Question about formal nights & men's attire

sjde

When a cruise line has a formal night, would a corduroy sport coat be dressy enough with chinos/Dockers?

Depends on the cruise line. On Cunard, what you describe would only be appropriate on informal nights. I'd suggest you pose this question on the board for the specific line for guidance on their current practice. Some have relaxed their formal nights (or dumbed them down depending on your viewpoint) where they are called "elegant" or "chic" and are open to a lot of interpretation.

Understand that just about all the cruise lines have eliminated real formal nights. Even HAL, now has what they call "Gala" nights. Cunard still has formal nights and the expectation is that most passengers will generally comply....with men wearing at least a suit/tie. Princess still has"Formal" nights but enforcement is lax, do your outfit would probably get you in the MDR. So I would say with the exception of Cunard you would be fine. And even on Cunard, as long as your wore a tie they would probably let you in the MDR...although some may not want to associate with that kind of outfit :).

Hank

Congratulations on the weight loss! assuming it was intentional and not from ill health...

Most "mainstream" cruise lines also have alternatives to the dressy-or-sorta main dining room such as the buffet (informal) or upcharge restaurants (often "sharp casual" all the time and not observing the formal night designation). Again, my understanding is that Cunard does not have alternatives! and that the high-end lines you mention don't have formal nights (some may but I have read they are "sharp casual" all nights).

Is there anywhere on the ships that you can eat on formal night without getting dressed up.

Which cruise line? The answer generally is that most do, but Cunard are quite strict, and some, like P&O (UK) do not allow shorts on men anywhere after 6pm.

No jacket or tie is required on any night in any dining venue on RCI or Celebrity. Slacks and a shirt or nice polo is dressy enough for any night. It is a matter of personal choice and if desired you can dress more formally on the suggested formal nights if desired, but it is not at all necessary.

Thanks Crystalspin. I am going on Holland America.

The Lido buffet is open on Gala night and has a similar menu to the MDR. Keep in mind that Gala night is anything but formal and smart casual dress is the minimum accepted - no need for evening gowns, dresses, tuxes or suits anymore....

I think of corduroy as winter clothes. I wear corduroy slacks to go out in the snow, anywhere with temps in the even 50's is too warm for them. Where are you sailing to, what time of year?

I have seen shorts in the MDR on what used to be formal nights. A lot of men are now wearing Dockers with a polo shirt- what most wear every night. My husband used to take his tux, then a dark suit but now just wears colored pants (he has Xmas red & Xmas green, sky blue, bright yellow, khaki, etc.) with a colorful, button down shirt.

You can always check what men are wearing before the 1st dinner as they are dressed ahead of time. Once I counted tuxes and only counted 6- including the Maitre'd!

... Keep in mind that Gala night is anything but formal and smart casual dress is the minimum accepted - no need for evening gowns, dresses, tuxes or suits anymore....

Yes, times are changing. I can live with it, but it is driving some of the pro-formal folks wild!:D

Yes the weight loss was intentional. :)

We'd probably prefer to eat in the MDR than the buffet restaurant.

I agree with the person who said corduroy is for winter , though many ships are so darn cold with the a/c!

We are looking at the Baltic in Sept.

Yes, times are changing. I can live with it, but it is driving some of the pro-formal folks wild!:D

Very true! It's almost funny to read posts from the pro-formal folks and how very upset they get over the issue! :rolleyes:

Have to admit it was lovely to see everyone beautifully dressed on formal nights ... but those days are basically over on most cruise lines. We've changed with the times and it really hasn't bothered us. :)

Thanks Crystalspin. I am going on Holland America.

You'll be fine. If a collared shirt and non-jeans trousers is more than you like to pack, the Lido is always there and really, usually as good for foods, just more casual presentation. We took my mom to Alaska in 2009 (when gowns and tuxes were still not uncommon), and she was petrified of Formal night or even eating in the MDR at all. We bought her a pair of Moving Comfort permanently creased pants at REI (!) and she wore them every night in the Lido (buffet) with colorful tops she already owned. That outfit became her go-to dress-up through another couple cruises with #4 coming up! Even in the MDR!

Now, Alaskan cruises are known for being a big more casual than, say, European ones -- on last year's 7-day Alaska my family (three guys and five ladies) all worn Hawaiian shirts on Gala night, both in the Canaletto and MDR.

I wear only a long sleeve dress shirt on HAL. If you ask on the HAL board, they will try to shame you into staying in your cabin or only using the rear staircase.

Don't worry, you will now be with the majority not wearing a tux or suit on formal night. I've only witnessed someone in shorts being turned away on HAL.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Thank you, I don't really want to pack a jacket for my husband as we are going to California after the cruise and it will be too warm for a jacket so I don't want to take up room in the suitcase for 2 nights. That said I don't want to be restricted to the Buffet on gala nights. So if my husband can wear dress pants and nice buttoned shirt that works well for us.