Origin of CC charges from AZ??

screen-gem

Can any past passengers tell me from where AZ posts the on-board credit card charges? Are they posted through a US bank, or from a bank off-shore somewhere? From past experience, I know that some cruise companies post their CC charges through foreign banks. Some US credit card companies then apply a transaction fee (1.5 - 2%) on the amount, even though the on-board charges are in USD.

I've encountered this surprise in the past, so I want be sure I select the appropriate credit card for my onboard account.

Thanks.

Can any past passengers tell me from where AZ posts the on-board credit card charges? Are they posted through a US bank, or from a bank off-shore somewhere? From past experience, I know that some cruise companies post their CC charges through foreign banks. Some US credit card companies then apply a transaction fee (1.5 - 2%) on the amount, even though the on-board charges are in USD.

I've encountered this surprise in the past, so I want be sure I select the appropriate credit card for my onboard account.

Thanks.

They are usually posted from Florida. I found this out on our last cruise, because I had told the credit card company that I was cruising, and would be using the card in Jordan and Dubai. When an on-board charge from Florida came up fro that same time period, they thought it could be fraud and blocked the card. I had to call the credit card company and clarify where I was.

I use a Post Office credit card that does not charge a foreign currency conversion, so I have my on board account charged to my credit card who will do the conversion, not to the ship.

In the past when pre paying for excursions, the charge was Celebrity, Paris. I assume this was because I live in U.K., but there will be a European branch that is used.

As I didn't pre pay for any Land Discoveries on Azamara I cannot say where it was sourced, but like Celebrity, Azamara are part of RCCL family, so probably all will be similar.

If you want your own bank to do the conversion, do ensure that you tick the correct box on the embarkation form AND double-check this when onboard. I ticked this box and the check-in agent asked me to confirm this verbally. However Azamara still converted our account from USD to GBP. Fortunately we had spent very little and so the exchange rate loss was negligible.

If you want your own bank to do the conversion, do ensure that you tick the correct box on the embarkation form AND double-check this when onboard. I ticked this box and the check-in agent asked me to confirm this verbally. However Azamara still converted our account from USD to GBP. Fortunately we had spent very little and so the exchange rate loss was negligible.

My question has nothing to do with FX conversions.

I'm asking about the location of the bank/clearing house the AZ uses to post their on-board charges. Such charges are in USD. I have CCards denominated in USD. Even so, some American credit card companies charge a transaction fee for charges posted fom offshore, even though such charges are in USD.

Edited by screen-gem

My question has nothing to do with FX conversions.

I'm asking about the location of the bank/clearing house the AZ uses to post their on-board charges. Such charges are in USD. I have CCards denominated in USD. Even so, some American credit card companies charge a transaction fee for charges posted fom offshore, even though such charges are in USD.

As mentioned above, the charges for things purchased on the ship showed up on my credit card bill as being posted from Florida, with no transaction fee.