Pearl to Alaska (almost live) July 16 2017

troyphoto

Juneau is Whale Watch but I don't think the Glacier. Skagway is train, DH wanted to go to Yukon. Ketchikan is Bear Country and Victoria I think we are taking a tram/trolley or something and then walk around.

BTW we are from Nebraska.

We are travelling with my almost 20 year old son - don't think he would like the train at all. My husband is a locomotive engineer and I think that last thing he would want to do is be on a train.

I think the hop on/hop off train in Victoria would be nice. May also walk to Fisherman's Wharf..

We are from Massachusetts

I'm a day behind... pretend I told you all about an exciting sea day of napping, walking the deck and eating more food.

Now, onto Tuesday!

Wife and I awoke to celebrate our 30th anniversary on the Pearl! Can you believe she put up with me that long! :hearteyes:

I had a card for her hidden away (our gifts to each other was the cruise), and snuck it on her pillow after breakfast (yes, in the great outdoors). That earned me a kiss.

JuneauCollage-01-L.jpg

We then went up to Spinnaker to watch the ship slide into port at Juneau. Fancy little dance occurred there. The Jewel was already docked, but almost ready to leave. We came into Juneau harbor and waited for the Jewell to back out. We then rotated and slid into her berth.

Lunch in O'Sheehans. While we were waiting there for our Travel Buddies to join us, we asked the bartender (Amir? - awesome guy!) for a couple of Bushwackers. We wanted to try something new in drinks and that sounded good. Unfortunately, he was out of the banana stuff for the drink. We said we could wait until staff brought him another mixer of it.

Instead, he made us two mudslides (never had them before) and were instantly hooked. Once we finished those, he had the Bushwackers ready for us. They were YUM too!

We took Travel Buddies into Juneau for shopping, and they learned about the high-pressure jewelry sales just to get their free pendants. Some things you just have to let them experience for themselves.

We debated riding the Mount Roberts tram, but decided $33/per person was a bit steeper than we wanted to pay.

From where NCL berths at Juneau, there are shuttle buses running into town (where the Mt Roberts' tram is). On the drive back, our driver shared a little story with us... a poem about a hard rock miner. No one else tipped him, but I figured if he had a story like that to fit into a mere 5-minute drive, he deserved a fiver from us!

Dinner that night was back to Summer Palace. But, we brought along our bottle of bubbly for being Silver Latitudes members.

JuneauCollage-02-L.jpg

NOTE TO NCL REPS READING THIS: Wife and I don't normally like sparkling anything (soda is good, but not wine or juice) - Wife isn't a wine drinker, and I prefer reds. What can we get instead on future cruises? Two liter of diet Pepsi? A bottle of Red Wine? Anything? Otherwise, it may sit unopened in the room. Or passed to a random stranger in the hall.

But, we had travel buddies, so we brought our "sparkling wine" and had it served at our dinner table for our special occasion. (it's ok, but not enough that we want to have any again outside of a social function). If there hadn't been four of, would have just ignored the bottle and gotten a mudslide or Bushwacker from Amir in O'Sheehans. Staff was great, food yummy. Much toasting and burping was had.

Headed up to Spinnaker afterward (did this most nights) and watched the game show (if there was one) then watched our ladies dance. Once we headed back to the room, well... the towel animal on our bed isn't telling and neither are we.

NOTE TO NCL REPS READING THIS: Wife and I don't normally like sparkling anything (soda is good, but not wine or juice) - Wife isn't a wine drinker, and I prefer reds. What can we get instead on future cruises? Two liter of diet Pepsi? A bottle of Red Wine? Anything? Otherwise, it may sit unopened in the room. Or passed to a random stranger in the hall.

My wife and I have the same feeling about the sparkling wine. We're gong on this cruise next month in a suite.

A few weeks ago we received an email from the concierge asking if we wanted anything special setup in our cabin for when we board. I asked if it would be possible to not get the sparkling wine but instead an extra bottle of water. Her reply: "I just received word from the ship advised we will not be able to exchange a bottle of complimentary sparkling wine to a bottled water."

Don

And we're in Skagway today! (well this day last week).

Skagway1-L.jpg

Started the morning sitting in the Great Outdoors as the Pearl slowly eased into her berth, and I saw a familiar ship about to join us in Skagway harbor. Yep, the Jewell. She and the Pearl are my two favorite ships. (Also pictured, Energy Plus, the ship's party band, and some pasta.)

Wife found her favorite breakfast, waffle with banana compote (I had bacon again). Then we headed off for the train ride through White Pass.

Skagway2-L.jpg

The train ride is a good little jaunt. Once you're clear of town, you're allowed out on the platforms to either end of the cars. Just don't stand on that little "apron" between the cars. Doing so is a good way to see the tracks close up if it comes loose. Just don't do it!

Skagway3-L.jpg

This is Alaska (and Canada eventually) it's chilly. So each car has a stove heater, as well as a toilet. Pull and push handle to flush. The car was comfortable. Don't worry, those in the back, become those in front. Look at the bench seats (left bottom of the pic above) and you'll see the backs flip up and over. You keep the same row when you get to the end of the journey - but switch to the seat across the aisle. The train does not actually turn around, you do! The engine decouples, then switches tracks, runs to the other end, and re-couples to pull you in the other direction.

Skagway4-L.jpg

Remember, when photographing through glass, turn OFF the flash. Try to shoot at an angle, and get the camera as close to the glass as possible. Even then, I still ended up with some glare and reflections when I photographed through the windows. But, it's warmer in the cars.

Skagway5-L.jpg

We made it to just across the Canadian border! We were honorary Canucks for a few minutes while the engine did it's swticheroo. The path in the photo lower left is the old trail that the prospectors heading into Yukon had to walk as many as 30 times back and forth to get their one-ton Grubstake banked before Canadian officials would allow them into look for gold.

Skagway6-L.jpg

The tour guides on the train will come through and sell some caps, DVDS, and photobooks of the train ride. Wife let me buy a hat. I was happy. Have cash. Hats were $10 US and the combo of the Hat + DVD + PhotoBook was $20. they won't sell the photo book separate. It's only part of the combo.

After the ride, we went back to the ship to sleep. Travel Buddies explored Skagway, and got more free trinkets after suffering through the jewelry sales pitches. Ended up back in spinnaker for music and to watch our ladies dance.

Thanks for your detailed review of the White Pass train ride. Looks like you had decent weather. I am doing it in September and wondered how the seating switch works. Love the Pearl, we did a 15 day Panama Canal on her last year, and we have also cruised on Jewel and Gem. ....great ships.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

My wife and I have the same feeling about the sparkling wine. We're gong on this cruise next month in a suite.

A few weeks ago we received an email from the concierge asking if we wanted anything special setup in our cabin for when we board. I asked if it would be possible to not get the sparkling wine but instead an extra bottle of water. Her reply: "I just received word from the ship advised we will not be able to exchange a bottle of complimentary sparkling wine to a bottled water."

Don

Wow, one would think a Suite Passenger would get consideration from Concierge. One bottle of water cannot cost more than wine? Perhaps, they do not want to put extra burden on Butler? We were also hoping to change Sparking wine to another type of wine. I guess, it will not happen. My philosophy....never hurts to ask.

Glacier bay... nuf said.

Glaciers-01-XL.jpg

Well, really good and informative stuff from the rangers. Go see them.

Glaciers-02-XL.jpg

Hint. It's CHILLY up there. Dress in layers. Grab a beach towel off the pool deck if you need a cover up.

Glaciers-03-XL.jpg

Otherwise, we just sat on Deck 7 and watched. Those little orange dots in the upper left photo... those are 2 person kayaks. We were about 1 mile away from this glacier, according to the Ranger.

Then we had lunch in Lotus Garden. That was confusing. We couldn't figure out if the parts after the appetizers were a full course, or if you needed to select one from part B and one from part C... Got more food than we needed but made a valiant effort to eat it all.

Later, we got Bushwacked up in O'Sheehans. I think the drinks were happy to see us.

Glaciers-04-XL.jpg

Wow, one would think a Suite Passenger would get consideration from Concierge. One bottle of water cannot cost more than wine? Perhaps, they do not want to put extra burden on Butler? We were also hoping to change Sparking wine to another type of wine. I guess, it will not happen. My philosophy....never hurts to ask.

We always use it to have a relaxed cabin :evilsmile: morning with mimosas. Order Orange juice from room service or get some from buffet the day before

The person to ask in this case is the butler. A good butler has the ability to make things like exchanging wine for water happen. A good butler will amaze you with the magic they can perform.

Final Update: Ketchikan (the Liquid Sunshine town), Vancouver BC, and Seattle:

Ketch-01-XL.jpg

One of my breakfasts in the Great Outdoors. Yes I had bacon! We moored right next the Aleutian Ballad of Deadliest Catch fame. I wanted to go out on her for the Crabbing show, but we had already spent our excursion budget on the train ride.

A crewman makes sure the Pearl is shiny!

The "Employee Motivator, Josh" can be seen in the Tongass trading post #2, kitty-corner across from the first Tongas you get to off the pier. Note: Josh makes sure that store #2 has free coffee (in the pot - back by the chocolate bar. If you want a bag to take home, you still have to purchase that).

Ketch-03-XL.jpg

This trip gave a weird sea day... Half of it was on Friday when we left Ketchikan, and the other half before we got to BC. It was suitably foggy and drizzly most of the way.

BC-1-XL.jpg

My camera does Panoramas when I tell it to: Here's the harbor side, the Emerald Princess docked next to us in V:BC, and the view off the bow of the ship (Scenic car park).

Seattle-XL.jpg

We did express disembark and parted ways with travel buddies briefly. Wife and I walked a mile to Pioneer Square, dropped our bags at the Best Western (thumbs up for the hotel). Travel Buddies were spending some more time in Washington on and Oregon, we were flying back home on Monday. So travel buddies picked us up for one more day together.

We went to the Space Needle and Chihuly Glass Gallery. Since we had to say goodbye to our favorite crew members, the Washy-Washy guys, I had to substitute with my little bottle of hand-sani. They wouldn't let me sing the washy-washy song though. Something about "tone-deaf" and "Strangle a cat" were the mutters I heard.

Great review and pics. Since you seem like you enjoy a good party, wondering if there are any musicians or shows that you loved or hated. Thanks again, your review has me even more excited. Especially the Glacier Bay pics.

Great review and pics. Since you seem like you enjoy a good party, wondering if there are any musicians or shows that you loved or hated. Thanks again, your review has me even more excited. Especially the Glacier Bay pics.

Normally, since I don't dance, wife and I spend a lot of time lounge hopping and finding the various musicians to listen to.

We didn't do that this trip. Wife and Travel Buddy #2 were dance nuts - so we almost alway finished in Spinnaker to watch them dance.

Main dance company is good. Legends of Rock show was excellent, except for the muffled sound. Talking with some of my sound engineer friends, we've decided that they probably had the feeds for the band one notch too high, and had to bump the vocals up to compensate. We were toward the back of the main middle section, before the walkway that cuts between the lower and upper sections. So, we should have been in the prime listening area.

BTW: My ears were ringing when we left that show. Wish I'd remembered that I had a sound meter app on my phone (which was with me).

The other show by the company was good. Wife and travel buddies went to that on the last day.

Travel Buddies made it to the "adults only" with the comedian. They said it was very good.

The Acrobatic show "Angels" is also recommended highly.

Energy Plus (house dance band) did a great job. The 1969 Rock show with the house show/jazz band and the singers was good as well. Seating is limited in Spinnaker. Get there early. -- While we waiting on one of the game shows in Spinnaker on a different night, the House Band did a jazz set. I was happy. I love jazz.

Lace was the guitarist/singer. Caught his show in the Atrium once while we were drinking Bushwackers in O'Sheehans. Decent, what we saw.

The Juggler/Commedian was decent. But, his show was low energy. I've been spoiled with jugglers who have high-energy (Romano Fredianni). Show was good, but at a slower pace.

BTW: he also does a very informative lecture the next day in the theater about the life and time of Charlie Chaplin. If you know little to nothing about Chaplin, it's VERY informative. Same low key style as his show.

Side note: I'm a docent at the Santa Monica Pier. In this show, he sounded like I did when I first began giving history tours. I'm still learning how to personalize each set of facts I tell into a series of stories with punchlines or hooks. His lecture could benefit from such an approach. It was on the dry side, but very informative.