Travel insurance

Dinthesea

Start researching here:

https://www.insuremytrip.com

And it does require a bit of time to read the various policies and understand what they cover and what they don't. Making a choice for various types of coverage will depend on your individual situation and risk tolerance. There is no "best" one to have, per se.

I don't think we're allowed to recommend specific services or brokers, but I know a lot of people have said "if I was going to insuremytrip using a .com website, there's one with a lot of options for me to insuremytrip"

Thank you guys ! Didnt know you couldnt say names.

You can. People post links to insuremytrip and another one I can't think of right now -- it's never been a problem.

Linking to travel agents, either by name or linking to big-box travel agent sites is not allowed, along with linking to or naming personal cruise consultants as well as Facebook roll-call groups.

Yes, go to insuremytrip.com

You will quickly return there is not such thing as normal "trip insurance", yet many people just buy it from the cruise line or TA with very little questions.

If you want to read some long winded discussions, just type "insurance" in the search box.

Keep in mind that travel medical insurance and trip insurance are two different things with very different costs. They are often bundled together but can certainly be bought separately. In my experience travel medical insurance is significantly less expensive than a trip policy. I self insure against trip cancellation/delay by never purchasing a policy and understanding that I could lose the cost of the trip someday.

However, I have use travel medical insurance before. I've only done single trip policies through geoblue but I believe there are annual policies available as well.

Trip insurance is based on the cost of your trip so more expensive trips will have more expensive insurance and can easily cost hundreds. Travel medical (at least as a secondary policy) is based solely on your age and where you are going. I took a trip to Tanzania last year. To do the full out 'insurer your trip' thing to get good coverage was going to cost $400+ but was able to get a medical only policy for approx $30

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep in mind that travel medical insurance and trip insurance are two different things with very different costs. They are often bundled together but can certainly be bought separately. In my experience travel medical insurance is significantly less expensive than a trip policy. I self insure against trip cancellation/delay by never purchasing a policy and understanding that I could lose the cost of the trip someday.

However, I have use travel medical insurance before. I've only done single trip policies through geoblue but I believe there are annual policies available as well.

Trip insurance is based on the cost of your trip so more expensive trips will have more expensive insurance and can easily cost hundreds. Travel medical (at least as a secondary policy) is based solely on your age and where you are going. I took a trip to Tanzania last year. To do the full out 'insurer your trip' thing to get good coverage was going to cost $400+ but was able to get a medical only policy for approx $30

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good explanation, thanks. We are getting an annual combo travel/medical policy as we plan to be out of the country more than staying in it next year. The annual policy is far less than individual policies for each trip or cruise.

On a side note, anyone going to New Zealand does not need medical insurance. A Canadian on one of our tours in NZ in February suffered a complicated (not compound) ankle fracture that required surgery and hospitalization, all paid for by the government.

I purchased the insurance offered by the cruise line. This past trip we needed to use it. After submitting to my regular insurance to get the denial, it took around 3 weeks to get my reimbursement from the travel insurance.

I purchased the insurance offered by the cruise line. This past trip we needed to use it. After submitting to my regular insurance to get the denial, it took around 3 weeks to get my reimbursement from the travel insurance.

As mentioned earlier, there are kinds of insurance. What sort of issue did you have?

I use both insuremytrip.com and tripinsurancestore.com .... and actually I prefer the service from Trip Insurance Store because they are very good about answering questions. Steve, the owner, writes a blog article every now and then and highlights the "gotchas" that happen if you do something wrong. The website is very old school, but has a ton of info on it about primary vs. secondary (and when secondary is better than primary), how pre-existing conditions coverage works, etc.

Insurance is complicated, and Insure My Trip is great for people who want dozens of choices. Trip Insurance Store is better if you have questions and want just a pre-selected dozen or so policies that will fit your needs.

I use Travel Insured Int'l thru www.tripinsurancestore.com.

I am very satisfied with my claims experience. Got the check in the mail 15 days after filing an online claim.

You can buy Travel Insured directly from them at their own website.

I realized today when I was pitching old RC docs, that their insurance still has the 10k of medical coverage and 25K of medical/expatriation coverage thatbit dis back in 2006. Neither number is recommended or adequate. I want a minimum of 50K medical and 100K medivac.

I use Travel Insured Int'l thru www.tripinsurancestore.com.

I am very satisfied with my claims experience. Got the check in the mail 15 days after filing an online claim.

It would help others understand what sort of claim you had. There is long list of what is covered, and what is not covered depending on the policy. For example, if your policy did not have medical evac and you spent $30,000 doing that - there would be no check.

Good explanation, thanks. We are getting an annual combo travel/medical policy as we plan to be out of the country more than staying in it next year. The annual policy is far less than individual policies for each trip or cruise.

On a side note, anyone going to New Zealand does not need medical insurance. A Canadian on one of our tours in NZ in February suffered a complicated (not compound) ankle fracture that required surgery and hospitalization, all paid for by the government.

This may indeed be true, but if traveling to New Zealand on a cruise ship you still need to have medical coverage in case you get hurt on the ship on the way there or back. Kudos to New Zealand for having such a program, but I'll still travel with my own coverage no matter what my destination....because you never know when an injury or illness can strike.

As mentioned earlier, there are kinds of insurance. What sort of issue did you have?

I used NCL's insurance. The one that they offer when you book online through the website. You can buy different levels of insurance, with either a 75% or 100% refund if you cancel. We had the 75% one. Our claim was not a cancellation claim. It was medical, so we got all of the money we paid out on the ship reimbursed.

Looking at the copy of the claim I mailed in, I sent it to Aon Affinity in Garden City, N.Y.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my original response.

:(

You can buy Travel Insured directly from them at their own website.

I realized today when I was pitching old RC docs, that their insurance still has the 10k of medical coverage and 25K of medical/expatriation coverage thatbit dis back in 2006. Neither number is recommended or adequate. I want a minimum of 50K medical and 100K medivac.

Hi, I remember you from the retirement group. Hope you are doing well! Retirement is great!!!😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

It would help others understand what sort of claim you had. There is long list of what is covered, and what is not covered depending on the policy. For example, if your policy did not have medical evac and you spent $30,000 doing that - there would be no check.

Our flight from HOU to EWR was cancelled due to airport closure because of Sandstorm Jonas last year. We had to stay extra 2 days in Houston to get an available flight. The insurance advised us to rebook, and all expenses up to policy limit (hotel, meals, transportation) will be reimbursed. Which they did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have used "insuremytrip" and I also purchase insurance through my travel agent. I broke my ankle in Sicily while on a cruise and was in the hospital for 6 nights and never received a statement/invoice from the Dr. or hospital. I had travel insurance and the insurance had a flight paramedic from Berlin to come and fly with me back to USA and assist me as I was in wheel chair during all this. The insurance took care of my flight. I always get travel insurance. You never know when something can happen as happened with me.