Chocolate-covered strawberries on the Dream?

kamin83

This happened for us on our last cruise on the Fantasy. My wife really loved crepes, but the one offered that night was made with Nutella. She's allergic to nuts, so that wasn't possible. The next night, without asking, the waiter shows up with a special dessert just for her. A crepe with bananas and chocolate sauce! Above and beyond service is what makes DCL great! Without even asking, they went out of their way to make a special dessert, just for her! My wife was just so astounded at this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DCL excel at being able to meet a Guests dietary needs. I'm sure it was one of the best crepes she has ever eaten knowing the serving team cared enough to make that happen for her!

ex techie

And that is the curse of discussion boards such as CC and the DIS.

One person gets it, tells others about it, everyone then wants it and it becomes the norm until the system cannot cope and is unmanageable, so it gets withdrawn and discontinued. Everyone then accuses DCL of cutting back and loss of perks.

Easy example of this is dropping off items to be signed at GS.

ex techie

Amen.

Preach it, Brother Ex!

This is exactly why I don't talk about extras or "Magic Moments" that I experience with others on the numerous Disney boards on which I'm a member. The grifters will move in and spoil it for others.

Edited by Host Mick

Thanks for all the replies! It spun off into an interesting discussion.

First of all, Hershey's wouldn't do! He's a dark chocolate kind of guy. We always say he's a 45 year old man trapped in a 6 year old's body. ;)

With regards to making special requests, I don't think I'd be comfortable with asking anyone to go above and beyond. This will be our third Dream cruise, and we have requested to have the same waiter we had on our first. We didn't know this was possible, otherwise we would have requested him on our second cruise. Hope he's still on board! Anyway, I digress. I have so much respect for the CM on cruise ships. They work HARD, and always with smiles on their faces. We make an effort to get to know them, ask about their home and families, and how they cope with working on the ship. I'm already almost embarrassed by how hard they work for us, I couldn't imagine asking for more. That being said, I do suspect our waiter would be the best person to point us in the right direction. Perhaps I'll just ask him if he knows where we can find them.

Thanks for all the replies! It spun off into an interesting discussion.

First of all, Hershey's wouldn't do! He's a dark chocolate kind of guy. We always say he's a 45 year old man trapped in a 6 year old's body. ;)

With regards to making special requests, I don't think I'd be comfortable with asking anyone to go above and beyond. This will be our third Dream cruise, and we have requested to have the same waiter we had on our first. We didn't know this was possible, otherwise we would have requested him on our second cruise. Hope he's still on board! Anyway, I digress. I have so much respect for the CM on cruise ships. They work HARD, and always with smiles on their faces. We make an effort to get to know them, ask about their home and families, and how they cope with working on the ship. I'm already almost embarrassed by how hard they work for us, I couldn't imagine asking for more. That being said, I do suspect our waiter would be the best person to point us in the right direction. Perhaps I'll just ask him if he knows where we can find them.

Dark chocolate works fine on strawberries - the trick is to just melt it slowly.

Chocolate covered strawberries are definitely available on the ships. On our Transatlantic in May, a plate of them was sent to us as a 50th Anniversary gift from the Cruise Director. And another night, Guest Services sent us another plate of them following a less-than-magical experience with one of their staff.

Don't be bashful or reluctant to ask this favor of your server or head server. Crew Members are always ready to make magic for their guests.

L1120544.jpg.db6f50638bd20fa2e87a750c8997536e.jpg

When the pixie dust is sprinkled, and your servers are able to go above and beyond it is great!

When it becomes expected and cannot or does not appear, some, the demanding type get upset and create a fuss along with complaints, and that is not fair on the servers.

And that is the curse of discussion boards such as CC and the DIS.

One person gets it, tells others about it, everyone then wants it and it becomes the norm until the system cannot cope and is unmanageable, so it gets withdrawn and discontinued. Everyone then accuses DCL of cutting back and loss of perks.

Easy example of this is dropping off items to be signed at GS.

ex techie

Exactly!! Both in the theme parks and on the cruise line, I've encountered - either through being at the counter next to the person or (even worse because you know the person is getting LOUD) happening to be walking by when someone is berating a cast/crew member for something that their second cousin's childhood neighbor got and they didn't. Or (even better and harder to resist a sigh and eye roll) "But I read online that this ALWAYS happens!" (No, they read about ONE family having it happen.)

When it's something expected it's no longer special or Pixie Dust. And when it becomes too much (a la the dropping off pillowcases or picture frames or plates to be signed), it will get discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...
On other cruise lines, you can order them (at a cost) to be in your stateroom when you arrive. Does DCL offer this?

No, chocolate-covered strawberries are not part of the Gifts & Amenities offerings.

If you are Concierge, you could probably place a request with your Concierge host to see if they could get them for you.

But, otherwise, I'm fairly certain that your dinner server will be able to work it out for you (at no extra cost).