Best time to board ship?

JennaS90

Looking for opinions!

What do you think the best time to board the ship is?

We would like to take advantage of being in Rome in the morning but also don't want to board too late.

We have settled so far on a taxi taking us to the Port at 12pm, so should get there about 1pm/1.15pm ish.

Thoughts?

There are many thoughts. I like showing up about 1pm for cabins are available normally about 1:30. If your cabin or suite has a lunch in the MDR or Luminae​ then we like closer to noon.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Thanks

We have GTY veranda so no MDR or Luminae unfortunately - perhaps we have got our timings right with this all in mind.

We like Sushi on 5 and notice it's open until 2pm :)

Thanks

We have GTY veranda so no MDR or Luminae unfortunately - perhaps we have got our timings right with this all in mind.

We like Sushi on 5 and notice it's open until 2pm :)

Your timing seems good to me (assuming a 4:00 Sailaway). We had a similar timing arrangement, although we booked a driver through Bob's Limos (they don't really come in a limo, unless you ask for, but very nice high end, well kept sedans ;)). I don't know how it compares to a taxi price, but it was a lovely way to go and we made our reservations online. We also used them when disembarking. Happy cruising!

I used to arrive early (10:30am), but I'm now shifting to 1-2pm. My thinking is I'd rather have a relaxed lunch ashore rather than deal with the crowded buffet, and I'd prefer my cabin be ready when I board.

Boarding typically starts at 11am and we arrived at 10:20am. We figured it would be packed that early but it wasn't. We walked right in and were able to register. When we got to the "holding area" before boarding we no longer than sat down and they announced the ship was ready and they were going to start boarding early. We went straight to the outside bar at the back of the ship at the top and were the first customers. We got our drinks, found some shade and watched others board. We had drinks in hand at 10:40am. Absolutely perfect!!

We're sailing this weekend and have had several near identical messages from celebrity telling us we must arrive in a set hour depending on deck number. It suggests we may not be allowed to board if we arrive earlier than the designated time. We're deck 7 and the arrival time is 2pm.

We're sailing this weekend and have had several near identical messages from celebrity telling us we must arrive in a set hour depending on deck number. It suggests we may not be allowed to board if we arrive earlier than the designated time. We're deck 7 and the arrival time is 2pm.

When you have a chance after your cruise, I would be interested to know if Celebrity adheres to this when you get there. Cheers!

They have started setting "check-in times" in an effort to reduce and spread out the crowding at registration. Have become convinced that the 1-2PM time is least crowded as most flock to the 11AM checkin which generally means an hour or more from curbside to ship, not counting the wait until cabins are ready. Boarded once at 2:30 for a 4PM sailing...and there was no one in line. Empty. Once at noon had to wait in line over an hour as everyone with the highest tiers and suite guests were all shuffled into the same line. Unsat.

Where are you sailing from? Please don't say Southampton and they are starting to do the same as P&O :')

So, what do you do in Southampton if you have had an overnight hotel that wants you out by noon?

We had just this problem in May, but we were on a Princess ship.

We left the hotel and arrived at the pier at 12.15pm. At no time were we asked which deck we were on, or asked to wait, except for the Security line.

We boarded and were in the cabin by 1.15pm and my case had arrived. I was impressed.

I am assuming that we would be allowed to board Celebrity, as one of the perks for Elite passengers is priority boarding.

When you have a chance after your cruise, I would be interested to know if Celebrity adheres to this when you get there. Cheers!

At embarkation ports like Civitavecchia or Southampton, we always have our transportation to port plans set months in advance, often with others who may have completely different designated times. It's one thing when we're sailing from Port Everglades and can stay in a hotel that's a 10 minute ride from the ship but when we've got to consider 90 minutes or more driving time with potential traffic delays, we plan to arrive around noon. If someone says that we have to wait, okay, we'll wait but that has yet to happen.

I have sailed from there three times and have always gotten there between 10:00 and 10:30...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bookbug - yes, Southampton

Here's the full message FYI. Upward is right, suite and higher 'status' guests can arrive at any time.

We're driving about 2.5 hours from home so it isn't a big problem to us. I can see would be more if a problem if you were staying in a hotel, which I would imagine a pretty large proportion of guests are. We will aim to arrive about an hour earlier than our designated time because don't want to risk cutting it fine and getting caught up in traffic (M25, groan) and are allocated one of the later times. Hopefully they won't send people away, hope they're just trying, where possible, to spread out the check in. We cruised with X at Easter and transfers were included so the whole coachloads arrived at the port at the same time, I'd have been a bit cross if they made me arrive at that time (& lose out on sightseeing time), then tell me I was too early!

In order to facilitate the check-in process in Southampton, we kindly ask you to check in online at www.celebritycruises.com/onlinecheckin if you have not done so already. Since we have very limited seating available in the terminal, any guests arriving before their assigned time may be asked to return at their assigned check-in time or may experience a lengthy delay checking in. The check-in windows are as shown below:

Deck 11 & 12: 10:30AM

Deck 10: 11:15AM

Deck 9: 12:00PM

Deck 8: 1:00PM

Deck 7: 2:00PM

Deck 3 & 6: 3:00PM

Suite Guests, as well as Captain’s Club Zenith, Elite Plus, and Elite members can check-in anytime at their convenience between the hours of 10:30am and 3:30pm. We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your understanding.