Wonder Tables for two

Sissaaaaaa

Do you have shared dining on DCL? Are there tables for two?

You can request a table for 2 in the MDR's, and usually they can provide that, but it is only a request, so if not possible you may be seated with others.

In the adult only restaurants, you will be seated according to your party size, so a table for 2.

ex techie

There are no tables for 2 in the MDRs. Most of the time they are able to seat a couple at a 4 top upon request (note this in your reservation; have your TA call if you used one). It is not a guarantee, but they can typically make it happen.

After boarding, go to "dining changes" and ask if you got what you wanted. If not, ask if they can facilitate it at that time.

As a couple they tend to stick you with 3 other couples on an 8 top but after sitting next to some real aholes on one of our trips, loud mouth, know it all type, sitting there in beach gear when everyone else is dressed for dinner (pre shorts allowed days). What annoyed me more than anything was instead of the 4 couples being able to sit opposite their other halves, these 2 plonked themselves bang in the middle of the table side by side forcing whoever arrived last to sit beside each other. After a few nights it was enough for us but luckily had Palo and Remy to escape to.

I decided then that a table for 2 was the way ahead in future.

Requested it on our booking and followed up with Disney sales at Celebration, nothing is guaranteed and we didn't get it so once on board I just asked for it to be changed and got it no problem.

We ended up with one of the carriages as our table for 2, and then regular tables that were not small or pokey in the other MDRs.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

As a couple they tend to stick you with 3 other couples on an 8 top

We travel as a pair and the above has not been my experience at all. One time we were seated with 3 similar pairs at an 8 top. Another time we were with 2 couples and a single (total 7 at the table). Those were the only "big" groups except the ones we pre-arranged when cruising with friends. All other times, the 2 of us were seated at tables for 6 or fewer.

What you get if you make no requests is exactly what will work when DCL throws the seating plan into the computer. It can be anything from 4 to 8. That said, we've never had a problem when we asked to be seated as "just us" which is now our request on all cruises. If you want to make friends with the people at the next table, you can. If you want to stick to yourselves, you can do that too. It's our choice.

We've never had tablemates we couldn't get along with! Sure...some are more fun than others...but hey...it gives you something to talk about later!

We enjoy tablemates....maybe we are just easy to get along with!

Out of interest when you travel as a couple are you what would be considered a traditional couple (male/female) which is what I was talking about at our 8 tops in post number 6 above. Or does pair mean mother/daughter, 2 friends or such likes as that could make a difference in the dynamics or where someone is seated too?

8 DCL cruises just as a couple (male/female). We were seated:

1. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples

2. 8 top with 2 other male/female couples and a mother/adult daughter

3. 6 top with one other male/female couple (linked with us) and a single male and single female.

4. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples

5. 4 top with male/female couple

6. 4 top with mother/adult daughter

7. 8 top with mother/adult daughter, 2 single females (friends, not a couple) 2 single males (friends, not a couple).

8. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples.

Sorry going crazy today with computer, I do dislike the fact you only get 20 mins to edit these posts and was trying to add to my last one on Word and then couldn't repost it again as timed out, but you got the gist of it Shmoo, thanks for the reply.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

We have been sailing NCL for a while now, and do not have these issues there. I guess I can make the request, but I vacation to spend time with my family, and have no interest in sharing a table!

Well you definitely asked at the right time before you booked a DCL cruise as it is that important to you!

Sometimes the differences are good, sometimes bad, depending on your own needs/wants.

ex techie

8 DCL cruises just as a couple (male/female). We were seated:

1. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples

2. 8 top with 2 other male/female couples and a mother/adult daughter

3. 6 top with one other male/female couple (linked with us) and a single male and single female.

4. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples

5. 4 top with male/female couple

6. 4 top with mother/adult daughter

7. 8 top with mother/adult daughter, 2 single females (friends, not a couple) 2 single males (friends, not a couple).

8. 8 top with 3 other male/female couples.

:eek: That is scary that you remember so much from years gone by! lol!

ex techie

Sorry' date=' I can't be nearly so exact with our cruises. I remember specific cruises, but I can't list them as Shmoo can. The funny thing is that I do recall the big groups.[/quote']

Well, I scrapbook and take massive amounts of pictures. That helps. I also have one of those brains that (for the most part) remembers details well.

That said, as the time passes (we've only been cruising for 8 years) and we do more cruises, some things are starting to blend together.

Well, I scrapbook and take massive amounts of pictures. That helps. I also have one of those brains that (for the most part) remembers details well.

That said, as the time passes (we've only been cruising for 8 years) and we do more cruises, some things are starting to blend together.

Yeah, we started in July, 1998 on the Magic (2 cruises on other lines before that), and much has changed since then both on DCL and in our family. But then, we've done lots of varieties of cruises--with friends who booked with us, friends we met on cruises and chose to sit with, times we took the assignment, and times we wanted to be "just us." And over the past few years, we've begun to explore other lines as DCL prices have gone thru the roof.

Our next cruise will be Japan! DCL doesn't go there.

Yeah' date=' we started in July, 1998 on the Magic (2 cruises on other lines before that), and much has changed since then both on DCL and in our family. But then, we've done lots of varieties of cruises--with friends who booked with us, friends we met on cruises and chose to sit with, times we took the assignment, and times we wanted to be "just us." And over the past few years, we've begun to explore other lines as DCL prices have gone thru the roof.

Our next cruise will be Japan! DCL doesn't go there.[/quote']

Well, we have a China trip planned for next year. That may be our only trip that year. Obviously not DCL. But we may visit Shanghai Disney.

We have a little "other than DCL" cruising also. And plans to go back to them.

One of the best tables we've ever had was on one of our HAL Alaska cruises. We asked for a 6 top, but were assigned to a 4 top with another couple. But they never showed up the first 3 nights. The second night the head server asked if we wanted dining companions, and we said yes. Finally, the 3rd night, we were seated at an 8 top with 2 other couples (one from late seating who wanted early, and another who were originally seated alone, but didn't want that). We all hit it off famously, and had a great time.

Yeah' date=' we started in July, 1998 on the Magic (2 cruises on other lines before that), and much has changed since then both on DCL and in our family. But then, we've done lots of varieties of cruises--with friends who booked with us, friends we met on cruises and chose to sit with, times we took the assignment, and times we wanted to be "just us." And over the past few years, we've begun to explore other lines as DCL prices have gone thru the roof.

Our next cruise will be Japan! DCL doesn't go there.[/quote']

July 1998? Were you on the maiden voyage? We were on the 5th sailing in August.

We also used to let DCL sit us where they wanted and have had pretty good experiences, but as we got older, we decided that we just wanted some alone time at dinner and began requesting to be seated alone. The request has never been denied . Our problem is that even though we participate in meet threads, most of the adult couples traveling without children prefer the later seating. We cannot eat that late, so it's hard to find tablemates.

July 1998? Were you on the maiden voyage? We were on the 5th sailing in August.

We also used to let DCL sit us where they wanted and have had pretty good experiences, but as we got older, we decided that we just wanted some alone time at dinner and began requesting to be seated alone. The request has never been denied . Our problem is that even though we participate in meet threads, most of the adult couples traveling without children prefer the later seating. We cannot eat that late, so it's hard to find tablemates.

Yes, we were on the maiden voyage of the Magic.

We don't look for tablemates any more, despite our past good experiences (and a few odd ones). We ask for a table for "just us" unless we are cruising with friends. Never had a problem.

Yes' date=' we were on the maiden voyage of the Magic.

We don't look for tablemates any more, despite our past good experiences (and a few odd ones). We ask for a table for "just us" unless we are cruising with friends. Never had a problem.[/quote']

Thanks for breaking her in for us :D

Thanks for breaking her in for us :D

You honestly didn't miss anything. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on. It was so bad that I wrote a 4 page letter addressed to the president of the cruise line. I said that if they just wanted to know that they had an unhappy guest, they could stop reading after the first paragraph; I was taking the approach that they couldn't fix it if I didn't tell them what was wrong.

I got a letter back supposedly from the pres, saying that they were taking my letter to their steering committee and enclosing a voucher for a significant discount on any cruise in the next 18 months excluding Christmas. They also sent a box of "DCL stuff" for my daughter. We waited almost the 18 months and cruised again. While I didn't go thru a check list, it appeared that each issue had been fixed.

You honestly didn't miss anything. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on. It was so bad that I wrote a 4 page letter addressed to the president of the cruise line. I said that if they just wanted to know that they had an unhappy guest' date=' they could stop reading after the first paragraph; I was taking the approach that they couldn't fix it if I didn't tell them what was wrong.

I got a letter back supposedly from the pres, saying that they were taking my letter to their steering committee and enclosing a voucher for a significant discount on any cruise in the next 18 months excluding Christmas. They also sent a box of "DCL stuff" for my daughter. We waited almost the 18 months and cruised again. While I didn't go thru a check list, it appeared that each issue had been fixed.[/quote']

That's the way to do it. It's not enough to complain. You need to offer expectations/suggestions. I heard about that maiden voyage, hence facetious thanks for breaking her in for us. By our voyage, we experienced none of the problems we had heard about.

You honestly didn't miss anything. It was the worst cruise I've ever been on. It was so bad that I wrote a 4 page letter addressed to the president of the cruise line. I said that if they just wanted to know that they had an unhappy guest' date=' they could stop reading after the first paragraph; I was taking the approach that they couldn't fix it if I didn't tell them what was wrong.

I got a letter back supposedly from the pres, saying that they were taking my letter to their steering committee and enclosing a voucher for a significant discount on any cruise in the next 18 months excluding Christmas. They also sent a box of "DCL stuff" for my daughter. We waited almost the 18 months and cruised again. While I didn't go thru a check list, it appeared that each issue had been fixed.[/quote']

On Cruise Critic, we waited impatiently for members to come back from the press preview cruises and the "maiden" cruise. It was both shocking and hilarious to read about how things went. PA announcements in your cabin all day, lots of confusion in the shows, plenty of food SNAFUs and a lot of the features didn't work right like the "Personal" navigators and the photo kiosks. It took DCL about 10 years to get the printless photo system right. The technology wasn't there.

We were on Magic voyage 8 a couple of weeks later and they had brought aboard a whole bunch more staff and things were running much more smoothly. Our KTTW cards were troublesome but we just rolled with it because it was a wonderful time.

One thing. The paint never properly cured in the Mickey pool so there were a lot of people with blue tinted feet. It became a shipboard joke. During the Hercules show, Hades rose from below the stage and when he turned his legs, his feet were painted bright blue. The place erupted in laughter.