Triple and quad balcony cabins on the Grand

elycelynne

In perusing the deck plans I noticed that the majority of these cabins are located at or near mid-ship. I assume that the fold-down bunks are located on the wall that's on the other side of the closet. How obtrusive are they if they're not folded down? Would I be better off booking a cabin that didn't have them, or does it not make a difference?

In perusing the deck plans I noticed that the majority of these cabins are located at or near mid-ship. I assume that the fold-down bunks are located on the wall that's on the other side of the closet. How obtrusive are they if they're not folded down? Would I be better off booking a cabin that didn't have them, or does it not make a difference?

From my understanding.........

In the balcony cabins they are usually recessed into the ceiling.

(yes they will be adjacent to the closet).

In some of those could also use a rollaway as a berth.

There should also be a notation in a quad cabin that the lower beds cannot be placed in a queen configuration due to safety issues. (stewart will usually put them together if you want)

Keith is correct; usually they are in the ceiling. I would add the major exception of the midship cabins adjacent to the center elevator lobby-3 cabins each side, such as B429, B431,B433.

Small notation on the room description says 'No nightstands' which is your only clue that these truly awful rooms do not convert to a queen bed and are laid out much differently than all the other balcony cabins. They have a shotgun aisle from the door all the way to the balcony with the beds on either side of this aisle. No nightstands, just a cubby cut out of the bulkhead behind your head. I think these rooms might be OK for four kids who want a bunkbed-at-camp experience, but I would not book these for myself under any circumstances.

There were pictures posted here several years ago...if I can find them, I will repost with a link.

ETA- Here is that post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20053991&postcount=8

Edited by cherylandtk

Most balcony cat. cabins either have 2 upper berths that lower from the ceiling or 1 bunk that lowers from the ceiling and a roll away.

Mini suites have a pull out sofa with a upper berth above it.

Most inside cabins have an upper berths that fold down from the walls.

The few outside view cabins that can handle 4 I think also have bunks that fold down from the wall, but not sure.

Only sailed in a triple cabin once. Balcony cabin and the third bed was recessed into the ceiling. We didn't use that bed and it was merely an outline on the ceiling. Personally I can't imagine sailing with 3 in a cabin and 4 sounds like a nightmare. Of course my kids are long grown. If I had small kids I could probably handle it but when my kids were young there was no way I could cruise.

I will never book a cabin with the extra beds on the wall. Nope, nope, nope. Not for me.

I'm just off the Grand Princess. The inside cabins have the wall-mounted fold down bunks, also know as the "head-bangers" There are also the dreaded "shot-gun" style balcony quad cabins on the Caribe Deck. Unless you want four bunks, avoid those like the plague.

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread again. So if I couldn't find a balcony cabin that sleeps only two in a location that I liked, I would be okay booking a regular triple or quad balcony cabin as long as it wasn't the dreaded shotgun layout? Just making sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Just found this thread again. So if I couldn't find a balcony cabin that sleeps only two in a location that I liked, I would be okay booking a regular triple or quad balcony cabin as long as it wasn't the dreaded shotgun layout? Just making sure I'm understanding this correctly.

The Grand is very confusing. Some of the quad cabins are "shot-gun" style. Your clue will be "no nightstands". Other quad cabin have wall-mounted bunks. Those are known as the "head-bangers". Finally you have the triple cabins that use a "roll-away" bed. Those cabins are great for two people because there are no bunk-beds in the cabin.

The Grand is very confusing. Some of the quad cabins are "shot-gun" style. Your clue will be "no nightstands". Other quad cabin have wall-mounted bunks. Those are known as the "head-bangers". Finally you have the triple cabins that use a "roll-away" bed. Those cabins are great for two people because there are no bunk-beds in the cabin.

Does that count for balcony cabins too?

Did not think they had beds protruding from the walls. :confused:

Thought the bed protrusion was a reference was for insides/outsides.

Does that count for balcony cabins too?

Did not think they had beds protruding from the walls. :confused:

Thought the bed protrusion was a reference was for insides/outsides.

Lol, I had to pull out my cruise atlas and look at the deck plans. The majority of the balcony cabins won't accomodate four people, except for the shot-gun cabins. There are a lot that will accommodate three persons, but I believe the majority of those use the roll-away beds for the third person. There are some aft quad cabins on Emerald and Dolphin Decks. I'm not sure what type of beds those have.

Now I'm a little more confused. If I booked a cabin that could sleep three and the third bed wasn't recessed into the ceiling, where is the rollaway stored? Would it take up usable cabin space?

Rollaway is folded up and put behind the curtain against the stationary side of the balcony door.

Rollaway is folded up and put behind the curtain against the stationary side of the balcony door.

Thanks. So if I didn't need it, could they store it somewhere else for the time that I was staying in the cabin? And are there cases where the rollaway bed is the only extra bed in a cabin that only sleeps three, or are they just used as a fourth bed when the third bed is recessed in the ceiling?

Now I'm a little more confused. If I booked a cabin that could sleep three and the third bed wasn't recessed into the ceiling, where is the rollaway stored? Would it take up usable cabin space?

LOL, I'm confused. Is the ship sold out of two-person cabins? When you click on the cabin, it will tell you how many people it sleeps and if it has the roll-away bed. I believe they will only place the third bed in the cabin if you need it, otherwise it's stored elsewhere.

LOL, I'm confused. Is the ship sold out of two-person cabins? When you click on the cabin, it will tell you how many people it sleeps and if it has the roll-away bed. I believe they will only place the third bed in the cabin if you need it, otherwise it's stored elsewhere.

No, it's just that the two-person balcony cabins on the Baja deck aren't as conveniently located as the triples. But thanks for confirming that I won't have to deal with a rollaway just standing there and taking up space if I do book a cabin that can sleep three.

No, it's just that the two-person balcony cabins on the Baja deck aren't as conveniently located as the triples. But thanks for confirming that I won't have to deal with a rollaway just standing there and taking up space if I do book a cabin that can sleep three.

If there are only 2 in the room then there will not be a rollaway in there.

Yes it's kept somewhere else onboard.