Upgrade on Arcadia?

sparklemoon

I have a deluxe balcony cabin on C deck on a world cruise and was put on the upgrade list (not that I expect one as a solo traveller). However,someone said that this would not be a good idea, which puzzled me. Wouldn't any upgrade be an improvement?

Don't know the ship, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

You could get an upgrade to one of the cabins on A deck that is under the Belvedere restaurant. If you are a light sleeper, you could find yourself being woken up by staff setting it up early in the morning. On one of my first cruises I was upgraded to one in a similar position on Queen Victoria (very similar layout) and I was woken up every morning around 5am. I now select the cabin I want and have the booking marked as no upgrade. Unfortunately, cruise lines ideas of an upgrade are different to those of their customers. By the way, you do get upgrades as a solo, even on the world cruise but those can be rare.

'Upgrades' are sometimes not what you and I would call an upgrade.

If you book a balcony cabin at the aft end or at the front, an upgrade may simply be to a balcony cabin in the centre of the ship.

I usually opt out to be honest.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

I'd call a mid-ship move a bit of an upgrade. Sure, its not a big leap, but it's certainly better than nowt (if it was on offer).

That's very true, but people think they will go from a balcony cabin to, say, a Deluxe Balcony, or, on some ships, a Mini-Suite. Unfortunately there are now so many 'levels' within a Category of cabin that you would have to have booked the top 'level' to go up a Category.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

My wife and I always pick a cabin towards the stern of the ship..... we like to feel the motion especially when the weather is interesting, we know we're at sea :) An upgrade would probably mean a midships cabin which move less.... so we always tick "no upgrades." as midships cabins are considered an upgrade from those towards the bow or stern.

Edited to add: Deck 8 (Australia Deck) on Arcadia can be noisy in the morning esp. towards the stern as the Lido buffet is open, and the crew will be putting out loungers on the aft deck for sunseakers on deck 9.Expected noises don't wake me so I don't have a problem, but light sleepers will rightly complain that from about 6am (so I'm told) it can be noisy in a cabin on deck 8 aft.

And cabins on higher decks are considered an upgrade from those lower down....

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

We have had one of the aft mini suites on Oceana several times now. We love the layout of the cabin, the extremely large balcony and the view of the wake. We always say no upgrade because the odds are that if we received an upgrade it would be to a mid ship mini suite which is more expensive, I assume because it is mid ships. The midship mini suites are completely different from the aft ones. They are basically two balcony cabins joined together so the balcony is long and narrow. We also feel there is much more room in the aft mini suite - the only think it lacks is a separate shower, it has one over the bath but we're willing to sacrifice that for the rest of the things that this cabin offers. So no upgrade thank you.