Vikings Budapest excursions

knoxclone

I have never been on the Viking tours but I have been to Budapest recently so I looked up the tours. Frankly, if I were choosing between those 2 I would go with the Hungarian Horseman. The Grand Market is not far from the Danube (across the river from the Gellert Spa) and, I believe, close to where Viking docks. It is basically a large open air market (think Seattle's) that has an Aldi's and a few booths on the lower level, food vendors on the main level, and Hungarian goods like linens on the upper level. It is a great place to visit but I, personally, would not waste one of my tours on it as it is easy to do yourself. Plus, the other tour has palinka, which anyone going to Hungary should try!

Have a fabulous time on your cruise!

• 2 months later...

Our best day during our Romantic Danube trip was our post cruise visit to the market. I had arranged a cooking lesson that included a tour of the market (they also do a market only version) with lots of tastings including palinka including the guides homemade one during our lesson. The four of us thoroughly enjoyed our time at the market and while we could have done it on our own, I know we got much more out of it by having a guide.

We did take advantage of Viking's market tour with the chef in Vienna which was announced on board only. It was complimentary and also include lots of tastings of both food and wine. If you enjoy markets or food or wine, then I recommend it as a great way to experience Vienna after the half day walking tour.

In late August, I will be traveling with my parents and Fiancé on the Danube River Viking cruise. My parents have already done this cruise five years ago.

I'm looking for recommendations on tours and open for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have information what buildings you enter on the included Budapest tour other than Matthias Church? And if you go up to the high overlook Gellert Hill? I'll be visiting Budapest a few days independently, and don't want to be redundant.Thanks.

The included tour doesn't go in any buildings -- it is all bus and a walk around Mathias Church, Fishermen's Bastion (you do go to an upper level there) and Castle Hill. It does not go to Gellert Hill (unless it is a zip by on the bus). Edit to add: there is also free time on Castle Hill.

The bus goes by Hero Square, the Synagogue, one of the bath houses but does not stop at any of those places.

In late August, I will be traveling with my parents and Fiancé on the Danube River Viking cruise. My parents have already done this cruise five years ago.

I'm looking for recommendations on tours and open for recommendations.

In Budapest, if the weather is nice, arrange for a Tuk-Tuk tour. Look them up on tripadvisor. They are 3 wheeled motorcycle with a bench rear seat. Your driver can cut in and out of traffic, saving you time, and you get to see quite a bit of the city. We had a great guide.

You can't get 4 in a Tuk, so you'd have to arrange for 2 to accommodate both couples. So, some snuggle time for you.

The included tour doesn't go in any buildings -- it is all bus and a walk around Mathias Church, Fishermen's Bastion (you do go to an upper level there) and Castle Hill. It does not go to Gellert Hill (unless it is a zip by on the bus). Edit to add: there is also free time on Castle Hill.

The bus goes by Hero Square, the Synagogue, one of the bath houses but does not stop at any of those places.

Agree except we went inside Mathias Church with Viking.

I was in Budapest this past November and, in addition to our boat tour, we did a walking tour of the Jewish District (booked through Viator), a culinary walking tour and a countryside winery tour. All 3 were very good! Of course, our first stop was the famous Gellert Spa for a massage and the thermal baths!

I was in Budapest this past November and, in addition to our boat tour, we did a walking tour of the Jewish District (booked through Viator), a culinary walking tour and a countryside winery tour. All 3 were very good! Of course, our first stop was the famous Gellert Spa for a massage and the thermal baths!

We will be in Budapest in about a month (ending Viking cruise). We have hired a guide for a day after the cruise ends. Do you mind if I ask how long your massage was, and was it similar to what you might have received in the US?

Thanks for your reply. Richard Frank, Mobile, AL

Richard,

I found the massage at the Gellert to be very similar to the many I have had in the U.S. The one difference that I have noticed with European massages (had one on AmaDolce and in Prague on this trip, too) is that they don't touch the buttocks. Since I have glute and periformis issues I notice that.

Ann

Thanks very much. That's the part of a massage that does me the most good, and I enjoy the lease, of course. However, without that it really isn't worth paying for as far as I'm concerned (my wife might feel differently). I'm sure there is plenty else to do!

Richard

I did think it would drop us off at Hero's Square though. If it doesn't really stop anywhere we may just skip it and do entirely on our own. I've been to Budapest before and hired a guide for a few days so I am familiar with the city but some companions are not. Did Viking also offer an optional more detailed tour of Budapest, I read one poster did that.

• 1 month later...
I did think it would drop us off at Hero's Square though. If it doesn't really stop anywhere we may just skip it and do entirely on our own. I've been to Budapest before and hired a guide for a few days so I am familiar with the city but some companions are not. Did Viking also offer an optional more detailed tour of Budapest, I read one poster did that.

I think the Viking tour normally stops at Hero's Square, however, the police advised Viking not to stop because of a demonstration that was scheduled. I assumed the demonstration was shortly after we were there; but, no -- it was the next day, so not sure why we couldn't stop.

Our best day during our Romantic Danube trip was our post cruise visit to the market. I had arranged a cooking lesson that included a tour of the market (they also do a market only version) with lots of tastings including palinka including the guides homemade one during our lesson. The four of us thoroughly enjoyed our time at the market and while we could have done it on our own, I know we got much more out of it by having a guide.

We did take advantage of Viking's market tour with the chef in Vienna which was announced on board only. It was complimentary and also include lots of tastings of both food and wine. If you enjoy markets or food or wine, then I recommend it as a great way to experience Vienna after the half day walking tour.

This sounds so interesting. We have a couple of extra days in Budapest before our cruise and would love a cooking class and guide through the market. Can you share how you found this cooking tour and guide?

Catherine