Caribbean Islands

focus60

Hi Everyone, We are on our first P and O cruise in November in the Caribbean, doing the following islands : Barbados, Curacao, Aruba, Grenada, St Vincent, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, St Maarten and back to Barbados.

What we would like to know is which islands are probably best for sightseeing and which are best for just lazing on the beach?

Thank you in advance:):)

Hi Everyone, We are on our first P and O cruise in November in the Caribbean, doing the following islands : Barbados, Curacao, Aruba, Grenada, St Vincent, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, St Maarten and back to Barbados.

What we would like to know is which islands are probably best for sightseeing and which are best for just lazing on the beach?

From the list of your destinations these are the ones we would target for beach days because of decent beaches and ease of getting there:

Barbados - Carlisle Bay choice of beach bars with facilities (The Boatyard more lively vibe or further along to Harbour Lights which is quieter) You can walk to Carlisle Bay but it's about half an hour - not so bad early but not recommended when it's really hot. Plenty of taxis dockside. Our you can catch a local bus from the centre or get a taxi to Accra Beach which we like. It's a bit further out. Or, get the local bus from the bus station along the promenade near the port in the opposite direction towards Speightstown and get off there or at an earlier point at Holetown - beautiful beaches. With a late departure from Barbados you have plenty of time without worrying too much about getting back in time.

Grenada & St Maarten are both easy water taxis transfers from jetties close to the berth to the beach.

Aruba - again lots of beaches on a long strip of sandy coast line. Local buses run from the bus station opposite where you dock. Ask the driver to put you off at the beach. As with the other ports, plenty of taxis around too.

Antigua we use the local bus to Church Valley beach - there are several along this stretch of coastline (I think it's Turner's at the far end but we prefer CV)

St Lucia does have lovely beaches - we usually make for Rodney Bay but I think taking a private tour with Cosol would be recommended by many. Great day, reasonable price and you see a lot of the island. Google him book online and pay at the end of the tour.

Curacao is an interesting town to explore and there are local mini bus tours you can pick up from near the swing bridge.

St Vincent we've only done one beach which we weren't too keen on so can't help much with that.

Dominica is a lush island and perhaps a good one to do an island tour. There's not too much in Roseau although we do like the vibe and a stroll around but half a day is probably enough.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have some more ideas for you too.

From the list of your destinations these are the ones we would target for beach days because of decent beaches and ease of getting there:

Barbados - Carlisle Bay choice of beach bars with facilities (The Boatyard more lively vibe or further along to Harbour Lights which is quieter) You can walk to Carlisle Bay but it's about half an hour - not so bad early but not recommended when it's really hot. Plenty of taxis dockside. Our you can catch a local bus from the centre or get a taxi to Accra Beach which we like. It's a bit further out. Or, get the local bus from the bus station along the promenade near the port in the opposite direction towards Speightstown and get off there or at an earlier point at Holetown - beautiful beaches. With a late departure from Barbados you have plenty of time without worrying too much about getting back in time.

Grenada & St Maarten are both easy water taxis transfers from jetties close to the berth to the beach.

Aruba - again lots of beaches on a long strip of sandy coast line. Local buses run from the bus station opposite where you dock. Ask the driver to put you off at the beach. As with the other ports, plenty of taxis around too.

Antigua we use the local bus to Church Valley beach - there are several along this stretch of coastline (I think it's Turner's at the far end but we prefer CV)

St Lucia does have lovely beaches - we usually make for Rodney Bay but I think taking a private tour with Cosol would be recommended by many. Great day, reasonable price and you see a lot of the island. Google him book online and pay at the end of the tour.

Curacao is an interesting town to explore and there are local mini bus tours you can pick up from near the swing bridge.

St Vincent we've only done one beach which we weren't too keen on so can't help much with that.

Dominica is a lush island and perhaps a good one to do an island tour. There's not too much in Roseau although we do like the vibe and a stroll around but half a day is probably enough.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have some more ideas for you too.

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed answer, you have certainly given us something to think about:):):)

Are you on Britannia 4/5th November? If so, we're on the same cruise. I think you'll find it's not going to Curaçao now, but Bonaire instead.

Hi Garfunkel, No we are on the cruise after you. The 18/19th November and as we are aware at the moment we are still going to Curacao

Hi Garfunkel, No we are on the cruise after you. The 18/19th November and as we are aware at the moment we are still going to Curacao

Ah right. I really like Curaçao so a little disappointed, but Bonaire is lovely too. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a detailed answer, you have certainly given us something to think about:):):)

You're welcome. Correction : the beach on Antigua we like is Valley Church not Church Valley - I often get it the wrong way round!

If after doing some research, you have any further questions, just ask and I'll help if I can.

Here is the link for Cosol - brilliant trip with food included and beers/water/rum punch on board too! ;)

http://www.cosol-tours.com/

Edited by kruzseeka

Antigua

Jacqui O's or Cecelia's, both shabby chic class, but JO is closed on a Monday.

Both are well away from the Cruise Herds, no matter how many ships are in port.

Book your lunch and day in advance.

We did Cosol tours in St. Lucia and it was a great day. There is also the sugar train in St.Lucia which is supposed to be a good trip but I think you have to book with cruise ship.

We also did a tour in St.Maartan where we were taken to an Eguana farm and then on to the French side of the island overlooking the Atlantic and saw a man who lets you hold sea urchins and then we had an hour or so at a lovely beach called Orient Beach on the French side, then had lunch in the French port of Marigot , finally we went to the beach next to the airport runway where the plains come into land very low over the beach. It was a good day. I can't remember the name of the tour company but we found it on the St.Maartan website.

In Dominica we did River Tubing with the wacky rollers which is really fun.

Magicdi

You can do that train independently, but Cosol's is so much better. We also did the same itinerary as you except the iguana farm. So glad we didn't go there as I am terrified of them.

Very easy to book all trips in the Caribbean yourself. Just look on here, Tripadvisor, or wait until you get there.

Magicdi, might you be thinking of Twin Island Tours for St Maarten? We used them for an island tour which was pretty much as you described and they were brilliant. Vehicle was stocked with a cooler full of rum punch, beer, water and pop, which we were told had to be empty by the end of the tour. We shopped in Marigot and lunched at Maho Beach, the Sunset Bar there does fantastic pizza - in fact all the food we saw being served looked great and smelled delish! I think the iguana farm has closed now.

kruzseeka, when we were in Dominica at Christmas Roseau was still feeling the effects of the hurricane (Erica?) earlier in the year - even the couple of places of interest such as the church had been damaged beyond recognition. Having done a couple of long tours on previous days we wanted to just wander around and spend some money locally, but even away from the main drag we were pestered so much by people offering rain forest tours that after a couple of hours that, and heavy showers every 15 mins, drove us back to the ship.

focus60, I believe I'm correct in saying Grenada's beaches are not up to much - mainly volcanic black sand. We did a tour with Grenada Sunsation which was fantastic, particularly if you are interested in cooking and spices. We went to sites such as the Concorde Waterfall and Grand Etang Crater Lake, and the Nutmeg Factory, but the highlight for me was driving through the rain forest and having our guide pick spices and fruit right off the roadside. Our guide, Glenn, was great and the tour was very good value.

Magicdi, might you be thinking of Twin Island Tours for St Maarten? We used them for an island tour which was pretty much as you described and they were brilliant. Vehicle was stocked with a cooler full of rum punch, beer, water and pop, which we were told had to be empty by the end of the tour. We shopped in Marigot and lunched at Maho Beach, the Sunset Bar there does fantastic pizza - in fact all the food we saw being served looked great and smelled delish! I think the iguana farm has closed now.

kruzseeka, when we were in Dominica at Christmas Roseau was still feeling the effects of the hurricane (Erica?) earlier in the year - even the couple of places of interest such as the church had been damaged beyond recognition. Having done a couple of long tours on previous days we wanted to just wander around and spend some money locally, but even away from the main drag we were pestered so much by people offering rain forest tours that after a couple of hours that, and heavy showers every 15 mins, drove us back to the ship.

focus60, I believe I'm correct in saying Grenada's beaches are not up to much - mainly volcanic black sand. We did a tour with Grenada Sunsation which was fantastic, particularly if you are interested in cooking and spices. We went to sites such as the Concorde Waterfall and Grand Etang Crater Lake, and the Nutmeg Factory, but the highlight for me was driving through the rain forest and having our guide pick spices and fruit right off the roadside. Our guide, Glenn, was great and the tour was very good value.

That sounds like a good tour at St Maarten groovechick - will keep that in mind. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm really sorry to hear of the hurricane damage to Roseau. It's got a lot of character (don't know if you've ever been in the bar on a corner on the main street just up from the port it's a bit like a barn but usually has live music and a great atmosphere) and we like to wander through the botanical gardens and round by the church. What a shame and no doubt has had a very negative impact on their community.

I'm not sure about beaches generally in Grenada but we like Grand Anse (the one the water taxi takes you to) - it's nice sand and plenty of loungers etc. if you did want one close by the port.

Here is some info I wrote a couple of years ago so the prices are probably a bit out now.

A little about some Caribbean ports of call

St Maarten

Port:

Catch the water ferry ($6 for an all day wristband last year) to the beach from the cruise terminal. Great place we have always stayed in the bay so can’t comment on the island. It is very American lots of nice bars and the place to buy duty free, jewellery. Sunbeds and brollies on the beach usually in front of the beach bars so someone comes out and you pay them (I think it was $10 for 2 beds last yr) then they will run back and forward if you want drinks or snacks!

Ships excursions we have done here are the Golden Eagle catamaran lovely afternoon cruising down to ‘airport’ beach watching the planes land, snorkelling off a lovely beach and loads of rum on the way back! I have also done the America’s cup yachting here a great experience.

Antigua

Port:

The first time we came here it rained!! So we didn’t go anywhere but walked around the town and had coffee. There are a few nice arty shops if you like that as well as the usual touristy ones quite a nice place for a wander.

We have also been kayaking here out in the mangrove swamps! Also visited one off the small islands on the Atlantic side of Antigua, Bird Island the sea is very rough on that side not for the faint hearted. It is a very beautiful island so probably a good island to go out and about there are the English Harbour and Nelsons Dockyard, which are popular places to visit. If you are a cricket fan there is a cricket tour you and do which visits the test ground and you meet one of the Caribbean cricket stars. We have used the local taxi’s here but do look after your belongings, as this is where our youngest son ‘lost’ or had stolen his iphone. Please don’t be put off by this, as 99% of the people on the islands are friendly. On our last visit here we went on the Crusoe Island excursion this was fantastic, about 40 people on their own island for the day open bar, music and lunch thoroughly recommend if you are a beach bum.

Dickinson beach break, nice beach can get busy but big and long enough for all

Dominica

Port:

There is a warehouse where the ship docks, the locals set up a market there so ok for a wander. The town is about a 20-minute walk away not very much there though. We have also docked right in Road Town right in front of the local market depends if there are two ships in port.

We have done the Arial Tram in the rain forest here I liked it. Great for seeing the rainforest, plants, trees and I did see hummingbirds don’t think P&O do this one anymore though. We have also been river tubing here three times we loved it but only great for those who love the water and getting wet. Tried the tubing on the Pagua River in the Carib territory but the journey there and back is very long and over very poor roads so if tubing on the Layou river is available this is a much better option.

We have also visited the waterfalls here a couple of times then on to a black sand beach (Mero) for a couple of hours. Not an island for beaches it is a very much a tropical rainforest island with small narrow roads, mountains and valleys you do need to get out of the port to experience it is a lovely unspoilt island but I would probably always do a ship excursion here due to the roads and terrain, if you are late back on a ship tour the ship will always wait for you!

Barbados

The actual cruise terminal has lots of shops etc but walk (about 15mins) or taxi it to Bridgetown a lot more here. As far as beach you could get a taxi to Malibu on Brighton Beach it is about 10 mins from the ship and for about $5 you can have a tour of the distillery. There are beds and a bit of shade on the beach it is an absolutely beautiful beach

If you take a taxi anywhere on most islands you only pay the driver when he returns to take you back to the ship just give yourselves plenty of time to get back before the time they want you back onboard. There are lots of things to see and do in Barbados depending on whether you are beach fans, like the fauna and flora things or getting out on the water. My favourite time here was on a catamaran sailing down the coast stopping at Sandy Lane beach then out to a reef to swim with turtles. Most times here though we just walk into Bridgetown then out the other side onto Carlisle Bay for a swim and a beer. (Check it out on Google earth)

St Lucia

We have always gone out here, there are two cruise terminals the one on the right side of the bay does not have much, on the left side it is much better with shops and bars. Lots of taxi’s offering trips

We have visited Pitons and the volcano. The last couple of times we have got a taxi to Wharf Bar on Choc beach. There is a small Sandals resort at one end but it is quite quiet there is never that many people there. Unfortunately now this beach is only half as lovely as our first visit as during the rainy season a river flows out into the bay, and a lot of sand and palm trees have been washed away. We have on our last couple of times gone up to Rodney Bay gets very busy if there are a couple of ships in port but it’s a nice beach plenty of bars, shops if you want to wander off the beach. For a first timer in St Lucia I would probably visit the Pitons and the volcano whether you do it in an organised excursion or take one of the local taxi’s maybe share with someone else from the ship.

Aruba

On our first visit here our friends got married so our day was spent at their wedding! We did go to a beautiful beach for photos after before heading back to the ship. Very cheap package for a wedding think it was about $600 and it was a lovely service in the local registry office, it was arranged back in the UK as Aruba being Dutch no residency was needed.

Aruba is an island much like Barbados of white powder sand beaches and resort hotels. Our last couple of times here we have caught the local bus to Eagle beach its only about 5 US dollars return for both of us! The sunbeds and straw umbrella cost us over $20 on the beach and a couple of beers were expensive at $6 dollars each though.

Bonaire

Went to a coral beach (Eden beach) for snorkelling as the reef is very close to the shore amazing for this as this island is one of the top dive sites in the world, beach shoes are a good idea as the sand is crushed coral We walked off the ship in the afternoon, as there is a small market and craft stalls set up on the quayside and few bars, we had a couple of drinks in one sharing the table and nearby tree with come of the largest iguanas I have ever seen!

Recently we have taken one of the ‘Chiva’ buses around the island seeing the flamingos, salt lakes and the slave huts then stopping off at a lagoon/beach for a couple of hours.

Curacao

First time we visited we docked right inside Willemstad the floating bridge was opened to let us pass through. We took a taxi to Sea Aquarium beach nice sandy beach quite close to Willemstad for a couple of hours, although if there are other ships in port this can get quite busy. Then spent a couple of hours in Willemstad across the floating bridge is a nice shopping area, restaurants and bars. Second time here we docked at the Mega pier just outside Willemstad the cruise terminal area has nice bars and shops and you can walk into Willemstad in about 10 minutes. We did a beach transfer here to a beach just a little further up from the Sea Aquarium beach. There is a highly recommended local bus company called Irie Tours, which have a tour, stop at the Curacao distillery, and an hour or so at the beach admission price included all for $20 (also beer and soft drinks!) . Blue Bay beach is another nice beach transfer with calm snorkelling in the bay.

Grenada

The water taxi’s directly next to the ships pier will take you to Grand Anse beach and bring you back again, think the last time we used them it was $5 dollars each way? Might have gone up to $6 now, make sure you get some small $ bills when getting your holiday money. The water taxi’s run all day every 15 minutes or so. Grand Anse beach is huge so if you are looking for a quiet spot don’t take the first sun beds offered walk further along the beach. There is a market area where souvenirs, cold drinks, food and toilets are available. We no longer go to this beach having found our ‘ideal’ beach a bit further a field the name of which I have been asked not to say!! Grenada is the spice island of the Caribbean so a place to taste and buy the wonderful spices available here we usually go home with a few but jerk chicken is probably the only thing we have cooked at home!

Tortola

We have visited several times here is a brief over view of the excursions we have done as value for money the Tortola excursions are cheaper than the other islands.

Beach transfer – this is usually to Cane Garden Beach a lovely beach but can be crowded if more than one ship is port. This is easily available by local open sided buses and cheaper than the ship excursion costs just allow plenty of time to get there and back. (Once our buses gear box fell out!! Had to wait for his mate to come and pick us up luckily it was on the way there so we had all day)

Virgin Gorda – have done this twice it is about a 45 minute ferry or fast motor boat ride across but it is an amazing place. It does involve quite a bit of walking and if you wish to go to Devils Bay you have to climb up rocks, steps etc., go in water up to your knees and be able to bend down quite low. Again if there is more than one ship docked or a ship tendering off Virgin Gorda it can be busy. The first time we went here we were lucky enough to be the only visitors apart from the yachts and private motor boats, last time it was very busy as two ships were docked in Tortola and a Silversea cruiser was tendering locally.

Jost Van Dyke – a 45 minute motor boat ride through Sir Francis Drake Channel takes you to an island on the other side of Tortola where you have a couple of hours on a fine white sand beach White Bay. There are a couple of bars here and you get a snack and a drink included in the price. Good value and a nice excursion.

Virgin Island Sailaway – did this last time unfortunately we did not have the greatest of weather quite showery and overcast the whole time. A catamaran sails you to Peter Island where you have chance to snorkel. I did enjoy this we saw rays and an abundance of fish. A stop on Norman Island at a beach club for a drink you can also buy lunch here, the beach is not great but then we did not have the weather that day. An ok excursion good for a bit of snorkelling and a sail on a catamaran (obviously the poor weather made it less enjoyable for us)

Skyworld and Cane Garden Beach – great value if you have not been to Tortola you see the island have a great photo opportunity (Skyworld is in fact a restaurant in the middle of the island where you can go on the roof and see for miles on a clear day) then go to Cane Garden Beach for lunch and time on the beach.

St Vincent – not a favourite port the town is quite run down and not a great deal to do locally. There is a water taxi on the pier which will take you round to Villa beach a narrow beach with a few bars etc. can become crowded if lots go there.

Have done the Waterfall and Coast excursion which will take you to the film set from pirates of the Caribbean, after about an hour or so in a bus so you see a bit of the island, lunch at a restaurant then a cruise back to the port.

Escape to Bequia – a catamaran across to Bequia where you have some time on the beach and lunch on-board. I loved this as it was very much real sailing as it can be quite gusty and choppy sailing across but those who don’t have very good sea legs did find it a problem as it is quite a long way, (my husband would not do it again).

Hope you find this useful.

Edited by vizzog

Hi groovechick focus60, I believe I'm correct in saying Grenada's beaches are not up to much - mainly volcanic black sand.

Are you confusing Grenada with St Vincent because Grenada has many fine beaches,

Haven't been to St Vincent, so unlikely - maybe I was thinking of Dominica? I'm pretty sure, though, that on our tour of Grenada, Glenn our guide pointed out the black beaches.

Grand Anse Beach Grenada - that's the one the water taxi takes you to - we've not been to any other (this does us very well!) but it looks as though there are other lovely ones too.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pictures+grenada+beaches&qpvt=pictures+grenada+beaches&qpvt=pictures+grenada+beaches&qpvt=pictures+grenada+beaches&FORM=IGRE

Certainly our experience of Dominica is that it isn't known for its beaches - at least not lots of typical Caribbean sandy beaches although we once docked at Portsmouth and went to Escape Beach which we did like - but it was a bit natural and the 'sand' was very gritty although not really black but with drifts of black volcanic ash - interesting for a change but not like the lovely Barbados, Antigua ........ or Grand Anse beaches.

These pictures indicate the main feature of Dominica - the tropical vegetation rather than beaches.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dominica+escape+beach&qpvt=dominica+escape+beach&qpvt=dominica+escape+beach&qpvt=dominica+escape+beach&FORM=IGRE

• 11 months later...
Here is some info I wrote a couple of years ago so the prices are probably a bit out now.

A little about some Caribbean ports of call

St Vincent – not a favourite port the town is quite run down and not a great deal to do locally. There is a water taxi on the pier which will take you round to Villa beach a narrow beach with a few bars etc. can become crowded if lots go there.

Have done the Waterfall and Coast excursion which will take you to the film set from pirates of the Caribbean, after about an hour or so in a bus so you see a bit of the island, lunch at a restaurant then a cruise back to the port.

Escape to Bequia – a catamaran across to Bequia where you have some time on the beach and lunch on-board. I loved this as it was very much real sailing as it can be quite gusty and choppy sailing across but those who don’t have very good sea legs did find it a problem as it is quite a long way, (my husband would not do it again).

Hope you find this useful.

Hi,

How did you find the Waterfall and Coast Excursion? Trying to plan for a cruise in December and can't find many reviews. It says the excursion is 7hrs long! My hubby would enjoy the Pirates Set as he's a big fan. I'm between this and Bequia. Its our first Caribbean cruise! :)

Overall we see our Caribbean cruise as a time for total relaxation so although the ship will offer you many tours don't feel you ahem to do them. We're all mainly going to the caribbean for the weather and we also like to get a feel for the local towns.

Of the islands listed I cannot emphasise enough the need to do a tour in Dominica. It is the most stunning, unspoilt island but before we went we'd read lots of negatives about it. Like others we used Bumpiing Tours and we were absolutely delighted with them. Our friend was having difficulty walking so they totally customised our tour and we ended up in van with just the four of us. They couldn't do enough for us and we saw far, far more of this beautiful island than any of the P&O tours.

i would also highly recommend Cosol Tours in St Lucia like so many others and for your first visit to Antigua Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbour are well worth a visit. I would recommend getting a taxi from the port and spending a couple of hours at the dockyard etc then stoping off at Valley Church beach on the way back. There's a great little beach bar there and you don't get pestered by lots of vendors. Someone from the ship will tell you where the desk is in town where you organise a price for your taxi and you get a very good deal.

There's not much to see in Aruba so second time we were there we caught local bus for $1 to the beach and it was lovely. Any of the locals will point out the bus station to you and you're looking for a bus going to the Hotel Zone.

There is an hotel called Holland House Hotel on the sea front in St Maarten with a private beach and lovely loungers. It's worth going to that as it's not so busy as the public beach and just next door to it.

Before we did our first cruise I used the Ports of call boards on cruise critic and I found them very very useful if a bit time-consuming.