LIVE From the Ruby - 1 Day Vancouver-Seattle - 5/5/17

CanadianBurger

Well I can't account for Starbucks, but I am guessing that Princess doesn't mark GF items on the menu due to risk of cross contamination in the prep area. There is a special prep area for GF food. They want you to stay healthy and enjoy your cruise. :)

I have been on both Disney and Princess with people who are gluten free and have to avoid cross contamination. Princess did an excellent job; obsessively concerned and careful.

Never used Uber before. Thinking of trying when we get back to Seattle on May 20. Did you wait til you got out of the terminal before you called for Uber? Thanks.

I also called an Uber for pickup. Speedy and no issues.

Farewell, Ruby Princess. Until the next time...

1f74ff9d27039bf012cb5f72913b6a20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Comfortable must be in the eye of the beholder. Just got off Ruby on Friday and I hated the new beds. Very soft and had a topper that I found hot. Pillows are very squishy. I had a back ache most of the cruise. So YMMV.

I hate the pillows also. Last cruise we asked for foam pillows. Not sure the room steward understood us because the additional pillows he brought us were no better.

well, canadianburger, 'we' will also be boarding the majestic that weekend. i look forward to reading your review when i get home!

Have a great time! Hopefully you won't have the luggage issues your daughter had!

Never used Uber before. Thinking of trying when we get back to Seattle on May 20. Did you wait til you got out of the terminal before you called for Uber? Thanks.

Yes, the app uses your location as the pick up point. You can move it to outside the terminal if you request pick up before you're outside.

• 5 weeks later...

There is *one* gas station in downtown Vancouver proper - the Esso on the corner of Davie and Burrard. The price isn't particularly outrageous but it ain't cheap either. That said, there are a bunch before you cross False Creek on the way in from Seattle.

I do this drop off all the time and usually fill up at an Arco in Ferndale, then top off between Marine Drive and Canada Place - it's only a couple of miles so if you fill till it clicks off you'll still show full at drop off.

Definitely don't prepay. Even in a Suburban I only use a quarter to a third of a tank.

We are dropping off a rental car next month at Canada place, is there somewhere nearby to fill gas or should we prepay fuel since we are driving from Seattle?

YMMV but....we filled up at Peace Arch on the Washington side and still showed full when we dropped off at Canada Place.

Thoughts....

• I recommend GPS setting the Esso station at Broadway and Hemlock to fill up on the way downtown. Davie and Burrard may be a little closer.... but the location is hard to get out after exiting the station to try going back downtown.
  • Best value is to gas up in Bellingham's Costco and then topping off Broadway/Hemlock. The Bellingham Costco charges 1/3 less! Much of the fuel around Vancouver is all taxes! A lot of locals go to Bellingham Costco for fuel.

This looks like so much fun we booked the 1-day on September 30th. Got a super cheap rental car to drive back from Vancouver to hometown area of Seattle.

Question: the all-inclusive beverage package is not available on our cruise (or apparently on any cruise shorter than two days). Was it available for this one? It appeared so in one of your posts but I'm wondering about it. Also, do all adults in the cabin need to purchase it?

Thank you for your replies.

Question: the all-inclusive beverage package is not available on our cruise (or apparently on any cruise shorter than two days). Was it available for this one? It appeared so in one of your posts but I'm wondering about it. Also, do all adults in the cabin need to purchase it?

It was on the Ruby but not on the Emerald. Usually it's not available on one-nighters.

No, not everybody in your cabin needs to purchase it.

• 1 month later...
This looks like so much fun we booked the 1-day on September 30th. Got a super cheap rental car to drive back from Vancouver to hometown area of Seattle.

I'm doing the Sept 30th cruise as well and am curious what the super cheap rental car you booked was, as I'm looking into options on how to get back to Seattle right now. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing the Sept 30th cruise as well and am curious what the super cheap rental car you booked was, as I'm looking into options on how to get back to Seattle right now. Thank you!

There are several options for getting back to Seattle by public transport:

QuickShuttle (http://www.quickcoach.com) will pick up at the hotel in front of the cruise terminal at 8:45 or 11:15 am and take you to SeaTac Airport for $59 (or $55 senior) CAD.

Bolt Bus (http://www.boltbus.com) departs train/bus station in Vancouver at 11:30 am for $29.50 to downtown Seattle. The bus/train station is a short taxi ride away or you can hop the Sky Train there (a short walk to and from those stations).

If you would like to spend the day wondering around Vancouver, the Amtrak Cascades train departs Pacific Central station at 5:35 pm to downtown Seattle but it looks like they may be sold out for Oct. 1. Amtrak does offer thru bus alternatives earlier in the day for $45.