Flight from FLL; is 9:00 too early?

kstrittm

All,

I will be on the Royal arriving in FLL January 29 at 0600. I am an Elite passenger staying in a suite. Do you think I'll be OK, time wise, with a 9:00 flight (first class)? I'll take a cab from the stand, which I think will be fastest... also, FYI, I have Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check.

As luck would have it, the port will be busy that morning -- 7 ships are in port that day.

I feel fairly good about it -- just need thoughts from others before I commit. The airlines changed my 11am flight (of course, no notification -- I happened to log on and see the change). When I called them, they could have cared less about failing to contact me or about the change! LOL...

Finally, do you think I should carry my luggage off or will I be OK having it delivered to the warehouse?

Thanks, everybody!

The 6:00 arrival time is merely the estimate of when the ship will be fast aside. The first passengers off will be those doing self-carry disembarkation at approx. 7:00-7:15. You have absolutely zero chance of making this flight if you put your luggage out to be claimed. And likely still less than 50% if you do self-carry even with your catalog of expeditiousness. You need to get back on the phone and have your airline change you to a later flight.

All,

I will be on the Royal arriving in FLL January 29 at 0600. I am an Elite passenger staying in a suite. Do you think I'll be OK, time wise, with a 9:00 flight (first class)? I'll take a cab from the stand, which I think will be fastest... also, FYI, I have Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check.

As luck would have it, the port will be busy that morning -- 7 ships are in port that day.

I feel fairly good about it -- just need thoughts from others before I commit. The airlines changed my 11am flight (of course, no notification -- I happened to log on and see the change). When I called them, they could have cared less about failing to contact me or about the change! LOL...

Finally, do you think I should carry my luggage off or will I be OK having it delivered to the warehouse?

Thanks, everybody!

I would be a little uneasy about booking a flight at 9am.

If you feel good about it, you'd definitively have to carry your own luggage in order to make it as soon as possible.

Good luck! BTW, just out of curiosity, which airline changed your flight and did not even notify you? just wondering because they did it to me last year... wondering if it's the same one:rolleyes:

The end of January is the start of tourist season. Even with TSA-Pre, there'll still be a wait to get through Security. I have GE and TSA-Pre and fly Business or First and would never consider a flight before 10:30-11am. I've cruised many times out of FLL so I know there can be delays disembarking and at the airport.

All,

Thanks, everybody!

Oct 22nd, we had a 0500 arrival time, first walk off folks at 615am, I asked for the last walk off which was at 0640. it was on time, we took our own luggage and was through customs by 0700, a short 10 minute wait in taxi line, at airport checking into delta, through short security line by around 0730am. From memory you need to check in 45 minutes before flight with bags. Our flight was for 0940, I spent just over 2 hours at the gate awaiting flight, we had tsa pre-ck regardless short security lines on a Saturday morning.:D .. Ask for and get first walk off and you should make it; even if ship doesnt start letting folks off until 7am. If you have them take your bag, you probably won't make it, as longer line for customs and longer wait until you can debark ship.

My thinking say first walk off is 715am you get through security by 745am to airport around 8-815am. That is really pushing it! However if first walk off is any earlier than you make it no problem... Any delays through customs or allowing folks to disembark then you won't. So good luck :) Btw I thought 0940 would be pushing it (but all aspects were on time and went smoothly), so have a backup plan if you do try it.

Edited by CruisewhenWecan

Just curious why you mention that you are in a suite and flying first class. The only advantage of being Elite is that you can pick your time to leave but if you had an early flight I'm sure they would give it to you anyway. They did me. As far as the suite, same thing. Early flight they'd give it to you anyway. First class? I'm guessing the first class seats leave at the same time as the coach seats on the plane, just airborne a few seconds sooner.

Basically you are just wondering if you could make a 9:00 am flight. TSA and precheck are the only important part of your question.

I certainly don't understand why you would want to spend the last night of your cruise worrying about this. I would get it changed.

I would worry about making that flight for the entire cruise .

There is a reason why the flight is so available , it is too early .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All,

Thanks, everybody!

To walk off early, you need to carry your luggage with you. Doing that probably would work but I would not risk it, I would call the airline back and tell them you are on a cruise, you need a later flight. Don't know what airline you are working with, but my experience is when they make a change, they are more likely to accomodate you if you are calling now... later on, i.e, flight are generally full... difficult to get seats if you miss a flight... flights are full these days.

We also will try to make that American Airlines 900a departure.

The Regal gets in on Drcember 18th.

Hopefully, we'll disembark early. The snafu for us will be the bag check. Just don't want to miss the cutoff.

I've made 930a flights with no problems and I know this 9a is pushing it.

Not a safe bet that you can make it. With that many ships in, the ICE agents are going to be spread pretty thin, which can slow down the disembarkation significantly.

Even with pre-check, there is no guarantee that you are going to be at the airport in time to catch the flight. I think they want bags checked 90 minutes before flight time, so you would need to be at baggage check by about 7:30.

All,

Thanks, everybody!

If you don't carry your luggage you have NO chance and even if you do it's iffy at best.

Consensus seems to be: don't do it. Take the later flight. No rush or stress. We had a 10:30 flight and made it with plenty of time and no nail biting. Congratulations on your good fortune, i.e. suite and first class.

Just curious why you mention that you are in a suite and flying first class. First class? I'm guessing the first class seats leave at the same time as the coach seats on the plane, just airborne a few seconds sooner.

First Class, (or Business Class, or Executive Platinum, or Platinum, or Gold status) can definitely make a difference in timing. People taking cruises tend to pack heavily and therefore need to check a bag or two or three. If you are allowed to use the First/Business/Priority check-in lines, you can shave significant time off of your check-in procedure. There are times when the regular line is 100 deep while the Priority line is 5 deep. That absolutely makes a difference if you are rushing to catch a flight.

Nevertheless, I agree with those who say that you can make a 9:00 flight, but also agree with those who say that giving yourself that level of stress on the last day of vacation is counterproductive. When an airline rebooks you due to a schedule change, you can call and choose a different flight. I do it all the time. A computer reassigns you to a flight that it assumes you would like. But that can be overridden. I just did so with AA. I had a flight arriving into Miami before a cruise that was supposed to land at 8:30 pm. I got automatically rebooked onto a flight that would arrive at 10:30 pm. I didn't want to arrive that late and didn't want to worry about a significant delay or cancelation with no options. So I first checked the schedule and picked out a better flight that would arrive at 4:30, then called AA and asked to be moved to that flight. They did it without blinking.

I definitely would NOT try. You'll be in a world of hurt trying to make other arrangements when you miss this flight. It will probably end up costing a fortune, and ruin your last day... Not to mention your last night on board. I've even stayed one more night near the airport when I've been in your situation. There can also be a variety of causes for late disembarkation, and Princess will not pay for your inconveniences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums