Is cruising cheaper than a decade ago?

kelly@

Is cruise travel a better value than before?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is cruise travel a better value than before?

• Yes, cruising is better value
    • No, it's still a pricey way to travel
    • It can be -- if you watch out for onboard extras

We have just posted a news item about P&O Cruises. The Brit line is stating that cruising is in fact cheaper now than it was ten years ago --what do you think? Is it better value for money? Vote in our poll.

See the full story here -- http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2766

Kelly

Kelly, our first cruise was on Carnival Tropicale back in October 98. It was a 4 nighter and our stateroom was on the next to the bottom deck that had staterooms. It cost us $900 for the two of us. Heck, right now I can book a cruise on RCI Monarch of the seas, Thanksgiving week, and even with the fuel surecharge, it would cost no more. so I would say crusing has not gone up in price.

Of course now we like to book balconies and prefer 7 day so we pay more then 10 years ago. LOL!

There was one nice little plus for soda drinkers. Back then soda was no extra charge in the lido restuarant, you only paid for it when you ordered it from a lounge. That is the only cruise that I have been on that I saw free soda.

I remember $169..3 days..in the 70's when it started to catch-on, $800 pp for a week was a great value.. I cruze now about $65-ish a day, and thatz w/Single supp + fuel supp, it was non existant back then/ so yep, quiet a value for me

We went our first cruise last year and we find it is worth and now especially today with inflations cost, i still think cruise is cheaper because of the rental car, gas, look for resturants , here cruise everything is there in one place. Port shop than lunch time go back and have lunch and than go back to port is still worth it in one price.:)

Hi,

Absolutely cheaper, in real $$ and adjusted $$$.

The cruise lines bare revenue per berth has been litterally flat for over 12 years. Considering inflationnary impact and all costs having gone up steadily over that period ( even if remove FUEL out of that equation ), you wonder how they managed to remain profitable up to Fiscal 2007.

It's no surprise that the lines are forever and something frantically looking for ways to cut costs and add ''accessorial '' revenues....Who can blame them.....?

The option would be a stock pile of fallen flag of failed cruise lines and nowhere for us cruise-aholics to sail ...!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Perish the tought !

Cheers:D

We are taking a 10th anniversary (of cruising) cruise this January repeating the same itinerary (Western Carib.) as we did on our first cruise in Jan, 1999. We used Cruise.com then and paid $717.00 for an inside on the then brand new Carnival Paradise. I'm booked for the Carnival Liberty this January for an inside for only $495.00 taxes and fuel included! Of course the airfare is considerably higher. One big reduction has been in the NIGHTLY midnight buffets...I thought I'd died and gone to buffet heaven when I boarded the Paradise and heard about the nightly buffets.

I actually think per dollar value it is cheaper! We went on our FIRST cruise way back in 1978 and it was $800 each!!! For an INSIDE cabin. so considering what the dollar was worth then and now..what a deal we have now adays!

We have always cruised with a window cabin or better, since the early l980s. I remember our first Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Odessey, the best we could afford was a obstructed view cabin, at $3,500 each for a 12 cruise from Venice to London. That was $3,500 each without air. Today, for that same $3,500 we can get a similar cruise, without air but a balcony cabin.

So it really depends on where you go and when in some cases. We look for the value now more than ever since we are retired. Really like TAs and transition cruises for value.

The market is quiet competitive, cruise lines often offer very good deals today to fill ships.

One does need to watch what the spend on board, there is more nickle and diming today.

We have cruised over 30+ times, so obviously we feel its a good value. :)

Alot cheaper now.My first cruise was 17 years ago on Carnival.My daughter and I had the lowest catagory,inside with bunk beds.Had to be bunk beds there was no room for another bed on the floor.And it cost with airfare from NY to Fl around $2000. I can get alot nicer room for that money now!

Laura

Archived