First Gay Cruise, Atlantis or RSVP?

RollTideGuy

Hi All,

My husband and I are considering booking an All Gay cruise but I'm just not sure which is right for us.

We want to book a Caribbean cruise in early 2018.

I'm a 40 year old Bearish guy and hubs is 28 and in much better shape.

We aren't "party all night" guys but enjoy them for a bit a few times during the cruise.

The Atlantis cruises look like fun but is there diversity there? Would there be other bears on the cruise?

Also, are there other events they have besides the giant parties?

Looking at the RSVP website makes me think they tend to draw an older crowd which may be more our speed but I'd love to hear more about them.

I welcome any feedback, comments, and experiences if you have sailed one or both.

Thank you!

Hi All,

My husband and I are considering booking an All Gay cruise but I'm just not sure which is right for us.

We want to book a Caribbean cruise in early 2018.

I'm a 40 year old Bearish guy and hubs is 28 and in much better shape.

We aren't "party all night" guys but enjoy them for a bit a few times during the cruise.

The Atlantis cruises look like fun but is there diversity there? Would there be other bears on the cruise?

Also, are there other events they have besides the giant parties?

Looking at the RSVP website makes me think they tend to draw an older crowd which may be more our speed but I'd love to hear more about them.

I welcome any feedback, comments, and experiences if you have sailed one or both.

Thank you!

Howdy. I think you have a good read on the two brand identities. RSVP is more 30-somethings and up, and real down-to-earth guys. There's a lot of fun happening, just not so much drama. I have been on four RSVP cruises so far: two Caribbean, one Hawaii, and one Alaska. I had fun on all of them and met great guys. I even did a roommate share on the last one and lived to tell the tale. (It wasn't bad at all). I even went on a couple shore excursions with some "cruise friends."

I have never done an Atlantis cruise, but from reading the news it seems like too much drama; guys killing themselves, going to jail for screwing on the lanai in port, getting arrested for selling drugs, losing control of their bowels on the dance floor because of a few too many drugs. That sort of thing. But I also hear that Atlantis' European cruises are more like RSVP.

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the input, CruiserBruiser!

I think down to earth type guys are more our speed.

I wonder if there is a large group of guys like that on Atlantis too but maybe they aren't in the pics of the parties or marketing ads.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally biased to RSVP here, I admit it, after twelve RSVP cruises and one Atlantis land vacation. From what you have described, you will likely be more comfortable with a RSVP cruise, or if you choose Atlantis, to go with the second one in the winter season - usually in March verses January or early February,

I've been on both Atlantis and RSVP and you will find guys from 21 to 80 - all types including guys from around the world. Unfortunately Atlantis' marketing material only show guys 30ish who are in the gym 6 days a week - sure there are some like that; but it far more diverse then they would like you to believe. They claim sexy men sell cruises...whatever. Anyway, you will find all the traditional cruise stuff just like on a regular mainstream cruise; however, they put on late night dance "themed" parties up on deck. If that's not your thing you will find Karaoke night, the piano bar sing along, cabaret & Broadway shows, etc.plus they bring on the own guest star entertainer. They have something for everyone. It roughly 50/50 singles to couples. Also I've find it there are multiply pools.- one will attract "bear types" and their admirers with the main pool everyone else. They also organize certain evening gatherings...like Bears, leather/Levi, singles, women on board, etc.

We've done 2 Atlantis cruises and 0 RSVP so I can't really comment on them. We did however love the Atlantis cruises and yes there was quite the diversity on the ships. Despite the ads they portray, the ages were very mixed. Some great eye candy but a lot of older folks our age too. We aren't "bar" guys but we had a blast with everyone. Let our hair down as they say. The themed parties are a blast and the tea dances are amazing. Enjoy.

I have been on 1 Atlantis (Hawaii) and 1 RSVP (Caribbean) cruise and I thought they were about the same in terms of passengers and partying. Perhaps Atlantis had a slightly younger group, but there were definitely all ages on board. I also did not see all the wild partying I've read about (there were parties but not noticeably different than RSVP. Entertainment was excellent on both. If I were you I would pick the cruise based on the ship and itinerary, if you have a preference between the cruises being offered by the two companies. I think you will enjoy a cruise with either group.

Also to note - the crew absolutely love doing the all-gay charters. Some even post pone their vacations just to do these charters. It can be the talk of the ship for months. In speaking with the crew they always tells me how friendly and polite the guys are, how they come on board to party and have a good time. They are courteous, polite, non-demanding and say thank you...which is not what they are used too on a regular cruise. Plus they love the dance music. Some of the crew are GLBT so to work a charter is a real treat for them although most tend to be very low key since they are on the job. I've been told on these charters the guys eat half the food, but drink 3X a regular mainstream cruise so the bar revenues and tips are crazy. Also, if there is a guest entertainer you will sometimes see them around the ship. On my last cruise Rosanne Bar came up and laid around the pool, played Drag Bingo with us and danced at the afternoon disco tea dance in the DJ booth.

One key thing. I've done 7 Atlantis and 1 RSVP. The crowd on an Atlantis cruise in the Caribbean is younger, more "buff" and more party oriented than on an Atlantis cruise on a destination cruise like Rio or Tahiti.

An Atlantis Caribbean cruise in 2018 will have much more of a party atmosphere than on from RSVP, if this year's RSVP Caribbean cruise was any indication.

I was on the February. RSVP cruise.It was my first gay cruise. We have been on about 40 mainstream. I like the straight ones more.The gay one was run by RSVP, not Holland America. This was hard for me. I am not big on crowds or bars.It was like being in a club for a week.Met nice people and the entertainment was good.Don't know if would do again. Maybe in a few years.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Forums mobile app

I was on the February. RSVP cruise.It was my first gay cruise. We have been on about 40 mainstream. I like the straight ones more.The gay one was run by RSVP, not Holland America. This was hard for me. I am not big on crowds or bars.It was like being in a club for a week.Met nice people and the entertainment was good.Don't know if would do again. Maybe in a few years.

Sent from my LG-K120 using Forums mobile app

I can understand that a gay cruise is not for everyone. We had two friends that joined us on that same cruise: they had been on many regular cruises but heard us talk about our gay cruises and wanted to try it. They are NOT the dance party types at all and I wondered whether they were having a good time. Apparently they did because they want to go again! They did their own thing, they enjoyed the entertainment and did a lot of regular cruise things or just relaxed.

As an alternative reply to the above, I was also on the February cruise for the first time and had one of the best weeks of my life. Far from being upset HAL didn't run it, I was thrilled...I would never go on HAL if not for a charter.

I have friends that have done Atlantis and all of them describe it the same way - 24 hour circuit party. RSVP is more my speed.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

We are going to try the RSVP Caribbean cruise in 2018.

We may still sail Atlantis in the future but think for our first all gay charter RSVP will suit us best. Atlantis is still getting our money anyway since they own RSVP. LOL

Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

We are going to try the RSVP Caribbean cruise in 2018.

We may still sail Atlantis in the future but think for our first all gay charter RSVP will suit us best. Atlantis is still getting our money anyway since they own RSVP. LOL

I think you made an excellent choice. I'm super anxious to go on Koningsdam, but I keep booking too many straight cruises. I hope you and your man have the best cruise ever.