Sanotini tendering process on Jade...

Xpto

Hi,

Will be in the Jade sailing from Venice on August 20th and I thought someone could help me in a tendering question. We will be in Santorini from 14:00h to 22:00h, and as I want to do it on our own we want to leave ship in first tender. How is the process in the Jade? First arrive or we can pre book the time?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,

Will be in the Jade sailing from Venice on August 20th and I thought someone could help me in a tendering question. We will be in Santorini from 14:00h to 22:00h, and as I want to do it on our own we want to leave ship in first tender. How is the process in the Jade? First arrive or we can pre book the time?

Thank you very much for your help.

The normal procedure in every tender port, is that the day before there will be tender tickets "for grabs" in the Atrium (times for this will be listed in the Freestyle Daily) - on a "first come first served" system (so I suggest that you go there early), where you can choose tender times. The very first tender is usually reserved for people in suites and for those who have Gold or Platinum Latitude status (they can actually go whenever they want to, and then take the first available tender).

Edited by TrumpyNor
Spelling error...

On our cruise on the Jade in sept. 2015 the tender tickets where given on the morning we arrived in Santorini. I think around 10 am. They had a table outside on Deck 7 , there was a very long line, so be there early.

People with NCL excursions go on other tender boats to the place where the busses are, so they don,t have to stand in line.

• 2 months later...

Jolgro, re Santorini tender: how long did it take to get onshore? We don't plan to book a NCL shore excursion so will not get preference. We are booked in a mini suite and I heard that suites get some preference. Do you have any tips for tendering? (We will be in Santorini on Jun 1 docking at 8:00 hrs leaving at 17:00 hrs). Thanks!

Jolgro, re Santorini tender: how long did it take to get onshore? We don't plan to book a NCL shore excursion so will not get preference. We are booked in a mini suite and I heard that suites get some preference. Do you have any tips for tendering? (We will be in Santorini on Jun 1 docking at 8:00 hrs leaving at 17:00 hrs). Thanks!

Mini suites do not generally get counted as a "suite" when it comes to perks.

We were aboard the Jade for three weeks in 2014, and the ship's tenders were not used in Santorini. Larger purpose built ferry boats were used to transport passengers to and from the island. It seemed like fairly quick process as I recall.;)

But if you have a 2-10pm time on Santorini, what is the approx. time you will get there having no preferred tickets or NCL excursion. There is a sunset boat tour I would like, but leaves at 2:15pm during September.

We generally book private tours, but tendering in Santorini can be slow. We did an NCL tour that took in a winery and most of the island. It was good. We left the ship first.

Be aware that at Santorini, the lengthy process is usually getting back on the ship not off it. To get back down to the tender area involves either the cable car or the donkeys/donkey track (do not go there!)

We had 2 hour queues in the July midday sun for the cable car - not pleasant! (No suite/Platinum/NCL excursion priority then!)

Edited by SteveH2508

The tendering is only half of the story in Santorini....

The ship will moor off the island in the flooded caldera of the old volcano off the town of Fira (Capital of Santorini) that is on the top edge of the caldera edge that was produced in ancient times when there was one of the greatest ever volcanic eruptions (it was thought to be the origin of the legend of Atlantis and may have been the reason for the end of the Minoan civilization in Crete). The tender boats will drop you off at a small dock known as Ormos, below Fira which is then around 700 feet above the sea level.

It is possible to catch other small boats at the dock that will take you to the the other main town of Oia in the north of the island. If you want to either get a hire car in Fira to go around the island or just investigate the the village, you will have two basic ways to get to the top of the cliff - 600+ winding steps up or cable car.

In August you are going to be there in the hottest time of the year and you can expect the temperature to be at least 40-45C (104-113F) with fairly high humidity so climbing up those 600+ steps will be pretty well for Olympic Games qualifiers only. They do hire donkeys to take you up, but you will have to be pretty hard-hearted to in order to inflict that trip on the poor beasts.

That leaves you with the cable car. It travels up and down regularly but if there are other ships in port that day when you are around the queues can be pretty long. At 4 Euros each way it will probably be the best value for money of the whole cruise! The biggest problem we had last year at around the time we got in was trying to work out which queue was for going up and which one was the one for tenders back to the other ships!

The most likely scenario is that the other ships will be going out in late afternoon so as long as you find out beforehand which one(s) will be there and what their timings are you can plan accordingly. I would plan to go ashore in the mid-stay times for the other ships when the dock is at it's least busy in both directions if possible or after they have gone. Once they have gone you will have the cable car to just to the few Jade people who are staying in the village in the late afternoon and evening and it will be virtually walk-on.

Santorini is a fabulous place for a day visit from the sea and the late NCL timing will give you the chance to see one of the most wonderful sunsets in the whole world. Just be aware of those high temperatures and make sure you have plenty of fluids with you and time to have plenty of rests if you are walking around - it really is that hot.

In August you are going to be there in the hottest time of the year and you can expect the temperature to be at least 40-45C (104-113F) with fairly high humidity...

The highest recorded temp in Santorini in recent years was 104F, which happened once in June. Average lo/hi temps in August are mid-70s F to mid/high-80s F. I just didn't want the OP thinking they were going to Santorini to get heat stroke...

Edited by zackarykeef

The highest recorded temp in Santorini in recent years was 104F, which happened once in June. Average lo/hi temps in August are mid-70s F to mid/high-80s F. I just didn't want the OP thinking they were going to Santorini to get heat stroke...

You are correct about those recorded temps but remember that is the official meteorological temp taken in the shade under controlled conditions. The official temp ends up being more or less the temperature of the wind and since Santorini is a small island, that is governed by the water temperature that is somewhere around 2-4 degrees less than that recorded temp. On the cliff face and up in the town away from the sea breeze among those white buildings it will reach a significantly higher temperature, hence my advice. The op will not get heat stroke as long as they are careful in the sun and heed the advice to take in plenty of fluids. I have lived in that area and dehydration can catch you out if you are not aware of the danger when it is very hot. Drink plenty of fluids and enjoy all that Santorini has to offer - it is a wonderful place to visit, even in July and August.:)

Be aware that at Santorini, the lengthy process is usually getting back on the ship not off it. To get back down to the tender area involves either the cable car or the donkeys/donkey track (do not go there!)

We had 2 hour queues in the July midday sun for the cable car - not pleasant! (No suite/Platinum/NCL excursion priority then!)

Hi SteveH2508

What did you mean "No suite/Platinum/NCL excursion priority then" do you get priority to get back on ship if you had a suite? Just curious, i read you get the first tender out, but i was wondering . . .

Hi SteveH2508

What did you mean "No suite/Platinum/NCL excursion priority then" do you get priority to get back on ship if you had a suite? Just curious, i read you get the first tender out, but i was wondering . . .

Yes, getting back is a free for all - all are equal.

Great thread - we have two days in Santorini in June and July - the second we have an independent tour booked that returns to Fira at 8:30 - if the ship sails at 10 PM, I'm worried we're cutting it close to take the cable car down. (there will be one other ship in port that also leaves at 10 PM)

Not sure if we should go for it or not finish the tour and take a taxi back a bit early or walk down the donkey path.

Any advice???

Just one thing to be aware of, based on our experience.

Tender tickets are allocated the day before. Passengers collect them and then head down to join the queue at that time, along with the 10-20% of passengers who don't understand the concept and just turn up whenever they fancy (many of whom also struggle with the idea that queues need joining at the back, rather than the front).

It's best to do what the staff and just let them get on with it. Otherwise, you just get annoyed but they still jump the queue anyway.

Edited by KeithJenner

Great thread - we have two days in Santorini in June and July - the second we have an independent tour booked that returns to Fira at 8:30 - if the ship sails at 10 PM, I'm worried we're cutting it close to take the cable car down. (there will be one other ship in port that also leaves at 10 PM)

Not sure if we should go for it or not finish the tour and take a taxi back a bit early or walk down the donkey path.

Any advice???

I would be very concerned about the time. Normally, if your ship is to sail at 10pm, your final arrival time at the ship is at least half an hour before. You still have to tender back to the ship. When we were in line to take the cable car down at Fira, the line was very long and we had a long wait. I don't remember exactly how long, but it was more than half an hour. You can't really walk down the hill in the dark, if you did you would likely step in lots of donkey piles. Check with NCL on the final reporting time and advise your tour guide about that.

A couple of points about Santorini

Tendering is done by the Santorini Boatman's Union and is NEVER fast. The only way to ensure being off the ship semi quickly is to book a ship's excursion. Those people are tender ashore first and then the ship relocates to begin general tendering.

There are three ways up the hill. Cable Car, Donkey or Walking, and take a boat to the port below Oia where you can then get a bus to Thira, or a cab or walk up to Oia proper. This or donkey is the fastest way to get to Thira.

Coming back is easy, just walk down the steps that the donkeys use to get up the hill. Easy walk, great views, and really quick. Unless there is no line at the cable car you are guaranteed to beat it down. You can also ride the donkeys down which is interesting.

Don't let anyone talk you out of the donkey ride. They are really not donkeys but in fact are mules which are breed as beasts of burden and carrying a human up a hill is nothing to them.

I would not expect to be ashore before 13:30. When returning if you walk down the hill start down no less than 30 minutes prior to the last tender. Do not be concerned about walking down the hill in the dark. The path is well lit and you will not step in anything unless you are being careless. We have done it numerous times. There is no need to be concerned about on board time when returning, your only concern is the time for the last tender. The last tender is timed to get you back to the ship at the appropriate time. As long as you are in line for the tender prior to the last tender time you will not be left behind.

Edited by zqvol

Any advice???

Just walk down the path, it is beautiful that time of day in late June and early July.

A couple of points about Santorini

Tendering is done by the Santorini Boatman's Union and is NEVER fast. The only way to ensure being off the ship semi quickly is to book a ship's excursion. Those people are tender ashore first and then the ship relocates to begin general tendering.

There are three ways up the hill. Cable Car, Donkey or Walking, and take a boat to the port below Oia where you can then get a bus to Thira, or a cab or walk up to Oia proper. This or donkey is the fastest way to get to Thira.

Coming back is easy, just walk down the steps that the donkeys use to get up the hill. Easy walk, great views, and really quick. Unless there is no line at the cable car you are guaranteed to beat it down. You can also ride the donkeys down which is interesting.

Don't let anyone talk you out of the donkey ride. They are really not donkeys but in fact are mules which are breed as beasts of burden and carrying a human up a hill is nothing to them.

I would not expect to be ashore before 13:30. When returning if you walk down the hill start down no less than 30 minutes prior to the last tender. Do not be concerned about walking down the hill in the dark. The path is well lit and you will not step in anything unless you are being careless. We have done it numerous times. There is no need to be concerned about on board time when returning, your only concern is the time for the last tender. The last tender is timed to get you back to the ship at the appropriate time. As long as you are in line for the tender prior to the last tender time you will not be left behind.

Thanks for this.

Quick question for all: On August 9th we arrive Santorini on the Jade. According to the itinerary, we arrive 2 p.m. - 10 p.m.

According to Santorini Port . net, we arrive 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Which would you rely on?

Thanks!

Stephen

Jade is not due to leave Corfu until 1500 and is due into Santorini at 1400 next day. She will be sailing pretty hard to make that so I doubt if she could make it any earlier. The only way to get you there any earlier would be to miss Corfu and that is doubtful, so believe the NCL times.

Edited by old nutter
spelling

Jade is not due to leave Corfu until 1500 and is due into Santorini at 1400 next day. She will be sailing pretty hard to make that so I doubt if she could make it any earlier. The only way to get you there any earlier would be to miss Corfu and that is doubtful, so believe the NCL times.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

• 3 months later...

A question regarding the Platinum Tender process. We will be on the Jade Oct 1st and are stopping in Santorini. Are Platinum guests allowed to bring non Platinum guest's eg family with them for the tender process.

Edited by aussie2324