cabin are using different agents. If you haven't booked yet you should ask more questions.

Cabin B is an inside, correct? The insides are typically the cabins that do not include a perk. So are the people who aren't getting a perk in an inside instead getting a discounted price from their agent instead of a perk?

Edited by Jade13

So you haven't book yet? What I don't understand is that my understanding is everyone usually receives at least one perk from Celebrity. Then many people receive an additional perk (or discount) from an outside agent.

The confusion is because those in each cabin are using different agents. If you haven't booked yet you should ask more questions.

Cabin B is an inside, correct? The insides are typically the cabins that do not include a perk. So are the people who aren't getting a perk in an inside instead getting a discounted price from their agent instead of a perk?

It states in the OP that both cabins are the same rate, so one would presume they are the same category (Cabin B isn't different as you suggest) but cabin A qualifies for the gratuity perk from a certain TA because the occupant is over 55. Obviously, the OP wants to put 2 persons in Cabin A because then they would have 2 grats paid for and not just the 1.

It depends on whether the TA gave you the perk of free grats vs celebrity. As stated, celebrity includes 1 free perk with most bookings. If the grats are an add on from the TA you would have to ask them. If the cabin with the senior got the 'go big' option at booking, that's another story. Those perks apply to the passengers 1 & 2 but are chosen per cabin. I am pretty sure they will stay with the cabin that the qualifying person is in.

We have certainly done what you are suggesting; we put person A and B in cabin 1 and person C in cabin 2. When checking in have everyone set up their own account and then get a second key to cabin 2. Then person B and C can stay in cabin 2 while leaving the cabin 1 perks intact for 2 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are three of you in two cabins so one of the attendants is going to be short changed, whatever you do. One cabin will get gratuities for two and one cabin will get them for one. Personally, I would make sure the attendant in the single occupant cabin got gratuities for two and then you can all feel like you were equal but I have a feeling that's not what you want to hear.

Edited by Ma Bell

There are three of you in two cabins so one of the attendants is going to be short changed, whatever you do. One cabin will get gratuities for two and one cabin will get them for one. Personally, I would make sure the attendant in the single occupant cabin got gratuities for two and then you can all feel like you were equal but I have a feeling that's not what you want to hear.

That's not necessary. Singles sail in double rooms often paying double occupancy but only gratuities for one. Even pre-paid grats wasn't offered, one cabin steward would get grats x 2 and one would get grats x 1.

That's not necessary. Singles sail in double rooms often paying double occupancy but only gratuities for one. Even pre-paid grats wasn't offered, one cabin steward would get grats x 2 and one would get grats x 1.

Oh, I know it's not necessary. I do a lot of things that aren't "necessary".

We are not trying to short change anyone. We are just trying to use the perk being offered by the TA in full. We also want to ensure that the cabin attendant who is looking after two people receives the full gratuities for two people. We always pay the standard gratuities charged on the account in full. In all our 40+ cruises we always give cash in addition to the standard gratuities to a cabin steward (and other crew, apart from one not so good cabin steward).

We are not trying to short change anyone. We are just trying to use the perk being offered by the TA in full. We also want to ensure that the cabin attendant who is looking after two people receives the full gratuities for two people. We always pay the standard gratuities charged on the account in full. In all our 40+ cruises we always give cash in addition to the standard gratuities to a cabin steward (and other crew, apart from one not so good cabin steward).

I didn't mean that you were shortchanging them, it's just true that single occupancy cabins get only one gratuity.

As I stated above, it may be easier to just put the 2 people who want to share in Cabin A (leave the gratuities as they are), put the single in Cabin B and get the 3rd pax to just pay Cabin B's grats. You can get spare room keys from GS to obtain access to either rooms.