Question re currency and other cruise "must haves"

Laurin612

Hi everyone! As I mentioned previously, in 12 days my family and I will be boarding the Favolosa in Copenhagen. This will be our first trip to Europe and our first cruise on Costa. We are very much looking forward to this trip as it might be our last "big" trip for a while since our daughter will be starting university in the Fall.

Apart from the usual stuff you'd bring on a cruise, can anyone think of anything special we might need to bring (i.e., a voltage converter for the outlets, etc.) that we might not have needed on a U.S. cruise line?

We're planning to bring Euros--does anyone know if we will need to convert Euros to Danish krone and Norwegian krone or if Euros are readily accepted in Norway and Denmark? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Laurin612

There's a US 110v and an EU 220v outlet at the desk. Most modern adapters are multi-voltage (it will be marked on the body), all you need is a simple adapter, not a converter.

There are some technical issues due to power being generated on a ship at sea, not the power grid. Especially, surge protectors not rated for maritime use are dangerous, also high wattage applianes are not permitted, but those rules are the same as American ships.

Are your credit/ATM cards chip cards? How much time are you spending in Copenhagen?

Thanks, Bob. We're spending two nights in Copenhagen before the cruise. Credit cards are not chip cards, but ATM cards are.

We now have chip credit cards. Never had a problem before without the chip.

Please post a review when you get home Laurin as I am on Favolosa from Copenhagen in August. Wondering about transfer to the ship etc.....

Have a great time

Caryl

Will do, Caryl. And, thanks! We will be staying in Copenhagen for two nights prior to the cruise so I can't really speak to transfer from the airport. I'm sure we'll just take a cab from the hotel.

Edited by Laurin612

My husband and I stayed in Copenhagen for two nights prior to our cruise two weeks ago. I got Danish Kronor before we left and used it for cab fair and incidentals. Be sure to go to Tivoli Gardens while you are there. Beautiful place and plenty of restaurants. We took the guided walking tour from City Hall and also enjoyed the National Museum of Denmark. Any souvenirs from the museum gift shop can be mailed home at a reasonable cost. Our box arrived just the other day and it was packed beautifully, nothing broken. Be sure to walk in the walking lanes and not the bike lanes. Those guys ride fast and do not like to stop!:D

My husband and I stayed in Copenhagen for two nights prior to our cruise two weeks ago. I got Danish Kronor before we left and used it for cab fair and incidentals. Be sure to go to Tivoli Gardens while you are there. Beautiful place and plenty of restaurants. We took the guided walking tour from City Hall and also enjoyed the National Museum of Denmark. Any souvenirs from the museum gift shop can be mailed home at a reasonable cost. Our box arrived just the other day and it was packed beautifully, nothing broken. Be sure to walk in the walking lanes and not the bike lanes. Those guys ride fast and do not like to stop!:D

Danes are lovely people except when they are on bicycles.

We used the Free Walking Tour in Copenhagen by Sandemanns New Europe Tour and they were excellent

You will need DKK and NOK in their respective countries for incidentals - bus fares, small shop purchases, stamps

Edited by tomvet

Thanks for the tips so far. My husband got Danish kronor yesterday. We're definitely planning to visit Tivoli Gardens. My daughter has a friend who was an exchange student from Copenhagen at her high school this year and we're meeting up with her and her family. Walking tours sound like a great idea.

We also have some Euros, but does anyone know if we'll be able to get Norwegian kronor on the ship? We won't need much of that. If not, may I assume there will be a currency exchange near the port?

Thanks for the tips so far. My husband got Danish kronor yesterday. We're definitely planning to visit Tivoli Gardens. My daughter has a friend who was an exchange student from Copenhagen at her high school this year and we're meeting up with her and her family. Walking tours sound like a great idea.

We also have some Euros, but does anyone know if we'll be able to get Norwegian kronor on the ship? We won't need much of that. If not, may I assume there will be a currency exchange near the port?

Hi Laurin612,

I'm sure the port(s) will have an ATM machine(s). Get what you need there.

We have always just gotten money for our European trips from ATM's at airports and in the cities themselves. We have always gotten a better exchange rate as well. (Just make sure your personal ATM pin code does not start with a 0 [zero]).

(If there are no ATM's in these ports, then I'm sure someone will correct me on this for Norway and Denmark).

Not sure if you've done this yet, but there is a wealth of information on the Ports of Call boards section here on Cruise Critic. Take a look and do a couple of searches, you'll probably have all you're questions answered.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

p.s. Don't forget to report back how the new Suite Perks work out!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI,

On our recent voyage on the Luminosa you are able to exchange currency for whatever country you will be visiting. They do have certain hours for this. The hours for currency exchange on our ship were from 4:00pm to 6:00pm or in reality, from anytime after 4:00pm when the officer assigned to this task decides to arrive until said officer decides to close up shop and go grab a cocktail!