Mexican Riviera Ports with Older People

katz

I would like to know how "walkable" the following ports are:

Cabo San Lucas

Puerto Vallarta

Loreta

La Paz

We are traveling with older (70's) family members. They are not into excursions, unless it involves a bus ride with minimal stops. They also don't like to spend money on such things.

Are the towns and shops an easy walk from the pier? There are some mobility problems. They are mostly interested in the shopping, not sightseeing.

Any information that you have to share about these ports would be appreciated. Thanks!!

How severe are the mobility issues?

Assuming you're on Princess. They use their own tenders for these ports. Cabo and Loreto are both tender ports.

Cabo- The Marina is a bit long to go around. There are a few shops here. At the end of the tender pier there are shops just to the left and straight ahead. Also a tented market by Solomon's Landing. Flat walk.

Loreto doesn't have much nearby, the walk into town is about 10 minutes. Lots of small shops in and around the plaza. Flat walk.

La Paz- need to take a free shuttle into town. The Malecon has lots of shops. Flat walk but can be long. Off the Malecon it is hilly. There will be vendors at the pier. Prices seem to be fair (for the most part). There are a couple of very good food stalls.

PV--across the street from port is a Sam's Club, WalMart and a huge American-style mall. Otherwise need to take a taxi (under $10US or bus (7,5 pesos, large step up into the bus, assume no AC) into the old town area. The church is up a bit of a hill. The Malecon is flat and has lots of shops. The River Cuale is down some stairs and is where the artists display their art for sale.

In Mexico there might or might not be cut outs at corners or ramps into buildings. The tourist streets are usually nice but be aware of potholes and other uneven surfaces.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you, Sadie, for your reply. I appreciate your help. We have one person who sometimes uses a wheelchair. One who is legally blind and another who is in treatment for Stage Four kidney cancer (she is receiving experimental treatment and has been ok'd by her doctor to travel). So you see, we have a lot of issues. I also should mention that one person does not even want to go on the cruise. This is going to be a very "interesting" trip!!

I like to know what we might expect in the ports and how we should plan our days. I think I read on the Princess website that they try to make things easier for handicapped people when they use the tenders.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I think I am going to need it!!

Just got a minute to give you BRIEF info right now :) In Loreto I noticed that on the Malecon the "ramps" from the road to the sidewalk were VERY steep and short.

When we were in Loreto, there were some taxis at the tender dock. I think there were a couple of van taxis, also, but am not 100% certain. The shopping area we found was inland a few blocks. Will try to find my cruise notes and see if there's more info there.

I wish you all best wishes for this trip. Loreto and La Paz are really stunning ports. I hope your group enjoys them as much as we did.

edited to add. In La Paz as SadieN mentioned, the vendors at the pier have a huge area. Huge. Their prices are fair, and if you look carefully you may find some unique things. I have a bracelet and necklace that I bought there, and I love them.

Edited by VennDiagram

Back to La Paz for a minute :) The walk to the shuttles is IMHO "long enough" if someone has impaired energy or mobility. Something to think about is, go on the (air conditioned) shuttle to La Paz and enjoy the narrative. Every time I've been on a shuttle there, there has been an English-speaking guide describing the land and life in La Paz, and the history -- just like on a tour. Stay on the shuttle for the return (air-conditioned) trip and then do a bit of shopping at the pier.

At least, that's what I think I would recommend to my travel party if there were significant health, mobility, energy issues. (Yes, even if they weren't interested in sightseeing ;) )

Again I will echo SadieN -- Loreto is flat walking, not any dramatic up hills or down hills. I am now nearly 100% certain that the touristy shopping we did was about 6 or 8 blocks inland, near either a church or museum.

Like the idea of just going back and forth on the La Paz shuttle. At times we have seen whales from the bus. Sit on the right side going to town, left side returning.

The La Paz shuttle is a huge touring bus, several steps going up into the bus. There are taxis available, but we have never used them so have no idea about cost etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Like the idea of just going back and forth on the La Paz shuttle. At times we have seen whales from the bus. Sit on the right side going to town, left side returning.

The La Paz shuttle is a huge touring bus, several steps going up into the bus. There are taxis available, but we have never used them so have no idea about cost etc.

The buses we've been on have had space underneath (normally used for luggage) where walkers and chairs have been stowed. Since one member of the party is a "part-time" w/c user, I'm hopeful the stairs would be manageable. And when we've used the shuttle there's been a portable step used, so that first step isn't as big a s-t-r-e-t-c-h as it normally is.

La Paz shuttle had a long line at the end of day when we were last there. Cabs running from the bus terminal were $5 a person so we just jumped into the next available one with the next 2 people. That is an option if you get tired.

Loreto was a cute little town a few flat blocks from where the tenders dock. At midday they set out some chairs and local dance groups performed in the square.

For everything Sadie's note is right on.

Just a fun note--

At the Loreto pier is a Sea Lion statue. I've seen several Blue Footed Boobies there. Evidently Loreto is the top of their range, no need to go to the Galapagos to see them.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I noticed was the the curbs at a lot of these places are very high and unlike other areas, there are few ramps, may be hard to move the wheelchairs up and down. Sidewalks tend to be very uneven, presents trip hazards. Sometimes sidewalks are also narrow with telephone poles blocking much of it.

I, myself, would rather stay aboard the ship and enjoy the quiet and just enjoy the views. You see much of the city from where you are on board the ship.