Emirate part of Fly Cruise

maddy_o

Hi

We are doing a 7 night cruise from Dubai on 28/01/17 on the MSC Fantasia, flying from Dublin to Dubai.

Just wondering has anyone received any information (Flight confirmation no. etc.) regarding the Emirates part of the fly cruise package, my booking confirmation just states the flight numbers.

When I contacted MSC they said there was no further information but there should be closer to the time, when I rand them again a few days ago, I spoke to an operator who said no further information would be available and we would just have to check in on the day we are due to travel.

I was just eager to see if I could pre book our seats on the flight as I am a nervous flyer and would prefer to sit next to my husband.

I have booked through travel agents a few times and always been able to access my flights. We are also flying with Emirates but booked through Cruise118. Just asked for the flight booking reference which they supplied straight away. Had our seats booked for a while now. Good Luck

When I rang the first time I spoke to someone and they said they had no information on the system for the flights but that it usually came up 8 months beforehand.

When I rang this week they told me I wouldn't have a booking number and that to arrive early to the airport on the day of the flight.

I booked directly with MSC over the phone.

The booking number is a group booking - and it doesn't seem possible to pre book seats I'm afraid

I am an Emirates frequent flyer, but can't add the flight to my profile as its a group booking

I'm on the same cruise - but the week before yours :)

First time with MSC and looking forward to it :D

When I rang the first time I spoke to someone and they said they had no information on the system for the flights but that it usually came up 8 months beforehand.

When I rang this week they told me I wouldn't have a booking number and that to arrive early to the airport on the day of the flight.

I booked directly with MSC over the phone.

Just looking at tickets for an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin I've received from MSC - there's no flight booking reference which means I can't prebook meals onboard or choose seats. As Darcy15 has just stated, MSC block-books seats which leads to this problem. It's one of the downsides of not booking direct with the airline. Hopefully you'll be seated together - it may entail arriving extra early at the airport, though!

As you are not sailing until January 2017 (and assume you are flying from Dublin on 27th Jan) I doubt the air tickets have yet been issued.

Normally with Emirates, seats cannot be requested nor allocated until the flight tickets have been issued. This could be as little as 14 days before travel. Although, if MSC issue the cruise ticket more than 14 days prior to sailing, I would suspect that the flight tickets will be issued at the same time.

Once the tickets have been issued (this is down to MSC) in order to check in online you should be provided with an airline booking reference which should allow you to access your booking on the Emirates website.

Having said that, MSC should be able to request seats when they arrange for the Emirates to issue the tickets.

I wouldn't worry too much, Emirates are not like the major UK charter companies and they should ensure that your party are seated together.

I'm in the same boat (so to speak :D) as we're flying from Manchester with Emirates on 3rd March.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all yer helpful replies, I contacted MSC again an got the below response.

Thank you for your enquiry

We are sorry we are not able to provide flight reference numbers i'm afraid. The reason for this as your flights booked with us form as part of our group allocation agreement we have in place with Emirates

However, we will be in a position to request a position on the aircraft for you, although this would only be possible once flights are ticketed. This is usually the case approximately 4-6 weeks prior to sail date

We would therefore ask you to contact us again nearer the time..and we will see what we can do going forward

Thanks for all yer helpful replies, I contacted MSC again an got the below response.

Thank you for your enquiry

We are sorry we are not able to provide flight reference numbers i'm afraid. The reason for this as your flights booked with us form as part of our group allocation agreement we have in place with Emirates

However, we will be in a position to request a position on the aircraft for you, although this would only be possible once flights are ticketed. This is usually the case approximately 4-6 weeks prior to sail date

We would therefore ask you to contact us again nearer the time..and we will see what we can do going forward

Thanks for coming back with that. I've a similar booking with MSC on Emirates in the new year so this is really helpful info. :)

Hi

We are doing a 7 night cruise from Dubai on 28/01/17 on the MSC Fantasia, flying from Dublin to Dubai.

Greetings from Dublin

here is a tip, for emirates.( you can buy me a pint later :D )

they are one of the few airlines left, where you can not pre book the emergency exit seats, as they need to seee the person, before they allocate it.

Assuming you are in good health, and will be able to open the door,,,

so, lets just say, your flight departs 8pm, check in opens 5pm, be in the que at 4pm,

and, as soon as check in opens, ask for emergency seats. I have a 100% record, of getting them.

and, this way, you will have plenty of time to relax and enjoy yourself in the terminal, and, have nice seats with loads of legroom.

Edited by TheCaveman

Good tip, Caveman. I will try that in March.

By the way, further to discussion on another thread, you need to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport on arrival in UAE.

I received confirmation yesterday from Passport office that the passport will expire 10 years from date of issue. No allowance for having to renew it 5 months early! Quelle surprise!!

Greetings from Dublin

they are one of the few airlines left, where you can not pre book the emergency exit seats, as they need to seee the person, before they allocate it.

so, lets just say, your flight departs 8pm, check in opens 5pm, be in the que at 4pm,

and, as soon as check in opens, ask for emergency seats. I have a 100% record, of getting them.

and, this way, you will have plenty of time to relax and enjoy yourself in the terminal, and, have nice seats with loads of legroom.

Just make sure you get the second row of emergency seats as the first row does not recline!

Thanks for all the tips!!

Just make sure you get the second row of emergency seats as the first row does not recline!

Greetings from Dublin

Yikes! What row number would the non-reclining seats be, can you recall? What model of plane flies out of Dublin? Ken

No idea never flown Emirates from Dublin but on aircraft where there are a double row of emergency exits i.e. two over wing exits the 1st row does not recline - makes sense as it would impede those exiting through the second row.

No idea never flown Emirates from Dublin but on aircraft where there are a double row of emergency exits i.e. two over wing exits the 1st row does not recline - makes sense as it would impede those exiting through the second row.

OK, thanks. I will do some research.

Yikes! What row number would the non-reclining seats be, can you recall? What model of plane flies out of Dublin? Ken

I think you will find that Emirates flights from Dublin to Dubai are the 777s as Dublin is not big enough to accommodate the A380s. My daughter and her family flew on 777 when she visited my son and his family who are based out there. I fly from Heathrow so am usually lucky in flying on the A380.

Good luck with your plans and I hope you get good seats. The block booking that MSC have can be a problem but hope you will be OK

Suzanne

I think you will find that Emirates flights from Dublin to Dubai are the 777s as Dublin is not big enough to accommodate the A380s. My daughter and her family flew on 777 when she visited my son and his family who are based out there. I fly from Heathrow so am usually lucky in flying on the A380.

Good luck with your plans and I hope you get good seats. The block booking that MSC have can be a problem but hope you will be OK

Suzanne

Many thanks Suzanne. Looking forward to reading your report of your trip. You will do a trip report, won't you?;)

Many thanks Suzanne. Looking forward to reading your report of your trip. You will do a trip report, won't you?;)

I have done the cruise from Dubai three times (RCI once and twice with MSC) I have written reviews which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

(Serenade of the Seas)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

(MSC Lirica)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk//memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028

(MSC Orchestra)

I will be on MSC Fantasia 17th Dec (this will be part way through my 5 week visit to son and family who are based in Dubai)

We love cruising around the Emirates - so many places we want to re-visit and lots still to check out. The cruise in Dec will be calling at Sir Bani Yas Island, a new port of call for MSC so that will be interesting.

Hope your plans go well. You will love the UAE I am sure. I will, no doubt, be writing a review in Dec as for us it is a new ship to explore.

Incidentally my daughter and her family flew from Dublin when they visited Dubai and found the 777 OK. They were not on a block booking as my son gets staff travel tickets for us all (and at great prices too!!)

Suzanne

Great stuff Suzanne. I enjoyed reading your reviews. Do you know if the Oceanic hotel in Khor Al Fakkan is still offering the day pass with lunch? Ken

I cannot say for sure but I would imagine this is still likely to be operating - they tend to get quite a bit of business from the cruise line passengers (one reason to make an early start to grab the best sun loungers!!). When we have been there a lot of the crew were also taking time out to relax so if it is a good place for them then that is a good recommendation I think.

You could e-mail a request to the hotel to make sure. When I contacted them they were most helpful.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Just wondering has anyone received any information (Flight confirmation no. etc.) regarding the Emirates part of the fly cruise package, my booking confirmation just states the flight numbers.

When I contacted MSC they said there was no further information but there should be closer to the time, when I rand them again a few days ago, I spoke to an operator who said no further information would be available and we would just have to check in on the day we are due to travel.

I was just eager to see if I could pre book our seats on the flight as I am a nervous flyer and would prefer to sit next to my husband.

We've just come back from a cruise on Sinfonia where the flights (Dublin-Venice return with Aer Lingus) had been arranged through MSC. DH and I did not get seats next to each other, though one was directly behind the other. The flight was full so they couldn't accommodate us. This is the first time I've experienced this. Hopefully, you'll have more luck - some good tips advised here already!

On the subject of Emirates - anybody know how strict they are regarding hand luggage? The site states ONE piece to include a handbag - even Ryanair have acquiesced and now allow you to take a cabin bag along with a laptop bag or purse onboard. I would have thought major airlines would do the same. I'm having a real hard time planning my packing for our Sinfonia repo as it's a 24 nighter and was depending on hand luggage allowance. A total of 7kgs and one bag seems very restrictive.

• 4 months later...

Just as a follow up to my original query, I contacted Emirates again about seat requests and got the below replies:

"I am pleased to confirm that the flights have now been ticketed, hence, i would now be in a position to request seats together for your booked flights with Emirate from Dublin to Dubai

May i kindly request whether you have a preference for a window/middle/aisle seat with seats together?"

I requested 2 seats together in a back row of any block of seats and got the following reply:

I will forward on your requests now to my flights team highlighting your preferences of a window and middle seat onboard the aircraft

We will certainly try for a back row seat, however, i cannot 100% guarantee this i'm afraid

In any case, your seat numbers will be confirmed at the check in desks at the airport. However, we will of course ensure the airline is aware of your requests beforehand.

Hopefully we wil be seated together now.