Mosquitos at Las Caletas?

MissPippin

We just booked the Las Caletas Beach Hideaway excursion and have been reading reviews. I am a human magnet for all biting bugs (must be my body chemistry) including No See Ums and Mosquitoes and relatively allergic to them.

Bug spray doesn't deter the little critters and I end up looking like swiss cheese!

How bad are the mosquitoes there? We are wondering if we should re-think this excursion.

Thanks!

In February we were overnighting in PV. One gal got Dengue at Rythms of the Night in Las Caletas. We had no bites in town.

13 Day Mexican Riviera Miracle Cruise Jan 31, 2016

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135657

Read posts 2682-2690

Mosquitoes are attracted to scent. Some of us just smell better. :). Do some research what these things really like. I know some are really attracted to bananas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

In February we were overnighting in PV. One gal got Dengue at Rythms of the Night in Las Caletas. We had no bites in town.

13 Day Mexican Riviera Miracle Cruise Jan 31, 2016

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135657

Read posts 2682-2690

Mosquitoes are attracted to scent. Some of us just smell better. :). Do some research what these things really like. I know some are really attracted to bananas.

You made me curious to know how that "gal" knew she got Dengue at Rhythms of the Night?

Hank

You made me curious to know how that "gal" knew she got Dengue at Rhythms of the Night?

Hank

The cruise went to Cabo, La Paz, PV overnight, Mazatlan, and Manzanillo.

This excursion was the only one pax were complaining of mosquitos. We never encountered any. We stayed in town, watched the Mardi Gras parade (that was fun!) and had dinner and Pancho's Takos.

The cruise went to Cabo, La Paz, PV overnight, Mazatlan, and Manzanillo.

This excursion was the only one pax were complaining of mosquitos. We never encountered any. We stayed in town, watched the Mardi Gras parade (that was fun!) and had dinner and Pancho's Takos.

Ahhh, we were also at the Mardi Gras parade (we live about 2 blocks from the route) which was a lot of fun. And we are also long time fans of Pancho Tacos...although somtimes the lines at that little place are a real pain.

The reason I asked about the Dengue is we do not recall it being a big problem last season (it has been a lot more common in some other years). Folks were more concerned about Zika (last winter) although we never heard of a case. In fact, our DD cancelled her annual visit in February because of Zika concerns (she is trying to get pregnant).

It is unlikely (but its possible) that even if somebody contracted Dengue on a 7 day cruise, they would not show any symptoms until after they were home. The incubation period is normally at least 3 days (often 7 days or more). Going out to Las Caletas certainly increases one's chances of mosquito bites as they do not actively spray in that area....like they do around town.

Hank

Hank-- we were on the one-off 13 day Carnival cruise. Didn't get home til the 12th.

Don't think that itin will be repeated by Carnival. Going in January on Princess.

Thanks for the info about the spraying.

Hank

A good friend of us, local for many years in Puerto Vallarta got dengue a few years ago.

However NOT in Puerto Vallarta but most likely during her stay in Las Vegas.

We just booked the Las Caletas Beach Hideaway excursion and have been reading reviews. I am a human magnet for all biting bugs (must be my body chemistry) including No See Ums and Mosquitoes and relatively allergic to them.

Bug spray doesn't deter the little critters and I end up looking like swiss cheese!

How bad are the mosquitoes there? We are wondering if we should re-think this excursion.

Thanks!

Better take bug spray to be sure. However during the day there will be hardly or no mosquitos. During the night (ritmo de la noche) that might be different.