Video: Santorini (and advice on the hike from Fira to Oia!)

zubs

Hello!

Just got back this past weekend from our Royal cruise to Dubrovnik / Ephesus / Santorini / Corfu. Loved it!

My favorite stop was Santorini (which is why I've already finished a video about it!). Before we left, I had asked a question on the board about many recommendations I ran across concerning the hike from Fira to Oia. I had read up a lot online about it, and a few that we were with even read about the hike in Frommer's.

Since we didn't have any tours arranged for that day, we basically winged it in Santorini. Half of us stayed back and priced out a great, 2-hour (it ended up being 3 hours - nice!) guided car ride around the island for only 15 Euros a person. Saw great views! Had an awesome time.

Meanwhile, the other half decided to attempt the hike from Fira to Oia and had the worst time. What was conveyed by everyone to them was that it was an easy 6 mile hike where you could see great views and get nice photos. And they did! But they had already been hiking for 2 hours and realized that the last leg, which would have been easily more than another hour would be pretty steep and treacherous. I personally didn't do the hike - and the video I just finished of our visit to Santorini explains it all!

I hope others find this helpful (and humorous!!). Perhaps the hike is more do-able when not under the time constraints of being a cruiser and prepared with more water than they had :) BUT! They did befriend a lot of dogs along the road that led the way :)

The video can be viewed here.

The three who went on the walk had planned to do the walk and regretted doing it. But the three of us who stayed back in town decided to price out different tour options at the tour shops that were everywhere.

One that was tempting was a boat ride to the island with the volcano and the other island with the hot springs. That one would have taken 3 hours and was a reasonable 20 Euros (I think that was the price).

The one we decided to do was with a private driver. They took us in a 9-passenger van (it was nice and had air conditioning).

So while we didn't research what to do (other than the ill-fated hike), we managed to find something the day-of that was very much worth it. We saw some great spots we would have never found on our own by renting a car, and we all just paid 15 Euros a piece for 3 hours of a nice car ride, excellent stops and a pretty knowledgeable guide.

I can't think of the name off the top of my head (I do have a paper somewhere!). But, say you're standing in front of the archeological museum right by where you pick up the cable cars. If you're facing the door to the museum, turn directly behind you and there will be a restaurant (blue) and the tour shop is attached to it. The guy in there will ask everyone: "Have you ever seen The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?" Apparently part of the film was taped on the steps of their shop :) You can't miss it (and his bald head).

:)

Sorry. I am a little confused here.

Is the hard part of the walk the climb from the dock where the ship's tenders leave you, or is it some portion between Thira and Oia?

Your video seems to say not to walk up from the dock to the town of Thira. I haven't heard anyone (I haven't read Fodors, tho) say that it isn't a good climb. On the other hand, the walk from Thira to Oia, while it may some ups and downs, has not be described as regrettably hard.

Edit- I just reviewed the video. You mention picking up the walkers in your taxi/car. But there isn't any video of any tough parts of the Thira-Oia walk. You only mention the ways to avoid the climb from the dock.

The beginning part is where I'm making fun of them - the climb up really isn't bad, although they were sweating when they finally got up to the top! The reason why I'm teasing them is because the whole time on the trip, they didn't want to spend any money whatsoever to do anything, when a cable car ride up is only 4 Euros. To be honest, most people say the climb down is worse - even though it is downhill and you're exerting less energy.

I personally took the walk down back to the tender just to see how it was - and it was a little slippery in spots. The rocks have been smoothed over in some spots because of all the donkeys that continuously walk over them day in and day out, and there's poop everywhere. I remember that morning, the cruise director got on to say that every time they leave Santorini, they'll have a handful of people who either fell or twisted an ankle. I'm betting that would be more true for older people - although a slippery rock is an equal opportunity obstacle.

The part that you shouldn't do, in my opinion, is the hike. :)

This is a lighthearted jab at friends whose cheapness bit them in the end. Nothing more!! :) I didn't go with them on the hike. I was in the car and we passed them along the way. They had been walking for over 2 hours when we finally passed them, and they were still over an hour away. People who passed them said it got more difficult as you approached Oia from the spot they were at, and they were thankful we picked them up.

Later on the cruise that night, they ran into another couple who also did the hike. They were happy to have done it because they got a lot of great photos - but they said it got much, much worse at the end.

Fun video...Thanks for posting it. :D

I agree. I recently purchased my first video camera in anticipation of my January cruise stops in Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. Watching your video gave me some great ideas for how to edit some movies upon my return.

The video was fun but the hike is worth considering.

We took the hike in May 2009. "We" includes me and DH, both 52, and DD, almost 19. We are not fitness freaks but do work out a little. The hike was a highlight of the cruise.

We started early in the morning to beat the heat. We knew it would take 3-4 hours depending on our pace and how many times we stopped to enjoy the scenery. The only frightening part was when we had to walk a short distance along the road. The views were outstanding and we avoided a lot of the crowds. We had lunch in Oia and took the bus back to Fira.

We also walked up and down the hill. It took (I think) about 15-20 minutes each way. The donkey poop was pungent but avoidable. Down is harder on old knees than up.

The only mistake we made was not putting enough sunscreen on the backs of our legs. Sunburned calves hurt.

We were there recently and we - well, strolled would have to be the word - to Imerovigli, the first village you come to from Thira. That was, oh, at least a mile! - well, maybe - and it was fun. But we were glad that we weren't going any further.

Just thought I would mention that when we were in Santorini towards end of September we caught a bus to Oia for 1 euro 40 each way. They leave every half hour. We had no trouble getting one there or back. Oia is just fantastic and not to be missed. I think the photos advertising Santorini are taken at Oia. Don't know how late they run. We caught one back from Oia about 5.30 pm.

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I would mention that when we were in Santorini towards end of September we caught a bus to Oia for 1 euro 40 each way. They leave every half hour. We had no trouble getting one there or back. Oia is just fantastic and not to be missed. I think the photos advertising Santorini are taken at Oia. Don't know how late they run. We caught one back from Oia about 5.30 pm.

Where do you catch that bus to Oia? Did you also go to Fira or only Oia?

Where do you catch that bus to Oia? Did you also go to Fira or only Oia?

Fira is the small town where the cable car or donkey leads you up to.

You can catch the bus to Oia at the bus station near the taxi stand.

Walk to the main street of Fira and then make a right. There are signs for the bus station along the way. It was a 10 min walk as I recall.

The bus is very crowded with tourists--both there and on the way back. The times are posted at the bus station. You buy tickets on the bus.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the video zubs! How long is the hike up/down the steps from the ship?

I only recommend walking up the steps if you are in fabulous condition.

There are about 600 steps to go up from the ship. After you go up a step, it's about 3-6 feet walking until the next step. You have to watch out for the donkey poop and the donkeys will walk right into you so you have to be ready to get out of their way.

I rode a donkey and had a great time, but we passed the walkers and most were really struggling. When I got off the donkey, there were still about 25-30 steps to walk up and after that, I couldn't imagine how some of the people could make it all the way up. (And I'm in fine shape.) I don't know how long it would take to walk up it, but it took about 25 minutes by donkey.

Fira is the small town where the cable car or donkey leads you up to.

You can catch the bus to Oia at the bus station near the taxi stand.

Walk to the main street of Fira and then make a right. There are signs for the bus station along the way. It was a 10 min walk as I recall.

The bus is very crowded with tourists--both there and on the way back. The times are posted at the bus station. You buy tickets on the bus.

Once we get off the cable car in Fira (still debating the donkey thing) about how long does it take to get to Oia? I'm assuming that there are taxis as well as busses?

Once we get off the cable car in Fira (still debating the donkey thing) about how long does it take to get to Oia? I'm assuming that there are taxis as well as busses?

It's about a 20-minute car ride from Fira to Oia. The bus probably takes 1/2 hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! It's after you get to the top. Really, there's nothing at the bottom right when you get off the boat - so take the cable car up and walk around.

I wish I remembered the name of it, but basically - find the archaeological museum and with your back to the museum, there should be an outdoor restaurant (blue, of course!) straight ahead - and attached to it is the travel agency we used. There will be photos of Christina Ricci inside standing in the doorway because that's where they filmed The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. (I like how I remember meaningless facts and nothing of use!).

I really wish we had more than 8 hours in Santorini. It's so pretty - and my favorite stop out of the ones we hit!

I only recommend walking up the steps if you are in fabulous condition.

There are about 600 steps to go up from the ship. After you go up a step, it's about 3-6 feet walking until the next step. You have to watch out for the donkey poop and the donkeys will walk right into you so you have to be ready to get out of their way.

I rode a donkey and had a great time, but we passed the walkers and most were really struggling. When I got off the donkey, there were still about 25-30 steps to walk up and after that, I couldn't imagine how some of the people could make it all the way up. (And I'm in fine shape.) I don't know how long it would take to walk up it, but it took about 25 minutes by donkey.

My husband and I chose to walk up the donkey path, not quite realizing HOW exhausting it was. I think it took us 30 to 40 minutes. Once you commit, there is no stopping! ;) We were sweaty messes at the end! And since it was a busy day, there were a lot of donkeys going up past us and coming down toward us. It was TIGHT at times! We kept our hands up like the signal for STOP to keep the donkeys from getting too close! Now we look back and laugh, but uh, won't do that again!! :p

Archived