Question about walk off disembarkation.....

JudithLynne

There is an area for those with wheelchairs, etc. when doing assisted.

Not a good idea for those with canes to do unassisted.

Remember, you'll have no help at all and will need to be able to do it totally on your own. ;)

DW has used the unassisted walk-off disembarkation with a cane with no problems. However she was not handling any luggage - not even a purse or small carry-on. I was able to handle all of the luggage and give her assistance when needed. The walk-off disembarkation can work for someone with a cane as long as that person is traveling with others who can assist and handle all of the luggage.

Trust me on this and go to the PES lounge. Let the Circle Host know that you need to catch an early flight. The passengers in the PES lounge will be let off the ship prior to all the other walk-offs. I used to go to the walk-off lounge, along with the other 500-600 people (or even more sometimes). It's a madhouse. Then someone on Cruise Critic told me about the PES lounge passengers getting off the ship first. How do I know we were the first ones off? We were the only ship in port that day and there were no other passengers in the terminal, except for about ten of us that were let off before everyone else. I was off the ship at 7:15 am and sitting at the gate, ready for my flight, at 8:15 am. The plane didn't leave until 10:30 am, so I made it with time to spare. I seriously doubt that if I had gone to the regular walk-off lounge (usually one of the dining room because so many people want the walk-off now) that I would have made it to the gate so quickly.

We have stayed away from the preferred disembarkation lounge pretty much since it was implemented.

We found many times nobody manning the door and filled to capacity, loud, disorganized etc etc.

We just head to the DR have a nice breakfast and walk straight to the gangway and disembark.

We do this every cruise.

We have stayed away from the preferred disembarkation lounge pretty much since it was implemented.

We found many times nobody manning the door and filled to capacity, loud, disorganized etc etc.

We just head to the DR have a nice breakfast and walk straight to the gangway and disembark.

We do this every cruise.

The lounge does get busy after 8:00 am. At 7:00 am, it's pretty civilized. ;)

• 2 months later...

I concur with the previous posters about going to the P/E/S lounge to walk off, if you're eligible for that lounge.

On every cruise when we've been eligible to wait in that lounge, and when we walked off, we had been led off the ship first, prior to the other walk-off groups. It didn't matter what our disembark ticket said (i.e. Walk Off Group B)....we were still led off the ship prior to Walk Off Group A.

As mentioned, the lounge that early is not packed, and the terminal is empty. First through customs....