british isle piers/terminal/etc.

lrcruising

We will be traveling to St. Peter Port, Cobh, Holyhead, Liverpool, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Portree, Invergordon and Leith on the Azamara Journey this summer. Can anyone please tell me the piers we will dock at? I am trying to find car rental locations near by but don't know where to tell them where we will be....

I think the car rental company will know where you will be in :

Cobh- only one pier

St Peter Port- you will be tendered

Liverpool - you will be at Pier Head

Sorry I cannot help with the other ports as we have never been, but if you find the cruise ship schedule for each town, it may indicate the name of the pier.

Edited by upwarduk

In Belfast the Azamara ships normally berth at either Gotto or Stormont Wharf.

There is no nearby car hire. The nearest car hire locations are at the George Best Belfast City airport, which as the crow flies is just over mile away, however by road it is just under 4 miles.

Taxis are easily available at both quay side and the airport to make a return journey with.

Invergordon is only a small town quite away from Inverness, last time we rented a car from Ken's Garage http://www.bannermangroup.co.uk/peugeot/rental/ we booked in advance and they had all the cars available dockside and rental return was to the same area.

At that time they had special cruise ship rates and you only paid on the day so if for any reason the port was missed nothing was lost, we ound them excellent.

Hi

There are 9 different car hire companies available in Holyhead. Just goggle Carhire Holyhead Port and a list will appear. I do know Hertz are situated at the terminal as we met up with people who had cruised with us before and they cancelled a Hertz car.

Once you are sorted let us know what your plans are if you want any info re directions etc.

We are not off Anglesy, we live approx 40 minutes up the coast but one of our friends family still own a farm close to Holyhead so I can text them for further info if you have any problems.

There are so many beautiful things to see and do in North Wales.

Liverpool is beautiful city and we know well, about 70 minutes from us. We are there regularly. The port is directly opposite the town and shops. There are some good free museums and of course the Beatles experience. Easy to do on foot, 5 minutes maximum to the shops. Again depends on your interests.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Hi

There are 9 different car hire companies available in Holyhead. Just goggle Carhire Holyhead Port and a list will appear. I do know Hertz are situated at the terminal as we met up with people who had cruised with us before and they cancelled a Hertz car.

Once you are sorted let us know what your plans are if you want any info re directions etc.

We are not off Anglesy, we live approx 40 minutes up the coast but one of our friends family still own a farm close to Holyhead so I can text them for further info if you have any problems.

There are so many beautiful things to see and do in North Wales.

Liverpool is beautiful city and we know well, about 70 minutes from us. We are there regularly. The port is directly opposite the town and shops. There are some good free museums and of course the Beatles experience. Easy to do on foot, 5 minutes maximum to the shops. Again depends on your interests.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Apologies for going off-topic, but would you be able to provide your views on what people who have not been to Holyhead or Wales should do at this port? Are there enough interesting things to do around Holyhead to not have to take an excursion or is an excursion the best option?

Looking at busybus that's been talked about in several threads on CC but the buses seem big and wondering if we should just walk around Anglesey...

Apologies for going off-topic, but would you be able to provide your views on what people who have not been to Holyhead or Wales should do at this port? Are there enough interesting things to do around Holyhead to not have to take an excursion or is an excursion the best option?

Looking at busybus that's been talked about in several threads on CC but the buses seem big and wondering if we should just walk around Anglesey...

Not a great deal to see in the town of Holyhead, the main highlight is South Stack with its towering cliffs, lighthouse & bird sanctuary.

That is couple of miles outside of town & would need transport to get there.

Anglesey is a pleasant rural island about 30 miles across(we lived & worked there in the 1970s} with some lovely coastal areas, but again you would need transport.

The main highlights of North Wales are on the mainland with its Castles, Snowdon Mountains, Slate Mine Museums & Heritage Steam Trains.

I would recommend car hire or booking a tour.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Sorry to take so long to reply however Bloodaxe is right. Anglesey is very rural, farms, little villages etc. You would need transport. There isn't a lot in Holyhead.

There are beautiful beaches on the island in an untouched wild way, beloved to our family as we took the children regularly to fly kites, play cricket and picnic. However depending on where you live beaches may not be your thing.

The village with the longest name in the world is on Anglesey

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch ( we call it Llanfair PG )

the train station with its name plate is a favourite photo opportunity.

Driving off Anglesey over the Menai straits with its suspension bridge is very scenic.

The suspension bridge was built by Thomas Telford in 1826 and is famous, at least here in the U.K.

With a car North Wales is an wonderful place, with some well preserved castles the best being ;

Conwy(lovely town quaint high street beautiful waterfront )or closer to Angelsy Caernarfon Castle, a world heritage site...13 th century well preserved castle absolutely stunning setting dominating the town and its waterfront.

There is a beautiful garden called Bodnant gardens very popular with all ages.

Or Snowdonia National park.

I could recommend all the above wholeheartedly.

If none of these appeal let me know your interests and I will think again.

It would also help if I knew how long you were in port for and how far you would be willing to drive as all the above are under an hours traveling time.

Hope this helps

Sorry to take so long to reply however Bloodaxe is right. Anglesey is very rural, farms, little villages etc. You would need transport. There isn't a lot in Holyhead.

There are beautiful beaches on the island in an untouched wild way, beloved to our family as we took the children regularly to fly kites, play cricket and picnic. However depending on where you live beaches may not be your thing.

The village with the longest name in the world is on Anglesey

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch ( we call it Llanfair PG )

the train station with its name plate is a favourite photo opportunity.

Driving off Anglesey over the Menai straits with its suspension bridge is very scenic.

The suspension bridge was built by Thomas Telford in 1826 and is famous, at least here in the U.K.

With a car North Wales is an wonderful place, with some well preserved castles the best being ;

Conwy(lovely town quaint high street beautiful waterfront )or closer to Angelsy Caernarfon Castle, a world heritage site...13 th century well preserved castle absolutely stunning setting dominating the town and its waterfront.

There is a beautiful garden called Bodnant gardens very popular with all ages.

Or Snowdonia National park.

I could recommend all the above wholeheartedly.

If none of these appeal let me know your interests and I will think again.

It would also help if I knew how long you were in port for and how far you would be willing to drive as all the above are under an hours traveling time.

Hope this helps[/quote

I agree with all of the above but you will be very short of time.

I would suggest a tour of Snowdonia with a visit to Caernarfon.

Most organized tours will call at Llanfair PG to visit the shopping outlets.

You will have a lovely time wherever you go if the weather is kind.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting all of those things. Just offering options.

Either of the Castles plus a look around their towns would take 1/2 a day as would Bodnant gardens.

The Menai Bridge is easily fitted in as you have to get off the island as is Llanfair PG.

Snowdonia National park could take a whole day but oh it's worth it.

Saying that after the castles we tend to take our guests to the slate mines at Blaenau as for some reason they always want to go down the mines.

And then there's Portmeirion, the 60's cult TV series The Prisoner was filmed here. This is about 1hour from Anglesey. Again this is on a lot of our visitors lists these days.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting all of those things. Just offering options.

Either of the Castles plus a look around their towns would take 1/2 a day as would Bodnant gardens.

The Menai Bridge is easily fitted in as you have to get off the island as is Llanfair PG.

Snowdonia National park could take a whole day but oh it's worth it.

Saying that after the castles we tend to take our guests to the slate mines at Blaenau as for some reason they always want to go down the mines.

And then there's Portmeirion, the 60's cult TV series The Prisoner was filmed here. This is about 1hour from Anglesey. Again this is on a lot of our visitors lists these days.

Everything you suggest is well worth a visit.

A one day tour can only ever scratch the surface of such a beautiful area.

It has taken us many years returning for holidays since we moved away and we still find new things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Busybus and were very happy. It is a full day. You won't have time to actually really go into Caernarfon Castle but we had a good walk round. Our guide was great. It is a small bus, 24 passengers or so. Bigger than a van but much smaller than a regular tour bus. We enjoyed it and would recommend it.