First Departure After Transatlantic

highrisesea

I'm boarding the Reflection in Fort Lauderdale Nov. 3, the day it arrives from a TA crossing. I'm assuming there might be "issues" because the whole crew will need to go through customs. And, I imagine there will be a seasonal change up in crew and entertainers. Should I expect late boarding? Who has experienced this and what can you tell me? (I raised this question in the roll call, but got a limited response) Thanks!

Hi highrisesea,

We were on the first cruise after the TA on the Reflection on November 7, 2015.

It was a major malfunction but not the fault of Celebrity.

Many issues caused the problems:

• Complete crew immigration.
  • Coast Guard inspection.
  • Numerous other governmental issues.
  • Bomb scare by a passenger trying to be funny (Not funny for him, he was denied boarding).

Boarding was delayed until at least 2:00 PM. Departure was delayed.

Everyone arrived at the time they normally would which made for extremely long lines outside of terminal. Celebrity personnel tried to keep everyone updated with situation. Communication was very good. Celebrity provided chilled bottles of water.

Passengers were extremely cooperative and understanding (except a few idiots).

My only advise is to plan to arrive at port as you normally would and if there are delays, don't let things bother you that you can't control. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself.

You are on the best vacation possible, a CRUISE.

Good luck.

Bob

Edited by Ravbo
I can't spell !!!!

Hi highrisesea,

We were on the first cruise after the TA on the Reflection on November 7, 2015.

It was a major malfunction but not the fault of Celebrity.

Many issues caused the problems:

• Complete crew immigration.
  • Coast Guard inspection.
  • Numerous other governmental issues.
  • Bomb scare by a passenger trying to be funny (Not funny for him, he was denied boarding).

Boarding was delayed until at least 2:00 PM. Departure was delayed.

Everyone arrived at the time they normally would which made for extremely long lines outside of terminal. Celebrity personnel tried to keep everyone updated with situation. Communication was very good. Celebrity provided chilled bottles of water.

Passengers were extremely cooperative and understanding (except a few idiots).

My only advise is to plan to arrive at port as you normally would and if there are delays, don't let things bother you that you can't control. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself.

You are on the best vacation possible, a CRUISE.

Good luck.

Bob

I will just go knowing that anything can happen. Maybe a stiff bloody Mary before heading for the ship will be in order. Thanks for your reply.

I would suggest you not arrive early, especially if you have physical issues. The lines will be long and there will often be delay as more people have to go thru checks. On our cruise, there were concerns about some of the individuals on board and the process did take a long time. I really don't enjoy waiting in line when on a vacation. Reminded me of a theme park in Florida....

Well we were first Caribbean cruise after a TA two times. It wasn't any different than another cruise. We expected delays but there were none. We got to port about 11:15 and got right on and things went smoothly as normal. Guess things can happen, but they can happen anytime..

I can't agree more with the advice given above. We were on the Oct 2016 Reflection TA. Disembarking the ship and navigating the terminal was a nightmare. They were at least an hour and a half behind schedule in getting folks off the ship. My recollection is that boarding was delayed until after 1:00 PM. These delays aren't necessarily Celebrity's fault, but rather the Port Authority. Granted our TA ended in Miami, but I imagine the issues noted above will be the same in FLL.

Our experience in 2014 was similar to Ravbo's issues in November 2015. Except they weren't handing out water to waiting passengers. We were expecting a delay so weren't surprised and it didn't ruin our cruise. It was closer to 2:30 when boarding began. We were seated in a lounge for Aqua Class and suites, but I can't imagine where they found space for all of the waiting passengers.

It's interesting how people on the same cruise have different experiences.

We were also on the 2016 Reflection TA and debarkation was delayed. We didn't do self debarkation & weren't in a Suite but we're off the ship by 8:20 through customs and in Uber on the way to FLL by 8:45. Others we know didn't get off & through customs until almost 11.

Expect delays and be pleasantly surprised if they are none:)