Palo brunch

byanks7

It's a bit of both. You start with a buffet area that includes a number of items and can go back to that if you would like, but there also are a number of dishes that are ordered from your server and delivered to you table.

It is rather a hybrid....

Most items are on a large, fancy buffet. There are amazing things--lots of seafood, chocolate dipped strawberries, desserts of all sorts, breads (why eat bread when there is so much good stuff?), really tons of stuff.

Then there is a small menu of things--think sort of an entree item. This you order and have served to you. You can order more than one of these if you wish.

On the buffet rhs side, one whole side was cold breakfast type items, which no one was really interested in. The back wall and left hand side had way more interesting things on it including lots of seafood, cavier, nice cheese etc..

As mentioned, there is then another table/cart set up with examples of the items you can order (I had strawberry soup, a grape pizza to share and there was a small steak of some kind, lasagne and a couple other things, but nothing was as good as the cold items) and of course the little dessert table.

On our times there the buffet was served by the crew but you could have as much as you wanted.

The lay out/set up on the smaller ships is different and looked better imo.

A mimosa was also included in the fee.

I enjoy the brunch, other half doesn't as not a seafood fan and didn't want yoghurt or granola. The waiter brought him a steak unordered, so must have felt sorry for him. (We had steak on our Palo dinner so the waiter knew it would go down well). Saying all that he will come back with me when we return to DCL, as I wouldn't want to dine there alone.

Also meant to say if you search Mr Google there are lots of pictures of the set up and food.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER
Adding

There is a ton of non-seafood, non-granola food available at the brunch. If he didn't partake of the rest that was available, next time bring him some crackers to eat and have a good time yourself.

There is plenty to eat if you don't do seafood. Yes, there is one area of seafood, but there are tons of other choices. The chicken parm is one of the "order me" numbers that is very popular. They even have the famous Palo pizza. If he's being a jerk, go by yourself!

For the OP just some of the dishes we had from the buffett.

This first plate went down well! Tried the grape pizza, it was OK. The second to last is a poor photo of the dishes you can order. The last is the "breakfast items".

1418013928930.jpg.2997523d5cc73b3db3df1e7dcdf8b5a6.jpg

1418013919990.jpg.022c49ae6a81c0b675c777ced423cb1a.jpg

1418013919166.jpg.5bcc84cf7565017c8c1ea64a5aef020f.jpg

1418013834073.jpg.3c8b60b9467aaaaab07d5504294f1a53.jpg

1418013921517.jpg.c3a438763c13c8322780599bb0b5630e.jpg

1418013920946.jpg.07e7cda0d92f50c4f3aa24730a0f760b.jpg

1418013918664.jpg.b735a0c9cb249b0d849f4c1ea9f2ba8f.jpg

1418013918392.jpg.2718e47a5bc7a65475b22954410f5e79.jpg

1418013921849.jpg.91c0673baa1805daeaed4eab97fbf755.jpg

1418013924766.jpg.47efff0b79b64d107715946ba3add40b.jpg

Just expanding a bit on the breakfast items, maybe it was us being fussy but the majority of things, infact all, on that table you could get on any given morning in Cabanas a huge tray of melon, yoghurt, cereal, pastries but we all like different things I guess. It was almost noon when we were there, so this was probably appreciated earlier in the day.

The set up on the Fantasy was not as nicely displayed as the other ships where you can walk around the buffet and help yourself, just the three tables in an open square formation with the food served to you.

Now the Remy brunch, well that went down a storm (as did the dinner) and my non foodie husband raved about those.

The display on the Fantasy last summer was gorgeous. While I would prefer to get my own food, if they are going to do it for sanitary reasons, I'm good with that.

As you can see, there are three tables filled with pastries, breads, fruits, salads, seafood, meats and cheeses, caviar, crab (sliced legs!), shrimp, tuna, etc., etc. Then you have the cart to order from with eggs florentine, benedict, oysters rockefeller, fried mozzarella, etc. Another cart with calzones and pizzas (you can get half and half), and then another cart with main course dishes like chicken parm, salmon, beef, pasta.

Oh, and dessert too.

img_06282015_g16_0785.jpg.cb9383977e771c074f711071233596c8.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0788.jpg.2c3dce4c690079b6ffdbbb800569d3a0.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0790.jpg.4c7f434a236ee6df6fd827ef8f763298.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0797.jpg.4bdbcd9880026fefd61585d426ee048a.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0795.jpg.fbc53550c9fe50f98a62bc60e4d36a41.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0798.jpg.476a0649a9261f57e4f874405dd8c468.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0799.jpg.b1e5e6443f73b4ade0ad69db6b859fa9.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0800.jpg.f09b47976c119faf498bec5550f52ce2.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0805.jpg.644ce6e6056b19f7f6155934f25fe7e1.jpg

img_06282015_g16_0811.jpg.0750a8a6468d008a91643fe8b6c95f23.jpg

Edited by sjlocke

The display on the Fantasy last summer was gorgeous. While I would prefer to get my own food, if they are going to do it for sanitary reasons, I'm good with that.

As you can see, there are three tables filled with pastries, breads, fruits, salads, seafood, meats and cheeses, caviar, crab (sliced legs!), shrimp, tuna, etc., etc. Then you have the cart to order from with eggs florentine, benedict, oysters rockefeller, fried mozzarella, etc. Another cart with calzones and pizzas (you can get half and half), and then another cart with main course dishes like chicken parm, salmon, beef, pasta.

Oh, and dessert too.

That's interesting. They're serving you from the buffet on the Fantasy? We did Palo brunch last month on the Dream, which is the same setup as the Fantasy, and we were still able to serve ourselves.

That's interesting. They're serving you from the buffet on the Fantasy? We did Palo brunch last month on the Dream, which is the same setup as the Fantasy, and we were still able to serve ourselves.

In our experience, the procedure varies. We have been allowed to get our own food, have been required to have a server go through the line with us or, most recently on the Fantasy, been given the option of either. I have no idea what factors go into the determination of how it will work, although I assume that the level of infection risk on a given cruise is one element.

Yes, last summer, iirc, as you walked up, a "server" got you a plate, and walked around with you as you told him what you wanted.

When the ship is on norovirus alert, a gloved server will serve you. No guest will be permitted to touch any of the food or serving implements on the buffet.

At normal times, you serve yourself. The difference is whether there has been noro suspected on any of the DCL ships or reported on other cruise lines. If reported on other ships, DCL will take precautions to avoid having to report it on their vessels.

Sooo.....I know of instances when you were served at Palo brunch buffet but served yourself at the main buffets... ??? I understood if it's a noro concern you were served at all buffets...????

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sooo.....I know of instances when you were served at Palo brunch buffet but served yourself at the main buffets... ??? I understood if it's a noro concern you were served at all buffets...????

Where there is the possibility of Noro, all buffets are no longer self serve. At the main buffet people behind the line fill a plate and hand it to you. At Palo you are accompanied by a server who fills your plate as you indicate what you want.

BUT, there are reports that the servers helping at Palo seems to be on the Dream class ships also when it's not under noro watch. The Magic class not so much.

Were these instances all on the same ship?

If that is the case, i can only think it it is because of portion control.

You are very much less likely to ask for more of something to a server, than if you were able to just serve yourself and spoon it on or pick up 3 of something when you might only eat 1 or 2?

ex techie

Where there is the possibility of Noro, all buffets are no longer self serve. At the main buffet people behind the line fill a plate and hand it to you. At Palo you are accompanied by a server who fills your plate as you indicate what you want.

BUT, there are reports that the servers helping at Palo seems to be on the Dream class ships also when it's not under noro watch. The Magic class not so much.

Ah the Dream booze cruise mentality..... I'm paying for it, so fill 'er up as much as you can possibly balance on a plate and leave a trail of food that falls off getting back to your table, only eat a third of it at best, but it's OK, "because I paid for it".

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

When the ship is on norovirus alert' date=' a gloved server will serve you. No guest will be permitted to touch any of the food or serving implements on the buffet.

At normal times, you serve yourself. The difference is whether there has been noro suspected on any of the DCL ships or reported on other cruise lines. If reported on other ships, DCL will take precautions to avoid having to report it on their vessels.[/quote']

That explains it, thanks.

I don't believe there was an outbreak on our trip, Palo brunch was the only location where they were serving you, they walked with you and you choose what you wanted and they put it on the plate. Cabanas was help yourself the whole cruise, so not sure why it is served to you on The Fantasy, but as I mentioned you could have as much as you wanted. I didn't see anyone with that greedy pile it up attitude at the brunch, unlike in Cabanas!! I wanted to say, you can go back for more you know:D

I don't believe there was an outbreak on our trip, Palo brunch was the only location where they were serving you, they walked with you and you choose what you wanted and they put it on the plate. Cabanas was help yourself the whole cruise, so not sure why it is served to you on The Fantasy, but as I mentioned you could have as much as you wanted. I didn't see anyone with that greedy pile it up attitude at the brunch, unlike in Cabanas!! I wanted to say, you can go back for more you know:D

When it comes to the shrimp at Cabanas, I plead guilty. But I eat every one of those little buggers on my plate! I live for the shrimp at Cabanas :D

When it comes to the shrimp at Cabanas, I plead guilty. But I eat every one of those little buggers on my plate! I live for the shrimp at Cabanas :D

No one has a problem with what you eat--take all you want as long as they end up in your stomach. The sad part is when they end up in the trash can.

No one has a problem with what you eat--take all you want as long as they end up in your stomach. The sad part is when they end up in the trash can.

And that is the key to common sense and not greed.

As long as you eat what you put on your plate, all is good!

Food waste on cruises is a MAJOR cost and disgusting habit of cruisers that think, well I paid a lot for this cruise....

At a buffet, you CAN GO BACK AGAIN!

If you know you like those buggers, fill your plate and belly!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie