Solo travel is the best, try it!!

Chicken_Lips

I'm now a 40 y/o guy (yes, the years are flying by) and I've noticed that I don't meet new people when I travel with others. And I think that sucks! I love meeting new people from around the world. But when I travel with a party, I tend to focus all my attention on them and we usually only converse with each other.

It's bound to happen but usually on every solo trip I encounter a jerk that tells me that its so sad that I'm travelling alone. "Aren't you bored and alone?", and "You don't have anybody to share those travel experiences with!" I've been looked at with pity and heard them all. But in fact, its the opposite for me. I love to travel solo and hate travelling with others. I get to be on my schedule and do the things I want to do. No compromising with others!

I just got back from a cruise a couple of months ago with a very good friend. We had fun, but my preferences had to take a back seat to theirs a couple of times and I only met a few people this time instead of the many I usually meet when solo.

I see there's a few people out there still reluctant to go solo. Just remember, I've yet to meet anybody on their death bed who wished they stayed home and watched more television. Get out there and travel solo, and quit worrying about what everyone thinks!

It's bound to happen but usually on every solo trip I encounter a jerk that tells me that its so sad that I'm travelling alone. "Aren't you bored and alone?", and "You don't have anybody to share those travel experiences with!" I've been looked at with pity and heard them all. But in fact, its the opposite for me. I love to travel solo and hate travelling with others. I get to be on my schedule and do the things I want to do. No compromising with others!

Amen! Solo is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the folks who look at you as though you're nuts for being "alone," the best response is to say "I'm not alone, I've got 3000 (or 4000 or 5000) people with me!" I've found it tends to get the message across PDQ!

Thanks for this thread. I traveled solo many times prior to meeting my late husband and had a great time. I'm a bit hesitant to cruise solo since my TA has offered me cruises that seem even more than double what we'd pay as a couple.

Perhaps I need to go back to doing my own research. I'm happy to hear/read that you all seem satisfied with cruising solo since I love cruising in any form.

I guess I'm looking for any advice you might have for someone my age (almost 70 but not sure I beleive my birth certificate :p ) and which ship I'd be most comfortable cruising on... I am Platinum on NCL and Black on MSC...

Any thoughts?

All-ready2Cruise......in a word "Crystal"! (As in Crystal Cruise Line) Their solo supplement is lower than most mainstream lines making a solo veranda cabin on HAL for me alone to be close in total cost to the same type veranda on Crystal. This is because HAL charges 200% and Crystal charges 145%, but the gratuities, all alcohol and specialty beverages and specialty restaurants are included. I travel on HAL when friends want to go on them and do enjoy it, but the bottom line cost is about the same for me.....and the service and food on Crystal is a step (or two) above HAL!!! At least check it out for comparable itineraries. Crystal is very solo friendly and I have met many wonderful and interesting people on board.

Thank you Oakridger, I am interested in any and all suggestions since this is new to me. I've been offered a few different cruises at varying rates but the Itineraries are abysmal so will definitely check out Crystal.

Thanks again, happy cruising.

Thanks for your post. I am traveling solo for the first time and am a little anxious. I am recently widowed and need to spend some time by myself to figure out who I am as well as to relax after my husband's illness and subsequent passing.

I fully expect to enjoy myself, but am more concerned about not wanting to eat at a table for 1! I have booked excursions and look forward to 'me' time.

Debbi

Thanks for your post. I am traveling solo for the first time and am a little anxious. I am recently widowed and need to spend some time by myself to figure out who I am as well as to relax after my husband's illness and subsequent passing.

I fully expect to enjoy myself, but am more concerned about not wanting to eat at a table for 1! I have booked excursions and look forward to 'me' time.

Debbi

Hi Debbi, my condolences to you.........

I hope you have a marvelous time:).....I have never sailed on Princess but I would suggest seeing if there is a

roll call for your cruise......it is a nice way to meet other folks (if you are so inclined).

Hi Debbi, my condolences to you.........

I hope you have a marvelous time:).....I have never sailed on Princess but I would suggest seeing if there is a

roll call for your cruise......it is a nice way to meet other folks (if you are so inclined).

I am booked with a hosted singles group for the Princess cruise. My first solo is on Carnival in two weeks. I am already on both roll calls.

Debbi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen! Solo is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the folks who look at you as though you're nuts for being "alone," the best response is to say "I'm not alone, I've got 3000 (or 4000 or 5000) people with me!" I've found it tends to get the message across PDQ!

I love this response!

The older I get 40's club too the more I like being by myself and so absolutely love solo traveling. So much so that I'm telling people who want to travel with me that I'm going solo and basically you're not invited. Going on a 14 day TA cruise solo and I'm so looking forward to it.

Love this thread! I've been going on vacation alone for a few years, but keep returning to the same resort because I'm comfortable and feel at home there. I've been needing to step out of my comfort zone for a while and many people have recommended cruising to me... Finally plucked up the courage to book a couple of weeks ago and set sail on my first cruise 7 weeks today... I'm extremely excited and know in my gut that I've made a good choice. Already thinking when & where my 2nd might be!

Love this thread! I've been going on vacation alone for a few years, but keep returning to the same resort because I'm comfortable and feel at home there. I've been needing to step out of my comfort zone for a while and many people have recommended cruising to me... Finally plucked up the courage to book a couple of weeks ago and set sail on my first cruise 7 weeks today... I'm extremely excited and know in my gut that I've made a good choice. Already thinking when & where my 2nd might be! ��

Congrats and I hope you LOVE it:D...what cruiseline/itinerary did you book?

Congrats and I hope you LOVE it:D...what cruiseline/itinerary did you book?

Thank you :)

NCL Epic, Western Mediterranean in a Solo Studio (I'm from the UK so staying close to home for my first cruise)

Thank you :)

NCL Epic, Western Mediterranean in a Solo Studio (I'm from the UK so staying close to home for my first cruise)

Epic was my first solo cruise. I stayed in a studio. Had a blast even though I was under the weather.

Thanks for this thread. I traveled solo many times prior to meeting my late husband and had a great time. I'm a bit hesitant to cruise solo since my TA has offered me cruises that seem even more than double what we'd pay as a couple.

Perhaps I need to go back to doing my own research. I'm happy to hear/read that you all seem satisfied with cruising solo since I love cruising in any form.

I guess I'm looking for any advice you might have for someone my age (almost 70 but not sure I beleive my birth certificate :p ) and which ship I'd be most comfortable cruising on... I am Platinum on NCL and Black on MSC...

Any thoughts?

Hi Connie - My husband passed away in March after a long illness. We cruised a lot early in our marriage, and I missed it so much in recent years. So the first thing I did was book two solo cruises... Alaska in August, and So Caribbean next March, on Celebrity. True, you don't get much of a break on prices, but the cabin pricing is based on 2 people in a cabin. I am your age, and I say go for it!

Debbi

Hi Debbi, I am in the same position as you are, and I can think of nothing better and more relaxing that some sea days on a cruise to get back into the swing of life. So sorry about your loss - I was a caregiver for several years as well - but we are not alone, and congratulations on your upcoming cruise! Hope you have a wonderful time! - Nancy

Hi Connie - My husband passed away in March after a long illness. We cruised a lot early in our marriage, and I missed it so much in recent years. So the first thing I did was book two solo cruises... Alaska in August, and So Caribbean next March, on Celebrity. True, you don't get much of a break on prices, but the cabin pricing is based on 2 people in a cabin. I am your age, and I say go for it!

Thank you Nancy, and I agree that cruising is a great way to relax. Very sorry for you loss Nancy.

I've looked at a few cruises and once I have all my ducks in a row, I'll book one or two. One is a So. Caribbean on X as well, but Feb. not March. Eric & I enjoyed cruising very much and he passed away just a couple of weeks prior to his BD cruise in April.

I guess I have to look at the price that way (double occupancy) as far as the cost goes. It's a matter of deciding if I want to pay double or triple occupancy, or more. I know I can cruise on NCL for 0% single supplement or a very low % supplement so I'll probably look there first.

Hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises.

Hi Debbi, I am in the same position as you are, and I can think of nothing better and more relaxing that some sea days on a cruise to get back into the swing of life. So sorry about your loss - I was a caregiver for several years as well - but we are not alone, and congratulations on your upcoming cruise! Hope you have a wonderful time! - Nancy

Thank you Nancy.

I just received notification that I cleared the waitlist and am now confirmed early traditional dining.

I am excited about the. Ruined and looking forward to well needed relaxation.

Debbi

Great post!!! I totally agree. I cruise every year with my sister and a friend but also have done 2 cruises on my own. I can't say I don't enjoy the cruises with my group, but I have so much fun on my own and plan to continue doing a solo trip every year.

As the OP says it's great being able to do your own thing, meeting new people and the feeling of independence can't be beaten. :D.

I love this thread!!!!

I have found friends

Husband and I cruised for years and years and years

lost him to MD and my mother to a stroke took care of both at home this past December

booked a NE cruise on RCI in a jr suite too!!!!

I am going to sit and sip a scotch on my balcony and toast my husband and our wonderful life together and toast my mother for making me a strong woman and give thanks I got the guts to book and go alone i have told no one im going really want to travel alone since december i realized i liked my own company and memories

actually booked a 2018 too

loved to do my own booking for all found after not cruisng for ten years just as easy to do my

own booking

love you guys

and thanks

Hi Loved to cruise and very sorry for your losses. It must be difficult having lost both in such a short time.

I'm glad you've found this thread refreshing too. Being recently widowed I was concerned that I'd be at a loss but not now. I've booked a cruise too, a B2B around Australia and NZ just like DH and I had planned, although not the 3 month road trip. I'm busy researching some of the ports and hopefully will find some interesting things to do.

As far as toasting goes, I'll be toasting my DH too for the wonderful time we had together. So, cheers!

Enjoy your cruises,

I'm now a 40 y/o guy (yes, the years are flying by) and I've noticed that I don't meet new people when I travel with others. And I think that sucks! I love meeting new people from around the world. But when I travel with a party, I tend to focus all my attention on them and we usually only converse with each other.

I just got back from a cruise a couple of months ago with a very good friend. We had fun, but my preferences had to take a back seat to theirs a couple of times and I only met a few people this time instead of the many I usually meet when solo.

I see there's a few people out there still reluctant to go solo. Just remember, I've yet to meet anybody on their death bed who wished they stayed home and watched more television. Get out there and travel solo, and quit worrying about what everyone thinks!

Thank you for this encouragement. I'm just recently divorced (well a year out) and I still want to cruise to so many places. I'll be cruising with my boys and mother next year. I'll be scouring these boards to find the best way to find a deal for a solo cruiser (I'm spoiled, I have to have a balcony at least!) and all other things related to solo cruising.

I'm also glad I found this post as, unfortunately like so many other posters, I recently lost my husband after a brief battle with cancer. We had planned a cruise for last October to celebrate our 30th anniversary but had to cancel due to his illness. I've decided the best way to celebrate our anniversary this year is to take the cruise we had planned to take last year. A previous poster said I "need to spend some time by myself to figure out who I am"; that really hit home. I'm thankful I had as long as I had with him and will also be toasting our life together. It encourages me that so many people enjoy solo cruising.

I'm also glad I found this post as, unfortunately like so many other posters, I recently lost my husband after a brief battle with cancer. We had planned a cruise for last October to celebrate our 30th anniversary but had to cancel due to his illness. I've decided the best way to celebrate our anniversary this year is to take the cruise we had planned to take last year. A previous poster said I "need to spend some time by myself to figure out who I am"; that really hit home. I'm thankful I had as long as I had with him and will also be toasting our life together. It encourages me that so many people enjoy solo cruising.

So sorry for your loss GH6 and understand totally about continuing your planned cruise. We can honour our beloved by doing what they'd want us to but also by living our lives as they'd expect us to. My DH knew me as fun and loving and living and making the best of our life. We don't want that to change, and they wouldn't want their passing to change us.... LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH... in their honour we will love and live on.