Moorea & Tahiti highlights?

B]We will cruising to Hawaii and the South Seas in Oct. '17 on the Emerald Princess. Btn_goofy14.gif While we have quite a few things planned, we're wondering what some of the Moorea & Tahitian highlights are from those of you who have cruised to Moorea and Tahiti before. We would appreciate any comments for what was great or not so great!

Just Mike[/b]

Just to add in Moorea you have to plan something. The port area is really very small. There is one small general store on the road at the entrance to the dock and another general store a short walk down the road. Both are local stores, not tourist areas. There were are few people selling items around the pier area.

You have to do Patrick's motu picnic on bora bora. It will be the hi-light of your cruise! Lot's of comments on the tour on the board. We and about 30 other Princess cruisers(last Nov, 2015) booked the entire tour for the day we were in Bora Bora. Do a Google search on "patrick's motu picnic bora bora" and see all of the great reviews and how to book.

Hope this helps

On the Crown in Nov last year:

Bora Bora: I snorkeled and snorkeled and snorkeled like forever!

I took off and did not return until 2-1/2 hours later.

I went from knee deep water to snorkeling around those hotel

bungalows over the lagoon and then continued to the deep end.

The water was crystal clear, even in the deep end of the lagoon,

you could see forever.

And those huge, beautiful manta rays, marvelous creatures.

The following day in Moorea I tried to do the same thing....

I consider myself a good, strong swimmer.

But after the shallow lagoon became deep, the strong current

started dragging me out to the open water and in a matter of

seconds I was being dragged further out to sea and away from

land. If it was not for this small boat that appeared from nowhere,

I would not be writing this today!

Edited by cruiser&flyer

You have to do Patrick's motu picnic on bora bora. It will be the hi-light of your cruise! Lot's of comments on the tour on the board. We and about 30 other Princess cruisers(last Nov, 2015) booked the entire tour for the day we were in Bora Bora. Do a Google search on "patrick's motu picnic bora bora" and see all of the great reviews and how to book.

Hope this helps

IMG_1483513325.502156.jpg.14501d30c46e12a9378a3f9c6e822cf9.jpg

Patrick at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great Information. Do you have one for Tahiti??

I do not as I usually get off of Tahiti as soon as I get there. We always fly to Tahiti and then go to a resort on another island or take the Paul Gauguin on a cruise. WE've also taken a Princess ship when they used the smaller R4 ships in French Polynesian waters.

I've attached a PDF giving some information for around the dock area.

The best thing to do on Tahiti is take a tour of the inner island. THe best waterfalls in French Polynesia are on Tahiti. I would go to Le Marche and buy your souvenirs. The Cathedral is a close walk. Strolling along the boulevard that runs next to the water is nice, lots of French cafes and pastry shops.

Around the ship dock area of Papeete.pdf

Open the attachment for some good info on Moorea

Very nice list. Great job putting it together. We were introduced to the area with a cruise on the Renaissance cruise line and then a bunch more cruises on Princess after they purchased some of the R ships.

The land tour, ATV, and lagoon tour with snorkeling were all great in different years. We are going to do the boat and snorkeling this year.

I agree that Moorea has so much to offer.

Thank you for putting together and sharing your list.

On Tahiti we rented a car for the day and drove all around at our leisure.

We stayed post-cruise in an overwater bungalow and spent much of our time there so can't offer any excursion perspective. We also rented a car and drove around the perimeter of the island.

Moorea is great. Bora Bora is phenomenal. But you didn't mention you were stopping there. If you do Patrick's is a must. Many say it's the best excursion they have taken on any cruise to anywhere. It's certainly way up there...