When do you earn Le Club points?

Post it

With our upcoming cruise we will move up to another Le Club tier. Do they count the points after the cruise is finished or do they show up during the cruise? The key benefit that we're looking for is how many minutes of free internet access we have earned.

With our upcoming cruise we will move up to another Le Club tier. Do they count the points after the cruise is finished or do they show up during the cruise? The key benefit that we're looking for is how many minutes of free internet access we have earned.

You get the points after the cruise.

One benefit you do get during a cruise where you move up a tier is being able to book a new cruise using whatever number of free nights you earn by reaching that new tier.

One benefit you do get during a cruise where you move up a tier is being able to book a new cruise using whatever number of free nights you earn by reaching that new tier.

You can certainly initiate the process but, in our case this summer, the Future Cruise Officer had to send the information to Miami for final approval whilst we completed the cruise. Thus it was considered "tentative" as Miami reviewed our cruise history.

The final reservation was concluded some weeks after our return home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can certainly initiate the process but, in our case this summer, the Future Cruise Officer had to send the information to Miami for final approval whilst we completed the cruise. Thus it was considered "tentative" as Miami reviewed our cruise history.

The final reservation was concluded some weeks after our return home.

We've twice booked cruises using free nights during the cruise on which we earned the points that gave us the free nights. Miami reviewed our cruise history and calculated the appropriate $$ credit for those free nights during the cruise on which we booked. Nothing was "tentative" by the end of that cruise.

The points usually take a week - 10 days to be added to your account, but if on a b2b you can request that they are added for your second cruise.

It's worth pointing out that free nights aren't a given. 50% or more of your cruises must have been on Azamara so those that have done a few Celebrity cruises to accrue points may not qualify for them.

It's worth pointing out that free nights aren't a given. 50% or more of your cruises must have been on Azamara so those that have done a few Celebrity cruises to accrue points may not qualify for them.

And boy, do I know it! When Azamara introduced the "free nights" benefit, I was more than half-way to Discoverer Platinum status in Le Club Voyage and Zenith status in Celebrity's Captain's Club... And given my substantive cruise history with Celebrity, it was statistically impossible to earn "free nights" with Azamara by the time I got to the top tier in each of the loyalty programs [as I have now done]...

I still like Azamara for unique itineraries and for ship size in terms of docking location when it matters; I'd like to experience the reimagnined Journey and Quest... But I really like Celebrity too--particularly Solstice-Class--in terms of activity/entertainment/specialty dining opportunities and, now, for their far richer loyalty benefits [aside from "free nights" on Azamara versus "free seven night cruise" on Celebrity; things like unlimited internet, unlimited laundry, premium beverage package inclusion/Michael's Club access, specialty dining discounts (I don't need to sail in suites) come to mind] than are available to me aboard Azamara...

Azamara is surely entitled to set the terms of Le Club Voyage as they wish but I happen to think--and always have--that what's good for "big" Royal Caribbean is good for all of its component cruise lines and that it was short-sighted of Azamara to alienate avid cruisers who perfectly fit their demographic... But since their "pride over good judgment" changes--and I'll never say "never"--I've voted with my feet as to further ocean cruise bookings with Azamara [it's obviously not all about perks, I'm doing my first river cruises this year] as they just can't--I "got" the message; the differences are all the more acute now than they were several years ago--compete for my business on a comparative basis...

Azamara is surely entitled to set the terms of Le Club Voyage as they wish but I happen to think--and always have--that what's good for "big" Royal Caribbean is good for all of its component cruise lines and that it was short-sighted of Azamara to alienate avid cruisers who perfectly fit their demographic... But since their "pride over good judgment" changes--and I'll never say "never"--I've voted with my feet as to further ocean cruise bookings with Azamara [it's obviously not all about perks, I'm doing my first river cruises this year] as they just can't--I "got" the message; the differences are all the more acute now than they were several years ago--compete for my business on a comparative basis...

Afraid I have to disagree as someone who has taken more than twenty cruises on Azamara with nine more booked. It's not clear to me why someone who has primarily racked up points on a mass-market cruise line should get free nights on a near-luxury line. Frankly, the number of people at the "top tier" breakfast who have been primarily Celebrity cruisers is becoming overwhelming, too.

It's not "pride," it's recognizing those who have been loyal to Azamara. I'd love to see Le Club Voyage split off from the Captain's Club once and for all.

Afraid I have to disagree as someone who has taken more than twenty cruises on Azamara with nine more booked. It's not clear to me why someone who has primarily racked up points on a mass-market cruise line should get free nights on a near-luxury line. Frankly, the number of people at the "top tier" breakfast who have been primarily Celebrity cruisers is becoming overwhelming, too.

It's not "pride," it's recognizing those who have been loyal to Azamara. I'd love to see Le Club Voyage split off from the Captain's Club once and for all.

But I respectfully disagree...

• I believe that Azamara has abandoned its roots... Azamara was originally conceptualized as part of Celebrity, both lines shared a common leadership for years, and the link between Captain's Club and Le Club Voyage was initially created in the spirit of encouraging Celebrity cruisers to try Azamara...
  • Celebrity's Captain's Club does not create reciprocal restrictions for Le Club Voyage members who choose to sail Celebrity... Celebrity's full array of loyalty benefits--and they can be quite substantive comparatively--are based upon earned loyalty tier without regard to the line on which Cruise Points have been/are earned...

Azamara does a very nice cruise--in different ways, so does Celebrity--but perhaps their "near luxury" experience has escaped me and, in turn, influenced my sentiments... I've completed three trips/five cruises with Azamara... On two of those trips, maintenance issues--in the first case, the ship lost power twice in one night as a result of a leaky hot water pretreatment line having contaminated the fuel line; in the second [a B2B]--and I'll put this delicately--the vacuum sanitation system was problematic for several weeks before the real cause of the problem--a leak--was found/fixed [during the cruise subsequent to mine; friends were aboard]... During my third trip--scheduled as a B2B2B--the second two-week segment was terminated early and the third two-week segment needed to be fully cancelled as a result of propeller damage in Tokyo Bay; I don't hold Azamara accountable for such an unfortunate incident--and surely,in the majority, Azamara did a terrific job in responding to the circumstances from a guest perspective with compassion and consideration--but it was nonetheless disappointing that a trip, two years in the planning, terminated three weeks [inclusive of a post-cruise tour to Beijing I'd planned/paid for] earlier than planned...

So perhaps I've not experienced Azamara at its best and perhaps I've been lucky in that I've never experienced anything similar during the thirty + Celebrity cruises I've completed... That said, I do think that there is an element of pride--perhaps it's an elitism--at Miami Headquarters [i've never witnessed it from Officers/Crew while aboard; to a person, they've been exceptional] and that occasionally extends to their guests...

As noted in my earlier post, I believe that what is good for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines in total is good for all of the Corporation's component lines...

Edited by Xport

But I respectfully disagree...

• I believe that Azamara has abandoned its roots... Azamara was originally conceptualized as part of Celebrity, both lines shared a common leadership for years, and the link between Captain's Club and Le Club Voyage was initially created in the spirit of encouraging Celebrity cruisers to try Azamara...
  • Celebrity's Captain's Club does not create reciprocal restrictions for Le Club Voyage members who choose to sail Celebrity... Celebrity's full array of loyalty benefits--and they can be quite substantive comparatively--are based upon earned loyalty tier without regard to the line on which Cruise Points have been/are earned...

Azamara does a very nice cruise--in different ways, so does Celebrity--but perhaps their "near luxury" experience has escaped me and, in turn, influenced my sentiments... I've completed three trips/five cruises with Azamara... On two of those trips, maintenance issues--in the first case, the ship lost power twice in one night as a result of a leaky hot water pretreatment line having contaminated the fuel line; in the second [a B2B]--and I'll put this delicately--the vacuum sanitation system was problematic for several weeks before the real cause of the problem--a leak--was found/fixed [during the cruise subsequent to mine; friends were aboard]... During my third trip--scheduled as a B2B2B--the second two-week segment was terminated early and the third two-week segment needed to be fully cancelled as a result of propeller damage in Tokyo Bay; I don't hold Azamara accountable for such an unfortunate incident--and surely,in the majority, Azamara did a terrific job in responding to the circumstances from a guest perspective with compassion and consideration--but it was nonetheless disappointing that a trip, two years in the planning, terminated three weeks [inclusive of a post-cruise tour to Beijing I'd planned/paid for] earlier than planned...

So perhaps I've not experienced Azamara at its best and perhaps I've been lucky in that I've never experienced anything similar during the thirty + Celebrity cruises I've completed... That said, I do think that there is an element of pride--perhaps it's an elitism--at Miami Headquarters [i've never witnessed it from Officers/Crew while aboard; to a person, they've been exceptional] and that occasionally extends to their guests...

As noted in my earlier post, I believe that what is good for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines in total is good for all of the Corporation's component lines...

I don't see any free nights on Celebrity as a Captain's Club benefit until Zenith level so there is otherwise full reciprocity at lower levels.

As far as the issues you cited, they can happen to all ships. I was on that Tokyo Bay cruise and booked on the canceled cruise after it and I was dazzled by how Azamara handled something they had no control over. Puzzled you apparently didn't see it that way. Holding that incident against Azamara makes no sense to me whatsoever other than to use it falsely to try to prove your point.

If you see no difference between Celebrity and Azamara, perhaps you should stick to Celebrity. A cruise line that offers frequent cruisers "one complimentary scoop of gelato from the gelateria" as a frequent cruiser benefit is a far cry from Azamara. My one Celebrity cruise told me it was NCL with an out-of-date dress code (since changed, thankfully).

I see no reason for Azamara to give free nights to someone who primarily has cruised Celebrity. Maybe you should go to the Celebrity board and complain there that you aren't getting free nights from them like Azamara's loyal cruisers are getting from Azamara. If Celebrity doesn't give Celebrity's frequent cruisers free nights until the highest Captain's Club milestone, why should Azamara?

Edited by marinaro44

I've completed three trips/five cruises with Azamara...

If you have only done this many cruises and quite a number on X then I don't think you can expect to get free nights from Azamara. My flag was more if you were a closer 50/50 between the two lines. Presumably you got a free cruise on Celebrity when you achieved Zenith?

We were "early adopters" with Azamara and took our first cruise in 2008. We had never cruised with RCI or Celebrity and were in the loyalty programme before LCV and prior to the free nights' benefits.

We had already moved up two tiers before the new loyalty programme started and, as I recall, received two small framed pictures of an Azamara ship, luggage tags and passport covers as our rewards for moving up a level.

Other than one X cruise we have gained all our loyalty points on Azamara.

We are hopeful that this year we will move up to Discoverer Plus and looking forward to deciding when and where to enjoy our six free nights.

Well we have done 19 cruises with Azamara and not had one free night because of the 50% rule. That is because prior to our loyalty to them we had a number of celebrity cruises. The50% rule should be from 2008 not from your cruising history. All the LCV people are shocked we've had no free nights but then when they do the maths they say oh yes but it's right.

As loyal repeaters it sucks quite a bit!

Well we have done 19 cruises with Azamara and not had one free night because of the 50% rule. That is because prior to our loyalty to them we had a number of celebrity cruises. The50% rule should be from 2008 not from your cruising history. All the LCV people are shocked we've had no free nights but then when they do the maths they say oh yes but it's right.

Yes, I would agree that the 50% rule should start from 2007 at the launch of Azamara.

We have done 18 (I think!) Azamara cruises and also haven't received one free night so far. But, as I posted, we are hopeful that will change either this or next year.

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Yes, I would agree that the 50% rule should start from 2007 at the launch of Azamara.

We have done 18 (I think!) Azamara cruises and also haven't received one free night so far. But, as I posted, we are hopeful that will change either this or next year.

Certainly a change in policy seems only fair.

Since we had only one cruise with Celebrity prior to our committment to AZ, we have not been penalized.

We have also benefitted in that during that transition we enjoyed remarkably and unsustainably low prices for the Azamara experience.

Thus the issues that you, uktog and others have pointed out make our somewhat nervous wait for Miami's confirmation of our free nights seem of small matter indeed.

Certainly a change in policy seems only fair.

Since we had only one cruise with Celebrity prior to our committment to AZ, we have not been penalized.

We have also benefitted in that during that transition we enjoyed remarkably and unsustainably low prices for the Azamara experience.

Thus the issues that you, uktog and others have pointed out make our somewhat nervous wait for Miami's confirmation of our free nights seem of small matter indeed.

We have completed 17 cruises only 5 were with celebrity & 12 with Azamara.

We are Discoverer plus but as far as I can remember have never received anything free.

I do agree about the remarkable value of the early Azamara cruises, those were the days

Edited by Bloodaxe

We have completed 17 cruises only 5 were with celebrity & 12 with Azamara.

We are Discoverer plus but as far as I can remember have never received anything free.

I do agree about the remarkable value of the early Azamara cruises, those were the days

When did you move up to Discoverer Plus? I think the free nights benefit started around January 2015 (?) so if it was before then you, unfortunately, missed out. But if it was since then you should have been entitled to six free nights (as long as at least 50% of your cruises (I think it is number of voyages rather than number of points?) were with Azamara up until then).

Edited by workingtocruise-59

When did you move up to Discoverer Plus? I think the free nights benefit started around January 2015 (?) so if it was before then you, unfortunately, missed out. But if it was since then you should have been entitled to six free nights (as long as at least 50% of your cruises (I think it is number of voyages rather than number of points?) were with Azamara up until then).

Unfortunately it was way before 2015. Never mind as I have said we had the best of times.

I have a hard time believing that this what Azamara wanted when the made the rule regarding reciprocity of loyalty programs between Celebrity and Azamara. Azamara should change this to credit you as a either/or regarding free nights. If you have the required number of points earned on Azamara to receive free nights, Azamara should grant you the free nights and disregard the 50% rule. To do anything else would be a wrong to a dedicated and loyal customer as you surly are. Hopefully someone from Azamara, (Bonnie), reads this and takes it to the highest level at Azamara to correct this.

I don't see any free nights on Celebrity as a Captain's Club benefit until Zenith level so there is otherwise full reciprocity at lower levels.

As far as the issues you cited, they can happen to all ships. I was on that Tokyo Bay cruise and booked on the canceled cruise after it and I was dazzled by how Azamara handled something they had no control over. Puzzled you apparently didn't see it that way. Holding that incident against Azamara makes no sense to me whatsoever other than to use it falsely to try to prove your point.

If you see no difference between Celebrity and Azamara, perhaps you should stick to Celebrity. A cruise line that offers frequent cruisers "one complimentary scoop of gelato from the gelateria" as a frequent cruiser benefit is a far cry from Azamara. My one Celebrity cruise told me it was NCL with an out-of-date dress code (since changed, thankfully).

I see no reason for Azamara to give free nights to someone who primarily has cruised Celebrity. Maybe you should go to the Celebrity board and complain there that you aren't getting free nights from them like Azamara's loyal cruisers are getting from Azamara. If Celebrity doesn't give Celebrity's frequent cruisers free nights until the highest Captain's Club milestone, why should Azamara?

You are indeed correct that Celebrity doesn't grant their equivalent of free nights [actually, it's a free seven night cruise to the Caribbean or Bermuda but they do allow the cash equivalent to be applied to any cruise] prior to attainment of Zenith tier in Captain's Club... But it is inaccurate to suggest that there is "otherwise full reciprocity at lower levels" other than that corresponding membership tiers exist [perhaps because Azamara still uses Celebrity's loyalty accounting system; Azamara added tiers when Celebrity changed Captain's Club in November 2013] with very different benefits... For me, the most material differences include:

• As a Discoverer Plus member in Le Club Voyage, the internet allowance was reduced to 120 minutes per sailing... At Celebrity's equivalent Elite Plus membership tier, the internet allowance was and is 240 minutes... That two-fold difference may not seem material when traveling as a couple with each receiving the same allowance but--as a solo [as I tend to sail] who gets a single allotment even when paying a 100% fare supplement--it got pretty thin on an 18 night cruise [less than 7 minutes/day; perhaps service has improved after the dry dock but, at the time, one couldn't necessarily sign in within 7 minutes]... My request to apply the value of the allotment to an upgraded package-- was refused; I could instead purchase a higher priced package [on a per minute basis] once the loyalty allowance was exhausted... As a Discoverer Platinum member in Le Club Voyage, the internet allowance is 150 minutes per member, as a Zenith member in Celebrity's Captain's Club, the allowance is "unlimited" regardless of cruise length...
  • As a Discoverer Plus or Discoverer Platinum member in Le Club Voyage, the laundry allowance is one bag--per stateroom--per seven nights... At Celebrity's Elite Plus membership tier, the laundry allowance is two bags per member regardless of cruise length; at Celebrity's Zenith membership tier, laundry is "unlimited"...

Secondly, you are indeed correct that mechanical issues can and do occur on any ship but [a] I've never experienced such massive failures (water in the fuel so as to lose power and inoperable toilets--causing backups--over a period that spanned several sailings) on a Celebrity ship (at most, I needed to have the lock on a veranda door repaired), and , I acknowledged that perhaps I've been lucky... That said, my experience is my experience--and as coincidental/aberrational as it all might be--I guess that I have yet to see Azamara at its best...

I thought that I had premised my comments relative to the Tokyo Bay incident as one of personal disappointment, I thought I was clear in my observation that--in my view--the circumstances prompting the early termination of what was my second consecutive sailing and cancellation of my third was unfortunate/totally outside Azamara's control, and I thought that I was very complimentary as to the extraordinary job that was done by Officers/Crew and Go Team Members; it was a massive/highly complex logistical effort--dizzying, really--that was, virtually without exception, handled with professionalism, precision, and a very strong commitment to guest satisfaction, consideration, and compassion... For the most part I was "dazzled" by both the outcomes and the positive spirit with which the whole issue was hand...

As I recall, there were 22 consecutive cruisers on the impacted sailings; best I know, I was the only one to face such a dilemma... If you'll indulge me, I'll try to solve the "puzzle"...

• I flew to Singapore--for the first leg of my trip--using ChoiceAir [as I usually do]... It was flawless...
  • Upon termination of the aborted cruise, I was--as mentioned--flying to Beijing for a post-cruise land tour... ChoiceAir couldn't help with my flight from Hong Kong to Beijing or, several days later, from Beijing to The States... As such, I purchased both "return" tickets independently through two different [one Chinese, one US] airlines...
  • After it became clear that the cruise from Shanghai to Hong Kong would be cancelled, you may recall that an Officer [one of my all time favorites ever!] briefed the group as to what we could expect based upon "talking points" that had been sent to the ship from Miami... After that meeting, I fully reviewed my unique flight situation with the Officer and we agreed--in the context of the written directive that had been issued--that The Go Team would sort out my existing flights/get me home from Shanghai once they boarded in Osaka.
  • During our individual sessions with a Go Team Member, I again reviewed my flight complications... At the time, there was no indication that the matter would become problematic... Again, I was relieved...
  • Very late on the night prior to our disembarkation/transfer to Osaka Airport for a flight to Shanghai [it seems to me that I was scheduled for 5:30 AM], I got word from my Go Team Rep that they would not be able to handle my flights... I don't know whether they tried/failed, I don't know whether it was too complicated given available time, and I don't know if--as was stated--they couldn't act on my behalf as no one in the group was a licensed Travel Agent... It would be safe to say that I was peeved as other representations had been made and, more importantly, I could have been working the issue for days rather than during the few final hours remaining until disembarkation......
  • At Azamara's direction, I took over the Concierge Desk--with internet and phone access--and, by 3:00 AM [and with some coaching from a more helpful/absolutely wonderful Go Team Rep], successfully resolved the matter with both airlines for total cancellation/change fees of $66.54 [which Azamara reimbursed]... In some early scenarios, it looked like I'd need to purchase a last-minute new ticket from Shangai at an incremental cost [i was flying Business Class] of several thousand dollars...
  • All's well that ends well... But it was harrowing/no way to end a sailing... You will note that I persisted in getting very favorable financial terms to Azamara's advantage; it could have been easier and quicker if I'd agreed to far higher costs from the outset...
  • So, yes... My personal experience--I know it was not the norm; friends who had used ChoiceAir in both directions [they were not going to Beijing] had an exceptional/easy resolution--took some of the "dazzle" out of my assessment of the overall recovery effort...

A few final thoughts...

• I don't sail for Gelato... In fact, I've never taken advantage of that offer which--best I know--is given to all Captain's Club members...
  • And I don't necessarily sail for perks [as mentioned in an earlier post, I'm doing my first river cruises this year]... That said, if I'm staying within the "family" for ocean cruises, it is to my advantage--short of an outstanding itinerary at a great price [bOGO promotions don't work for me]--to sail with Celebrity...
  • I do understand the differences between Azamara and Celebrity with a crystal clear objectivity/a propensity to manage by studied fact that is sometimes lacking on Cruise Critic... Though they may differ, both lines do some things--it's all a matter of personal perspective/valuation--very well in my opinion...
  • Fortunately, I have never had occasion to complain to Celebrity or about Celebrity on these boards... They are what they are [to my mind, not an NCL with an updated dress code] and--within a fairly tight tolerance--they've always delivered to their representations and respectfully valued my patronage...

I guess we are one of the lucky ones as we are using our 6 free nights next month on the first leg of a B2B from Singapore to Auckland.

The bulkier number of free nights are very useful. I'm not sure yet how the smaller amount is going to work out because you pay full fare for the balance of nights. Any special offers do not apply. Therefore if you are taking 10 night cruise and get 3 free nights then you will be paying 7 nights full fare versus 10 nights with any offers that might be around at the time. It might not be worth it. Better off booking a three or four night cruise with them, but there aren't many of those. Will see how it works out when the time comes. I know this will have relevance to poster Xport.