Any hope in getting on a Sold Out cruise?

cymblue

My parents invited me to join them on the Caribbean Princess leaving on Nov. 29th. I realized way too late that I did not have a current passport, so I got that process started and just received my passport today. I went to book my room and the cruise is completely sold out. As of yesterday there were rooms available. With the ship leaving in about ten days, what is the likelihood that a room will open up? If the entire cruise is sold out, could my parents still add me as a third person to their room? I really didn't want to do that, but at this point I'm just hoping to go on the cruise. I'm a teacher and could really use this break, plus I've already made all my sub plans and everything. Can you give me any hope/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If your parents are in a cabin with a third berth, and the muster station that cabin is assigned to is not over capacity, it may be possible to add you as a third person.

But have you spoken to Princess or your TA, or are you just going by the Princess website? You can call and be put on a wait list for the cruise. If it just went fully sold out 24 hours ago you should be at or near the top of the list, depending on how many different cabin categories (and prices) you would be willing to take if any cabin should open up. Know also that it is very likely the fare you would have to pay should you clear the list will be close to full price, not whatever promotion that may have been in effect prior to selling out.

And not to pile it on, but as this cruise is a closed-loop round trip you could have booked with just your drivers license and birth certificate as ID. (Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way...)

Edited by fishywood

So far I've only looked at the Princess site. I don't see a way to get on the waitlist from the site, so I will be calling first thing in the morning and asking about availability and waitlist.

Wow that is quite the bummer about not needing a passport. I took my parents' word on that because they cruise all the time. This will be my first cruise as an adult, although I did go once 17 years ago as a teenager.

While I don't wish ill on anyone, there is always the possibility of a last minute cancelation. Stuff does happen that could prevent someone from cruising and that could open a cabin for you.

As above, if there is space in your parent's cabin and at their muster station, you can book as a third person in their cabin. The only way you'll know that is to call Princess or the TA they used. But 3 adults in a cabin is not my favorite situation. Those cabins aren't too big........

My parents invited me to join them on the Caribbean Princess leaving on Nov. 29th. I realized way too late that I did not have a current passport, so I got that process started and just received my passport today. I went to book my room and the cruise is completely sold out. As of yesterday there were rooms available. With the ship leaving in about ten days, what is the likelihood that a room will open up? If the entire cruise is sold out, could my parents still add me as a third person to their room? I really didn't want to do that, but at this point I'm just hoping to go on the cruise. I'm a teacher and could really use this break, plus I've already made all my sub plans and everything. Can you give me any hope/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Interesting....I did two mock bookings for you on two different travel websites and found all kinds of available cabins for the Caribbean Princess Nov 29th sailing; however, Princess' site is showing "sold out." I would call Princess directly and find out the status of that sailing. It could be something weird related to Princess' booking site that closed off bookings when indeed their are available bookable cabins. Just don't assume if any website show sold out it's really "sold out" especially if there were plenty of available cabins the previous day. Call directly and talk to someone.

I just looked for that 11/29 cruise on the web site of one of our favored cruise agencies and they are showing quite a few available cabins...although it looks like all the regular balcony cabins are gone. But there are inside, outside. and even some suites available.

Hank

Update! Last night everything was showing as sold out (I checked over and over again), but this morning they weren't sold out anymore. And the price was the same as I had been seeing! So I booked my room today. Yes, I am staying in a room solo - my parents and I are splitting the cost. Not ideal financially, but it be relaxing and the rate was still relatively reasonable ($700 plus taxes and fees).

Thanks all for your support and suggestions!

Yes, you can use this but it must be an original, with the raised seal. Have a great cruise.

If using a birth certificate to cruise, it must be a certified copy. In most states, the original is maintained by the state and never sent out. Also, the raised seal no longer exists in some states and had been replaced by a holographic area on the certificate.

The issue isn't the seal vs. holograph. The point is that it must be a certified birth certificate issued by the state. A xerox copy, a certificate from a hospital or otherwise--no good!

And just to be complete about the rule that the cruise must be a "closed loop" cruise -- in and out of the same port -- this only applies in the Caribbean AFAIK. Not sure if it would be applicable to a closed loop cruise visiting Canada, for instance.

Edited by cruisestitch

And just to be complete about the rule that the cruise must be a "closed loop" cruise -- in and out of the same port -- this only applies in the Caribbean AFAIK. Not sure if it would be applicable to a closed loop cruise visiting Canada, for instance.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-air-faq

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative allows US and Canadian citizens to re-enter the US via land and sea when returning from any participating nation in the Western Hemisphere while presenting any WHTI-compatible proof of citizenship (passport or alternative). Cruises that stop in Canada, Mexico and Bermuda are included. (But obviously the birth certificate/state ID combo is only good for US citizens on cruise ships)

Update! Last night everything was showing as sold out (I checked over and over again), but this morning they weren't sold out anymore. And the price was the same as I had been seeing! So I booked my room today. Yes, I am staying in a room solo - my parents and I are splitting the cost. Not ideal financially, but it be relaxing and the rate was still relatively reasonable ($700 plus taxes and fees).

Did you call Princess and get on the waitlist? Its around a $200 deposit thats fully refundable if you don't get onboard.

Even if your parents cabin can accommodate 3 I would think by now all the 3/4 berths on this sailing are at capacity. So if you get a cabin off the waitlist you will have to pay for a solo which is 180-200% of the fare.

Did you call Princess and get on the waitlist? Its around a $200 deposit thats fully refundable if you don't get onboard.

Even if your parents cabin can accommodate 3 I would think by now all the 3/4 berths on this sailing are at capacity. So if you get a cabin off the waitlist you will have to pay for a solo which is 180-200% of the fare.

Colo - post #11 states OP was able to book a cabin.

You have great parents and I know they are going to enjoy having you with them. :D

• 6 months later...
I just looked for that 11/29 cruise on the web site of one of our favored cruise agencies and they are showing quite a few available cabins...although it looks like all the regular balcony cabins are gone. But there are inside, outside. and even some suites available.

Hank

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm in a sold out situation and looking for an available room. Any hints on the "favored" agency(ies) to check?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm in a sold out situation and looking for an available room. Any hints on the "favored" agency(ies) to check?

I would go directly through Princess place a deposit and get on their waitlist

as soon as possible.