How much should I expect to pay in Port Taxes, fees?

maddjax2

It's going to vary from originating port to port and also from whatever countries you are visiting. Impossible to tell you. Port charges are set by the local municipality.

Port charges are up to the individual ports. To port in Miami is going to be way different than the cost to port in NYC for example. Port in Jamaica will cost differently than Bahama's.

Somebody has to pay to use that port. Each cargo ship has to pay a port charge.

To me, it doesn't appear as thought your port fee's and taxes are out of line.

Why not go to the Carnival web site and price it out there?

How many ports does the cruise visit anyway?

Is this for two people?

Are you paying a fare of over $1000 pp?

OP can't price port charges out on the Carnival site :confused:

Port taxes are included in the cruise fare, their TA broke them out because they are noncommissionable maybe, some TAs do break out port charges/noncommissionable fees when they provide the billing.

OP port charges do seem to average a little over $50 per port, $159 sounds about right to me.

Travel agent is quoting Port Charges of $159 and taxes of $58.65.

I noticed that they always come to 60. pp. When we get a quote from our tRavel agent our price is always including port tax and gov. fees.

I just checked the carnival site and they do not list port charges. Just tax and gov. fees.

Vacation Total Cruise Rate$1,518.00 Gov't Fees & Taxes$78.42 Total Amount$1,596.42 Promotional Onboard Crdt$100.00 spacer.gif

They are what they are. I have to tell you that Carnival does not charge port charges. There are parts of your fare that are non commissionable and are often referred to as port charges, but may include things other than what is paid to the various ports.

You really only need to be concerned with the total that you are paying.

Price it with Carnival directly and see what they tell you, and that total is the correct one.

Prt charges are usually only $3 -$5 per port (that is what carnival pays the port). You cannot really worry about what the non commisionable fees are. In fact your TA has done you a great disservice by even mentioning them to you.

I just checked the carnival site and they do not list port charges. Just tax and gov. fees.

Vacation Total Cruise Rate$1,518.00 Gov't Fees & Taxes$78.42 Total Amount$1,596.42 Promotional Onboard Crdt$100.00 spacer.gif

As long as the total from your TA comes out the same or better than Carnival's .... don't worry about how they break out the numbers on the bill.

Carnival has to include port fees in with the cruise fare since the class action law suit back in the 1990s, but TAs still often break it out. Dont know why they do, since it seems to confuse people.

I guess that's why it's bothering me. I booked as part of a group through a TA (I'm not a fan of TA's) and we're paying $890 pp. Carnival is quoting about $700 pp.

Am I out of luck or is there any recourse?

I guess that's why it's bothering me. I booked as part of a group through a TA (I'm not a fan of TA's) and we're paying $890 pp. Carnival is quoting about $700 pp.

Group bookings are different that regular bookings. You may be receiving other amenities such as on board credit, cocktail hours, etc. that would not be included in a regular booking.

Can you still cancel?? Yikes. .... but I know some group cruises that charge more than going on your own, to pay for the group's activities.

I booked a group cruise like that to start with and still went but after that was a little leery of groups, as often they are not that good of deals.

Also, often group cruise rates are higher than the new early saver rates that came out this year. You do get some OBC usually which helps even things out. .... but if you want to be included in the group's activities .... then you have to book with the group. Iv also eye balled some bridge cruises, but not sure I want to pay the extra premium.

While those numbers are in the ballpark just ask for a total, bottom line price for the cabin. Knowing the taxes and fees really does little for you. How taxes are calculated and reported is completely convoluted and actually varies quote to quote. It's the charge that ultimately ends up on your credit card that matters!

Well, it depends. A lot of group cruises charge extra for special events and such so booking through Carnival may exclude you from the events you're traveling for. I wouldn't fight on the grounds of taxes since taxes and fees are so convoluted at this point there's no way to know if you're being taken advantage of or not. If you're just traveling on your own there is usually no good reason to book at a group rate, they never seem to be the best or lowest price options.

That doesn't sound right at all...Group rates are usually less than an ind booking. Are you sure all the fees are added into the 700, and that you are comparing apples to apples?

That doesn't sound right at all...Group rates are usually less than an ind booking. Are you sure all the fees are added into the 700, and that you are comparing apples to apples?

We are putting together a group cruise. Our prices are higher than the early saver but without all it's restrictions, which for many is scary.

The rest of our prices are actually lower.

On line you have to price out a cabin all the way to the end so taxes etc are included as they are in a group cruise.

Also the OBC & the lower deposits are an extra benefit.

Pat

Actually, that USED to be true, but not since early saver. In fact they were discussing the CC cruise and said well once you add in the OBC then it turned out to maybe be $10 less, but the group rates are more than early saver rates, by and large.

Military rates too are mostly below any group rates. You can often book on your own lately for less than group rates, and CC has some of the best group rates Iv seen.

That big difference does not sound right...TA's have to call Carnival and Carnival gives them the rates to pass on to you. $190 just sounds to far off. I would double check w/ Carnival PVP again and make sure they are giving you totals...and then verify with TA, that they aren't tacking on an additional charge for whatever reason. When my TA calls me back with price, she breaks it down exactly how the Carnival Rep gave it to her (cabin, taxes, etc)...and then we calculate total.

The online cruise agency I deal with, a conglomeration of travel agents, MUST by AGENCY RULE give you the TOTAL AMOUNT that it will cost you. They can add anything they want, doc fees, taxes, etc., BUT THE TOTAL MUST BE THE EXACT PRICE YOU PAY.

Archived