Chaplain program

GophersMN

According to Celebrity's website, they have Catholic priests aboard every cruise and a Rabbi or Protestant minister during the holidays as stated on their website.

Religious Services

Celebrity ships offer a daily Catholic mass, a special Sunday mass and a Sunday ecumenical service, all hosted by a Roman Catholic Priest. During Easter and Christmas, a Protestant Minister is onboard to perform services. A Rabbi or Cantor is onboard to conduct services during Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Hanukah.

Does anyone know how one would apply for the chaplain program? How long are they committed for? One week? Or more? What type of accomodations do they get? Is their cruise free or discounted?

Thanks

As a trained Chaplain, I would be very interested in hearing any advice or information regarding this subject. I will be on the X-Infinity for 16 days from Sept. 25 to Oct. 11/09. I would love to be of service while I am away. Even on vacation, I find this to be a wonderful opportunity!

Blessings,:):

It's rather similar to how the dance hosts were hired. They send their name to an agency and that agency does all the legwork for the cruise line. You will be interviewed and your resume will be verified. The accommodations are the lowest available and the cruise is either reduced or free. Celebrity has Catholic priests on board for every cruise, but ministers and rabbi's are only on for significant holidays.

BUT, for those of you who are ministers or rabbis you might want to check on Crystal. On their world cruise they have a full time priest, rabbi and Protestant minister for their entire world cruise. Their cruises are free.

A family friend, Catholic priest, often uses his vacation time to chaplain onboard. His favorite line is Celebrity and says that the accomodations are the best on that line. He isn't put into the dungeons...always has a room with a window. He does one mass a day. He loves the "job" and because he is always mingling with the cruisers, has made great friends and seen many areas of cruising. He knows all the spots to see and how to do it inexpensively. He's a great resource!

The agency does process Protestant ministers, but It's a Catholic group that operates it. I'm thinking that priests are at the top of the list. My husband, a minister, was able to arrange to do a Bible study on a cruise. I think their assigned clergy was rabbi.

I recall that the organization thru the Catholic Church is called the Apostleship of the Sea. Priests submit their applications to become the chaplain for duration of the cruise. Not only will the priests say Mass for the passengers, but also for the crew. Sometimes, it is the priest who leads non-denominational sevices as well. The cross on the altar is fashioned in the shape of an anchor. One of the reasons we choose Celebrity over the other cruise lines is that they supply this opportunity to their guests.

GophersMN

You might ask this question of Rev. Neal on the HAL board. He at least knows how it works with HAL.

Through 2008 HAL has had a priest on every cruise I have been on and a protestant minister on my cruises of more than 2 weeks. (I have not gone on any shorter one for several years.) I do not know if this has changed in 2009.

Archived