Cabo- The Office or the Sand Bar

MaiTaiMary

Are these two restaurants close to each other? We're thinking of just catching a water taxi over to Medano Beach and chosing one of these to hang out for the day.

We're traveling with our kids and have heard mixed reviews as to whether or not The Office will be appropriate for them. Just looking for a nice, "chill" place to spend the day. Not a party atmosphere. I figured we could just check it out ourselves and decide then, assuming they are both close walking distance.

thanks. :)

Ok, so I looked into these a little more.

Sounds like the Office is still pretty rowdy. I don't want loud music and a party atmosphere. Just a relatively quiet place to chill.

The Sand Bar is on a deck above the beach? I don't care for that, either. I want to be right on the beach.

Thoughts?? Any other suggestions??

When we went in FEB, we only hung out at the Office and in itself wasn't that rowdy but the Mango Deck right next door was very loud and not a great place to try "chill" next to.

From what i gathered from past posts, the Sand Bar and Billygans are family friendly but didn't see first hand how they fare.:cool:

After 12 visits to Cabo, my personal favorite is Tabascos. It has shaded tables, is right on the beach (toes in the sand), the drinks (and the prices) are very reasonable, and we very much like the food there. That being said, there are a lot of places on Medano Beach. If you've never been there, and if it were me, I would just wander the beach until I find a Cantina that appeals to me. Have a drink, and maybe then just wander on to the next Cantina.

If you've never been there, and if it were me, I would just wander the beach until I find a Cantina that appeals to me. Have a drink, and maybe then just wander on to the next Cantina.

We have been there before. I don't know where we were last time. What you posted pretty much sounds like our plan at this point. :) Just trying to narrow it down to a couple of names so at least the water taxi dude knows where to take us! LOL

So all of these restaurants are within walking distance of each other?

Our ship arrives at 7:30a and we have FTTF, so we plan on hitting the beach fairly early.

Thanks for the help! This time next week we will be there. Weeeeee!!! :D

Oh, yes, there are a lot of Cantinas along Medano that are within walking distance of each other. We like Tabascos because it seems to be a much quieter place (read that to mean far fewer partying college kids) than some of the others.

If you have never taken the water taxi trip out to Pelican rock, Lover's Beach, the Arch and divorce beach, I would have to recommend that, and then have the taxi drop you off at Medano. (It should cost you $8-12US pp.) The water taxi will have food (normally tortillas) that you can feed to the fish (which will swim right up into your hand.) After spending time at Medano, we always grab a land cab back ($12 total for up to 4 folks) to the Marina. It will be cheaper than the water taxi, and you will be afforded a view of Cabo San Lucas that you might miss otherwise.

Oh, yes, there are a lot of Cantinas along Medano that are within walking distance of each other. We like Tabascos because it seems to be a much quieter place (read that to mean far fewer partying college kids) than some of the others.

If you have never taken the water taxi trip out to Pelican rock, Lover's Beach, the Arch and divorce beach, I would have to recommend that, and then have the taxi drop you off at Medano. (It should cost you $8-12US pp.) The water taxi will have food (normally tortillas) that you can feed to the fish (which will swim right up into your hand.) After spending time at Medano, we always grab a land cab back ($12 total for up to 4 folks) to the Marina. It will be cheaper than the water taxi, and you will be afforded a view of Cabo San Lucas that you might miss otherwise.

This sounds great. How is the swimming at Tabascos? the kids want to swim.

Just trying to narrow it down to a couple of names so at least the water taxi dude knows where to take us! LOL

So all of these restaurants are within walking distance of each other?

:D

When we took the water taxi over, there appeared to be a roped off "lane" for boats to pull up to the beach in. There may be more than one, but we were dropped off at the northern end of Medano. It was a short walk past the more rowdy bars to the area where The Sand Bar, Tabascos, and The Office are. We met our boat back at that same spot at the prearranged pick up time.

While we took a quick dip into the water, it was rather cold, with some strong waves and got deep quickly. It was good for cooling off, but not a great beach for playing in the water, in my opinion. Stone Island in Mazatlan was fantastic for a good beach day!

This sounds great. How is the swimming at Tabascos? the kids want to swim.

As Melcoug suggested, the entire beach at Mecado suffers not only from being Pacific Ocean water (think "chilly") but also as having a steep drop off.

My kids and grandkids swim there, but my Bride and I are quite content to sit with our toes in the sand, and watch.

By far our favorite place to swim is PV. Grab a cab (or for the more adventurous) take a bus to the "new pier". The water there is normally warmer, the beach extends way out into the ocean, and the waves (being the fact that you are in a huge bay) are much less. You can also find lots of Cantinas with umbrellas or Pallapas offering shade. We have found that the food and the drinks to be slightly cheaper there, as well.

Edited by downsized
misspelled Melcoug's name

• 2 weeks later...
After 12 visits to Cabo, my personal favorite is Tabascos. It has shaded tables, is right on the beach (toes in the sand), the drinks (and the prices) are very reasonable, and we very much like the food there. That being said, there are a lot of places on Medano Beach. If you've never been there, and if it were me, I would just wander the beach until I find a Cantina that appeals to me. Have a drink, and maybe then just wander on to the next Cantina.

this sounds like a great idea for us- the only problem is our cuise departs at 3pm.

what time would we need to leave these cantinas to get back onto the ship in time for sailaway?

as we are in port for such a relatively short time :( (we arrive at 7.30am and leave at 3.30pm) and we will definitely take your advice.

what time should we start to make our way back to the ship - obviously we don't want to leave it completely until the last minute hbowever, we would like leave Medano beach as late as we safely can.

also, what will be open at 7.30am. do we have time for a bit of a drive around Cabo? some shopping? or can you please make some suggestions for us.

thanks in advance

p.s. sorry about the double post- I left it a bit late to delete the first post

Edited by raringtogo

as we are in port for such a relatively short time :( (we arrive at 7.30am and leave at 3.30pm) and we will definitely take your advice.

what time should we start to make our way back to the ship - obviously we don't want to leave it completely until the last minute hbowever, we would like leave Medano beach as late as we safely can.

also, what will be open at 7.30am. do we have time for a bit of a drive around Cabo? some shopping? or can you please make some suggestions for us.

thanks in advance

p.s. sorry about the double post- I left it a bit late to delete the first post

You'll probably want to start making your way back to the ship at least an hour before the last tender if you are leaving from Medano Beach on a water taxi. Even though you arrive at 7:30, you most likely will not get to the tender pier until closer to 8:30, the ship has to clear customs and the ships excursions get off first. Most restaurants on Medano Beach will be open by then along with many restaurants on the marina.

If you take a land taxi back instead of a water taxi, it will be faster and you'll see downtown Cabo, which is small. There is a flea market close to the tender pier for shopping. It will not be open early so if you want to hit it, plan on time after you come back from the beach.

You'll probably want to start making your way back to the ship at least an hour before the last tender if you are leaving from Medano Beach on a water taxi. Even though you arrive at 7:30, you most likely will not get to the tender pier until closer to 8:30, the ship has to clear customs and the ships excursions get off first. Most restaurants on Medano Beach will be open by then along with many restaurants on the marina.

If you take a land taxi back instead of a water taxi, it will be faster and you'll see downtown Cabo, which is small. There is a flea market close to the tender pier for shopping. It will not be open early so if you want to hit it, plan on time after you come back from the beach.

thanks CWcruisers- I figure we'll take the water taxi going out, and the land taxi coming back. and I guess they'll announce the time of the last tender on the day. is it usually around one hour prior to sailaway?

thanks CWcruisers- I figure we'll take the water taxi going out, and the land taxi coming back. and I guess they'll announce the time of the last tender on the day. is it usually around one hour prior to sailaway?

Around 45 minutes to one hour before sail away is last tender.

I'm in the early stages of planning my first cruise to the area, so please pardon my lack of knowledge.

It sounds like after we tender to shore, we can catch a water taxi. Will they be nearby or easy to find?

Once on the water taxi, is it just a straight shot to Medano beach and The Arch/Lover's Beach just happens to be on the way? Or should we ask the driver to go by these places? I'd like to get a few pictures of the Arch.

I think taking a regular taxi by land will be the best bet on the way back. Are those fairly easy to catch or should we call ahead?

Thanks!

Yes, the water taxis will be right there and easy to find.

Los Arcos is in the opposite direction of Medano Beach.

It is quite common to have them take you to the arches, and then to drop you off at the beach.

Typical cost to beach alone is about $5 per person, but quietly negotiate that price, if you choose to.

Probably will be more like $ 10 or so person to go to Los Arcos, then to beach.

The drivers will also arrange to pick you up at whatever time you choose, if you decide to taxi back to the pier.

CAUTION: You need to jump off the water taxi into the water..it can be choppy, small waves coming in, and the boat rocking.

Just be aware, hold onto your cameras and valuables. The drivers will be very helpful, but a guy like me with mobility issues has quit using this service.

GOOGLE is very helpful for finding info, the posts on this site are great for other's experiences.

I hope you have the time of your life!!

The tender dock for us was here (Muelle Principal).

On the map, you see the Buccaneer Queen, look behind it and you will see a building. That is the "purposed" tender pier. It was actually built some time ago with the anticipation of it being the primary tender pier, but so far, no go. Currently it's being used to store construction materials for the newly opened all inclusive resort, Breathless.

• 1 month later...

I heard Tabascos has new ownership and is charging for loungers now? Is this the case?

Don't mind paying if it's still a good location...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I heard Tabascos has new ownership and is charging for loungers now? Is this the case?

Don't mind paying if it's still a good location...

I'm not certain about that. I've heard that they now charge for loungers, but we guys sit at the tables in the sand and under umbrellas. The ladies like to sit closer to the water. Several times we've sent buckets of beer out to the Ladies, and they were afforded free lounges and even portable umbrellas, but not certain that that is always the case. I suspect that (as at a lot of places) if you spend money, they wave the lounger fee, but that is speculation on my part. Either way, the cost of the lounger (if any) should not bankrupt you. The food, and the beverages are reasonably priced, and the location is one of our favorites.

I'm not certain about that. I've heard that they now charge for loungers, but we guys sit at the tables in the sand and under umbrellas. The ladies like to sit closer to the water. Several times we've sent buckets of beer out to the Ladies, and they were afforded free lounges and even portable umbrellas, but not certain that that is always the case. I suspect that (as at a lot of places) if you spend money, they wave the lounger fee, but that is speculation on my part. Either way, the cost of the lounger (if any) should not bankrupt you. The food, and the beverages are reasonably priced, and the location is one of our favorites.

Any swimming?

The kids (11&14) want to hang out in the water.