Would I be crazy to book the Getaway in mid-August (hurricane season)?

garnet115

I am so close to pulling the trigger and booking a mid-august cruise on Getaway. With the Freesome deal, the incredible suite prices, and the OBC my TA would give me, it is almost too good to pass up. Not thrilled about flying (would prefer to do Breakaway to Bermuda, but it is far more expensive), and my only other hesitation is hurricane season. It makes me nervous.

What are others' thoughts/past experiences?

Have cruised 25 times globally on many a itinerary .

Severalin the Caribbean during hurricane season. Last year on Freedom of the Seas Sept 8th

Will be September 6th on the Getaway in a Courtyard Haven Penthouse.

Just let the dice roll and relax...I have never had a problem . Once we sailed around a storm .

Ye Captain will Sail the other way if a storm be brewing.

No worries

Book the 8/2 cruise I'll be on. I've been on vacation on land and had 2 hurricanes go over me (Bertha in the Outer Banks NC and Charlie in Disney World).

Statistically speaking I am hurricane proof at this point (the odds are in my favor I won't be hit). Usually cruise in August and haven't got hit yet. Closest was a few years ago where the one passed south of Cuba (I think) the week before my cruise.

Edited by JasonV1

Have cruised 25 times globally on many a itinerary .

Severalin the Caribbean during hurricane season. Last year on Freedom of the Seas Sept 8th

Will be September 6th on the Getaway in a Courtyard Haven Penthouse.

Just let the dice roll and relax...I have never had a problem . Once we sailed around a storm .

Ye Captain will Sail the other way if a storm be brewing.

No worries

I'm on that cruise with you, deck 10 BD cabin.

Book the 8/2 cruise I'll be on. I've been on vacation on land and had 2 hurricanes go over me (Bertha in the Outer Banks NC and Charlie in Disney World).

Statistically speaking I am hurricane proof at this point (the odds are in my favor I won't be hit). Usually cruise in August and haven't got hit yet. Closest was a few years ago where the one passed south of Cuba (I think) the week before my cruise.

Wish I could take that insurance and sail with you, but have to wait until the week of either 8/16 or 8/23. I think I would be less worried going the week of 8/2, which feels less "prime" in terms of hurricanes.

Coming from someone who has lived in FL since 1985 and yet to experience a Hurricane I say book it - just take the insurance. You can also get "cancel for any reason" insurance if you book it very soon after you make your initial reservation. That will give you a few extra options needed.

I have taken cruises during hurricane season. Anything can happen but the ships will avoid and alter their schedules if necessary. Yes there is a peak within hurricane system but there have also been storms very early and very late in the season so worrying about a week here or there isn't worth it - just my opinion. Look at Hurricane Sandy a couple years ago - totally a freak storm that many people would have never thought possible and that happened in late October. We vacationed in the Keys this October and had amazing weather. Not saying it won't happen but to think one week or another is safer isn't realistic. Life is short, be smart, be happy and live life.

Also - keep in mind that just about every year in May we start hearing the predictions for the current years Hurricane season and inevitably it is always predicting an above average, overly active hurricane season. Some times they are right and some times they are WAY off the mark so no one has figured out how to make that crystal ball work yet!!

I am so close to pulling the trigger and booking a mid-august cruise on Getaway. With the Freesome deal, the incredible suite prices, and the OBC my TA would give me, it is almost too good to pass up. Not thrilled about flying (would prefer to do Breakaway to Bermuda, but it is far more expensive), and my only other hesitation is hurricane season. It makes me nervous.

Would a Captain be crazy enough to go into a hurricane with a $billion Cruiseship ?

A good attitude and good insurance will get you through most anything :). As long as you are willing to go with all the possibilities then go for it. FWIW, really we enjoyed our first visit to NOLA during a tropical storm. I packed rain jackets and didn't let some rain and wind stop us. We did board about twelve hours late, but still had a great time from start to finish!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since I live in a hurricane area I can answer a definite Yes. It's a crapshoot and the odds are in your favor. Even if one is out there the Captain would just sail elsewhere...I would do this before I would even think of traveling to NY in the winter, lol!

I was on what I call the Hurricane Sandy cruise and our itinerary changed multiple times. One day was really rough but we still had a great time. If the weathers bad, it's all about your attitude with it. If it was a good deal I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mid-August is just about peak hurricane season (the real peak is Sept 1). The airports and ports stay open until winds maintain 40mph. Transportation is the real threat IMHO, not the enjoyment of the cruise. The captain will always steer clear of any storms. You could miss a port or two but you still would have a full cruise. Not a big deal. Just plan ahead and change flights if necessary the week of your cruise (if a hurricane was coming).

I personally would NEVER book a cruise during hurricane season but that is because I live in Miami. It has nothing to do with the cruise itself. If a storm is approaching, I need time to prepare the house and food/water preparation. So being at sea would really frustrate me and could cost me. Of course if I lived somewhere else, I would not hesitate to book but be prepared to get there early if necessary.

Edited by david_sobe

Think about how many cruise ships are in the water on every single day of the long hurricane season. Then think about how many major problems you can remember reading about. If it were me, I'd go in a heartbeat without giving it a thought.

Mid-August is just about peak hurricane season (the real peak is Sept 1). The airports and ports stay open until winds maintain 40mph. Transportation is the real threat IMHO, not the enjoyment of the cruise. The captain will always steer clear of any storms. You could miss a port or two but you still would have a full cruise. Not a big deal. Just plan ahead and change flights if necessary the week of your cruise (if a hurricane was coming).

I personally would NEVER book a cruise during hurricane season but that is because I live in Miami. It has nothing to do with the cruise itself. If a storm is approaching, I need time to prepare the house and food/water preparation. So being at sea would really frustrate me and could cost me. Of course if I lived somewhere else, I would not hesitate to book but be prepared to get there early if necessary.

We were on vacation in the Smokies when Hurricane Hugo hit. We had even joked to our neighbors that if a hurricane hit they should tape our windows (BTW they didn't).

Well, dontcha know it hit ON OUR ANNIVERSARY(the nerve!). We were on the telephone with my parents (who stayed) and they were in their attic when my father said "the roof is leaving us", then the phone went dead. Holy Cow. Found out later it was just the ventilation turbines and they were okay and that was the only damage THEY had. We were not allowed down I-26 for 3 days...Our living room was smashed and our dogs had gotten loose but my father had walked the couple miles to our house as soon as it passed, found the dogs, secured them, and assessed the damage. Luckily the sofa had soaked up most of the rain and we escaped the storm surge that stopped 2 streets over....no electricity for 3 weeks with a baby.

All's well that ends well, however, and I would not hesitate to make the same decision to vacation again--we just put away the lawn furniture in the garage now and kennel the dogs.

We were on vacation in the Smokies when Hurricane Hugo hit. We had even joked to our neighbors that if a hurricane hit they should tape our windows (BTW they didn't).

Well, dontcha know it hit ON OUR ANNIVERSARY(the nerve!). We were on the telephone with my parents (who stayed) and they were in their attic when my father said "the roof is leaving us", then the phone went dead. Holy Cow. Found out later it was just the ventilation turbines and they were okay and that was the only damage THEY had. We were not allowed down I-26 for 3 days...Our living room was smashed and our dogs had gotten loose but my father had walked the couple miles to our house as soon as it passed, found the dogs, secured them, and assessed the damage. Luckily the sofa had soaked up most of the rain and we escaped the storm surge that stopped 2 streets over....no electricity for 3 weeks with a baby.

All's well that ends well, however, and I would not hesitate to make the same decision to vacation again--we just put away the lawn furniture in the garage now and kennel the dogs.

You have a great attitude but I just would worry too much, especially about our dog and the house.

The house you can't do anything about and pets usually are much better at taking care of themselves than people are... :)

That is not true. When a hurricane approaches, there is lots of preparation for the house. Shutters need put up, fill the gas tanks for the cars and generator, food preparation, bringing in plants, furniture, etc, touching base with insurance company, pool preparation, and a long list of other things to do. Its a full time job. A hurricane is not like a tornado. Unlike a tornado, in a hurricane the strongest house will survive or sustain less damage to those who "do nothing" as you suggest.

This must be done at least 48 hours before the storm hits and cant be done if you are off on a cruise somewhere.

Edited by david_sobe

That is not true. When a hurricane approaches, there is lots of preparation for the house. Shutters need put up, fill the gas tanks for the cars and generator, food preparation, bringing in plants, furniture, etc, touching base with insurance company, pool preparation, and a long list of other things to do. Its a full time job. A hurricane is not like a tornado. Unlike a tornado, in a hurricane the strongest house will survive or sustain less damage to those who "do nothing" as you suggest.

This must be done at least 48 hours before the storm hits and cant be done if you are off on a cruise somewhere.

I was speaking in terms of if it decides it is going to take yoru house it is going to no matter what you do.

I was speaking in terms of if it decides it is going to take yoru house it is going to no matter what you do.

I understood what you meant but that is more like a tornado which there is nothing you can prepare for or do to save your house. You just run and find a place to save your life. In a hurricane, you have time to prepare and you don't get the house blown off its foundation like a tornado. You get strapped and adhesive roofs that can handle major hurricanes, you get shutters to protect your windows, etc. A tornado would still level a house with those features. But you can substantially minimalize your damage in a hurricane with proper construction, shutters and preparation. The window is 48 hours before the storm before it gets too windy and being outside can be dangerous and difficult to work.

Edited by david_sobe

I understood what you meant but that is more like a tornado which there is nothing you can prepare for or do to save your house. You just run and find a place to save your life. In a hurricane, you have time to prepare and you don't get the house blown off its foundation like a tornado. You get strapped and adhesive roofs that can handle major hurricanes, you get shutters to protect your windows, etc. A tornado would still level a house with those features. But you can substantially minimalize your damage in a hurricane with proper construction, shutters and preparation. The window is 48 hours before the storm before it gets too windy and being outside can be dangerous and difficult to work.

Preaching to the choir sunshine...