Tourist killed by jet blast at a Caribbean beach by airport

Orangefan

Oh no! I so enjoyed our day at Maho Beach....I only took about 250 photos of the aircraft coming in and taking off. But I ensured I was nowhere near the fence.

I'm afraid this might mean the end of the beach access. They've already moved the web camera.

Sympathies to the family.

Oh no! I so enjoyed our day at Maho Beach....I only took about 250 photos of the aircraft coming in and taking off. But I ensured I was nowhere near the fence.

I'm afraid this might mean the end of the beach access. They've already moved the web camera.

Sympathies to the family.

At least hanging on to the fence. ;)

Been there a number of times but always sit in the bar.

However I have seen

a) two teenagers hanging on to the fence and deliberately throwing their legs in the air behind them in order to see who could stay up in a sort of 'skydiving' pose for the longest time

b) one woman lose her grip whilst holding onto to fence and then being blown across the road into the concrete beach wall but apparently only suffer grazed knees.

In each case they knew exactly what they were doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just saw video on CNN.

BUT.... unless that jet said "Princess Cruises" on its tail, why are we discussing it here??

Slow day? I mean can't we discuss Formal Night Dress Code or Beverage Policy again?? :eek:

I have been to that beach several times and observed the action on the runway from the bar holding a cold one in my hand. I have been around large aircraft and know enough to stay out of the way. Sympathy to the family of the lady.

My sympathies to her family.

However, as previously stated, there are signs warning of the danger. I don't believe she was the first fatality there.

Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to hang onto that fence. Thrills, I guess. We enjoyed the experience from the beach - both the blast from jets taking off and watching for incoming planes. Sometimes it felt as if you could reach up and touch them as they landed. Awesome experience!

Because they HAVE seen the video is probably WHY they're hanging on to the fence.

"Hey that looks like fun, let's do that when we get there". Sad.

I'm sorry but it's not sad except maybe for her family

She was just plain stupid.

It's something a teenage kid would do to show off for his friends, not a grown adult.

Having lived directly under an approach runway for a major airport for about a year I see no thrill at all being around aircraft taking off and landing. If you do this sort of thing you are taking extreme actions just for a thrill and as can be seen it can kill. Anyone who does this is lacking something somewhere in their makeup. Next thing to happen will be a law suit of some sort against someone.

i just saw video on cnn.

But.... Unless that jet said "princess cruises" on its tail, why are we discussing it here??

Slow day? I mean can't we discuss formal night dress code or beverage policy again?? :eek:

snore!!

I just saw video on CNN.

BUT.... unless that jet said "Princess Cruises" on its tail, why are we discussing it here??

Often on the Princess board when someone asks for a suggestion of what to do when in St. Maarten the answer is to watch the planes land and takeoff here.

Slow day? I mean can't we discuss Formal Night Dress Code or Beverage Policy again?? :eek:

If it is a formal evening on the ship, then wearing formal clothes is appropriate .that afternoon to watch the planes from the beach. But be aware that the AIBP is not accepted at the bar there.

see above in red

• 2 weeks later...