Only cruised P&O

Hi

We have only cruised P&O as we love the ships, they are relaxing and peaceful especially when doing the Fjords. We are considering doing the Fjords again next year again with P&O but also considering Royal Caribbean as their itinerary is better suited for us at the moment.

My question is will it be as peaceful and relaxing on R.C. as it would be on P&O? Their ships look more razzmatazz than what we are used to so that's the reason for my question. We can only afford one cruise a year so would we be best to stick with what we know and love or take a chance? We are both active pensioners but like to be relaxed.

We have done Independence and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it most compares to Ventura size wise. Most things are the same like dining, bars, quizzes, cabins etc., The price of drinks on RCI are far more expensive around £30 for an average bottle of wine and £12 cocktails. The entertainment team, we thought are far better and do a lot more, they give a live round up of each days activities piped through to your cabin. They do a Mr & Mrs type show which was very funny and a game called Quest which again got the passengers involved. They also have mini-golf which is a nice way to spend up on the top deck. There are 2 ice shows which were spectacular. The shows were a bit more varied and there were more things to do in the day.

The other difference was obviously the passenger mix, although most were British because the ship left from Southampton, there must have been every nationality going. We enjoyed this and must say the Americans and Canadians mixed very well.

We would not hesitate in going with Royal Caribbean if the cruise suited, but as we have only cruised once on Independence, this is based purely on this cruise.

We have done Independence and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it most compares to Ventura size wise. Most things are the same like dining, bars, quizzes, cabins etc., The price of drinks on RCI are far more expensive around £30 for an average bottle of wine and £12 cocktails. The entertainment team, we thought are far better and do a lot more, they give a live round up of each days activities piped through to your cabin. They do a Mr & Mrs type show which was very funny and a game called Quest which again got the passengers involved. They also have mini-golf which is a nice way to spend up on the top deck. There are 2 ice shows which were spectacular. The shows were a bit more varied and there were more things to do in the day.

The other difference was obviously the passenger mix, although most were British because the ship left from Southampton, there must have been every nationality going. We enjoyed this and must say the Americans and Canadians mixed very well.

We would not hesitate in going with Royal Caribbean if the cruise suited, but as we have only cruised once on Independence, this is based purely on this cruise.

Thanks Mandy

Interesting reply especially about the ice shows as we both enjoy that sort of thing.

RCI ships definitely have more of a buzz about them, there are quiet areas you can find but not quite the same as on P&O if you like peace and quiet.

We enjoy sailing RCI for the parades, entertainment, ice shows etc etc but go back to our balcony for a little peace now and then. Most of the bars are on the Royal Promenade which is the heart of the ships so lots of people and things going on. Same on the open decks, lots of activities and bands playing etc.

If you like the P&O vibe then one thing you may not like is the dining experience. It tends to be much less relaxed particulalrly if there are lots of people from the US onboard as they don't tend to linger and chat over a meal to the same extent.

As I say I really enjoy the odd cruise on RCI but the direct answer to your question is no it will not be as peaceful or relaxing. Have you looked to see what Celebrity cruises are doing, they might be more to your taste.

We have done the IOS for a short break in half term October. We enjoyed it but I really would not call it relaxed and we certainly would not do RCI for our main holiday / cruise.

If you want a similar experience on lovely ships I would agree that you should check our Celebrity. Not sure what the Eclipse is doing and I know that the Silhouette is around too. :-)

I have not tried RCI (yet) but would you be having a balcony? I would think that would make all the difference. I must say I like the idea of the ice shows, but if everything else got too much you could just relax on your balcony!

I too have been on the Independence....thoroughly enjoyed it but definitely not in the "relaxed" bracket. We found that Royal Promenade on the ship could be quite "manic" at times. I don't think you go on the IOTS for a relaxing time. As mentioned before I would take a look at Celebrity or Princess

I think the two cruise lines are poles apart. If you need to stray from P&O try Princess they have good shorter notice prices than booking way ahead. They also do good further afield cruises. I tried RCI a while back and regretted it. Unfortunately my daughter has badgered me into Navigator of the Seas, due to rock climbing and activities and I am currently apprehensive.

Regards John

Now looking at Celebrity but it's a minefield isn't it. It's a nice problem to have though :)

Thanks everyone for your replies and yes Sue it would be a balcony so there would be somewhere to escape to when needed.

Just at the moment we are thinking of staying with what we know and that's P&O. Since this morning a third person will be joining us who doesn't care about paying the premium for a single person, doesn't care where they go or when! It's becoming a juggling act :')

Royal = Good food, good service, good buffets, pricey drinks, lots of entertainment and unique activities (parades, ice shows, rock climbing, golf) nice mix of international guests. Celebrity = Relaxed vibe, lovely ships, big cabins, great food, excellent buffets, great service, pricey drinks, nice mix of international guests. P&O = average cabins, average service, good food, poor buffets, great entertainment, no unique onboard experiences, overwhelmingly Brits onboard, could be lots of kids in school holidays or a more traditional British mix in term time. If I had a choice of three cruise lines on the same itinerary: 1) Celebrity 2) Royal Caribbean 3) P&O. These are my views based on experience. Others will differ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Trevor

Was it because of the decor, fellow passengers or just too much going on? This is what we are slightly concerned about.

Just too busy for him really. Not relaxing, too many kids. It definitely sounded as though it would be great for young families, but not for a couple of a certain age. He has cruised with me on Norwegian Spirit, and done a few cruises on a couple of Fred Olsen ships, and loved them all.

Just too busy for him really. Not relaxing, too many kids. It definitely sounded as though it would be great for young families, but not for a couple of a certain age. He has cruised with me on Norwegian Spirit, and done a few cruises on a couple of Fred Olsen ships, and loved them all.

Thanks Trevor that's very helpful

The beauty about RCI is that you have options. You can do all the bells and whistles at 100 miles an hour or take it easy and laid back and do nothing if you want to like with P&O. Everyone is different but personally I'd try as many lines as I cook update afford because you'll just never know what they are like. I've been on about 4 or 5 different lines and they are all different but it's the experience you will get from them. Independence is a big ship, bigger than any P&O ship so exploring is a experience in its own, plus if you want there's a lot more to on board, way, way more than P&O.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That's what I disliked about Azura. Yes there was more to do for some folk, but we found it loud, very noisy music and sea screen and nowhere nice and quiet to relax. So if Ventura and Azura are like RCI, then I would stick with P&O. I have only sailed Fred and P&O, but just don't like the big ships.

Just come back from 7 nights on Azura, our 7th cruise with all previous 6 cruises on RCI. We enjoyed Azura and would cruise with P&O again but we think RCI ships have a bit more of a wow factor and Azura (and therefore Ventura) has a bit of a weird layout with its deck 7 starboard side Promenade and fairly poor central Atrium (in comparison with RCI ships). Food and service are about the same in our experience but we did think there were more miserable staff on Azura than any other ship we've been on. Didn't spoil it for us, we are always determined to enjoy our holidays. Would love to try Brittania now. Hope you enjoy your next P&O cruise strawberry field.