Pearl Tips and Secrets

g35girl

I've seen several recent posts on tips and secrets for Star, Breakaway, etc..but I haven't been able to find anything on the Pearl.

I love the information contained in those threads and as I will be sailing on the Pearl in May, 2015 I would like to hear what her secrets are :-)

I liked the Summer Palace dining room better than Indigo. We never had a wait for a table for 2 and went most nights around 7 p.m. If you eat breakfast in Summer Palace see if you can get a table in the back near the windows; you'll have a great view of the wake. If you like martinis, don't miss the martini tasting, there were 2 on our sailing. The German lunch at the buffet one day was good and there was a special on a bucket of German beers. Moderno was good, not as good as similar restaurants on land, but we didn't go hungry. We were lucky enough to see the amazing Frankie Valli tribute show and Second City and enjoyed both. The staff were friendly and we had a great room steward, too. I hope you have a great cruise! :)

Heather

Get the spa pass!! My DH who never wanted to hang out in the spa on any ship including the Epic where we had a spa cabin loved the spa on the Pearl. In fact he even went without me twice! :) The thalassotherapy pool and heated ceramic loungers (my personal favorite) are to die for.

You can also view the bridge through a window hmm I think Deck 10, and read all about the ship. Cute story about the red and green sock.

Maltings Bar is perfect for a nightcap after the show or hangout for awhile with new cruise friends.

My review does not have any tips or secrets in it but I have to tell you the Pearl experience was fantastic! I hope you enjoy her as well.

We went to Alaska in July, so the ship had a pretty full sailing. After a hectic 1st morning at the buffet seating area, we discovered seating at La Cucina. It's the overflow seating area during breakfast and lunch. It is quiet and relaxing. You have to walk out the buffet area near the aft elevators. Seating is plentiful and it's next to my other favorite area, the Great Outdoors. There is 1 fresh ground coffee station, close to the kid buffet area that my husband gets his coffee.

I've decided my favorite dessert is the chocolate volcano in the MDR and I'm getting one everynight of my next cruise. Since I gained 5lbs on our last cruise, I need to ration my calories and forgo most other desserts...perhaps, I will have to make room for the brownie Sundae in O'sheehans. It was Blue Lagoon when we were on the Pearl, but it will be O'sheehans in our next one, in December.

• Like 1

couple of things, 1st carpeting in hallways on floors with staterooms (cabins). While there is plenty of signage at the entrance to each deck, the fish in the carpet face toward the front (forward) of the ship. Late at night when you are tired or perhaps celebrated a bit to much, just remember that fish swim forward, that may help you from going the wrong direction. 2nd, if you are a coffee drinker, the best free coffee is in the buffet near the aft before the children's area and before going out to the great outdoors. That coffee machine freshly grounds each cup of coffee as you push the button.

While a bit pricey, the thermal suites on the Pearl are awesome (it was $249/person on our October Panama Canal cruise)and offer solitude and relaxation. Also a fantastic place for glacier viewing day in Alaska and also going through the Panama Canal or wherever your cruise takes you.

Feeling like you want to eat a little less one meal? Go to the Blue lagoon (soon to be O'Sheehans Pub) on deck 8 mid ship. Also a great place to people watch the atrium area or to catch an entertainment act if the chairs/couches in the atrium are occupied.

• Like 1

couple of things, 1st carpeting in hallways on floors with staterooms (cabins). While there is plenty of signage at the entrance to each deck, the fish in the carpet face toward the front (forward) of the ship. Late at night when you are tired or perhaps celebrated a bit to much, just remember that fish swim forward, that may help you from going the wrong direction.

Thanks deschoolie, that's perfect! It will definitely help DH as he has no sense of direction LOL!

I do have another question. I've read that on the Breakaway and Sun, you have to have your key in the slot in order to have power to the room. Is this also true for the Pearl?

No. You dont need key cards on the pearl for the lights. At least we didn't in 2012.

We loved the pearl. Perfect sized ship. Breakfast at the Blue Lagoon was delicious but I believe thats been changed to O'sheehans which is also very good.

Edited by janpo

couple of things, 1st carpeting in hallways on floors with staterooms (cabins). While there is plenty of signage at the entrance to each deck, the fish in the carpet face toward the front (forward) of the ship. Late at night when you are tired or perhaps celebrated a bit to much, just remember that fish swim forward, that may help you from going the wrong direction. 2nd, if you are a coffee drinker, the best free coffee is in the buffet near the aft before the children's area and before going out to the great outdoors. That coffee machine freshly grounds each cup of coffee as you push the button.

While a bit pricey, the thermal suites on the Pearl are awesome (it was $249/person on our October Panama Canal cruise)and offer solitude and relaxation. Also a fantastic place for glacier viewing day in Alaska and also going through the Panama Canal or wherever your cruise takes you.

Feeling like you want to eat a little less one meal? Go to the Blue lagoon (soon to be O'Sheehans Pub) on deck 8 mid ship. Also a great place to people watch the atrium area or to catch an entertainment act if the chairs/couches in the atrium are occupied.

Thanks Deschoolie. I am on the Panama (Miami to LA) in April and had been wondering about the cost of the Spa Pass. How may days was your trip? Were there plenty of passes or did you need to purchase as soon as you were on board? What was included with the passes? Thanks heaps. Enjoying this thread, but I thought there would be way more info as this ship is so loved by so many.

Thanks Deschoolie. I am on the Panama (Miami to LA) in April and had been wondering about the cost of the Spa Pass. How may days was your trip? Were there plenty of passes or did you need to purchase as soon as you were on board? What was included with the passes? Thanks heaps. Enjoying this thread, but I thought there would be way more info as this ship is so loved by so many.

14 day cruise and plenty of passes available. DW and I went everyday and spent all day on canal transit day in the thermal suites. You can get some unique photos from the sauna- you will actually be over the land as you are in each of the locks. Did not find the suites to be crowded, except for transit day. We got the passes soon as we boarded as we are very familiar with the thermal suites on the Pearl (and Jewel, and Gem). Thermal suites gives you unlimited access to the saunas and steam rooms (one each on the male and female sides of the thermal suites) plus in the common area in the middle is a thalassotherapy pool, hot tub plus both heated tile loungers and regular loungers. You can count on ice water, occasionally orange juice plus plenty of hot water for a wide selection of herbal and regular teas as well. Hours are 8 am til I believe it was either 9 or 10 pm.

Also found the outside pools to be very refreshing, going through the canal can be a hot experience. For those not interested in the thermal suites, but still want a stream room, there is a small steam room in the bathroom/changing room in the fitness center on Deck 12 forward port. The rock climbing wall was not open at all on the canal cruise. I'm guessing that is because the average age of passengers was 65 with only 28 children onboard. Compare that to an average age (per the hotel director) of a carribbean cruise being in the mid-30s. Two weeks before leaving Alaska, there had been 700 children onboard!

Thanks deschoolie, that's perfect! It will definitely help DH as he has no sense of direction LOL!

I do have another question. I've read that on the Breakaway and Sun, you have to have your key in the slot in order to have power to the room. Is this also true for the Pearl?

nope, regular light switches on the Jewel class (includes the Pearl). Outlets are limited in the rooms but stay powered when the cabin lights are off.

Pearl features a 'freestyle Sun Deck' that is a private sundeck above the other sundecks where topless sunbathing is permitted.

The Great Outdoors has breakfast each morning out on the back. Its a great way to start the day.

Sounds great fastglass! Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to take advantage of either as we are taking the Pearl to Alaska in May.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to take advantage of either as we are taking the Pearl to Alaska in May.

We took Pearl to Alaska and spent alot of time at the Great Outdoors. It was not very cold back there; it was covered overhead and protected from the wind. I think the buffet heat lamps and kitchen help warm up the area.

On our Glacier Bay day, it was gorgeous 75deg. Our faces all got a little sunburn. People were in shorts. So if you're lucky with the weather, you CAN do a little freestylin' sunbathing. I never looked, so didn't know such a thing existed on the Pearl!