Is it true that you need to pay for late night Pizza? Any info on Magica please help

gam888

We are considering booking the Magica for October in the Med. Booking from Canada, I was told that they have included in the booking info that we will get free water at the dining room, whereas others might have to pay. I also read that in late evening, say we want to have something to eat at about 11:30pm, the only thing we can get is pizza from somewhere, and you have to pay for it? I am not referring to room service, but just to go to pizza place yourself to pick it up you have to pay? Can anyone who have sailed on the Magica recently verify that information?

We have sailed on MSC before, and Costa, but a long time ago. I am familiar with listening to different languages during the announcements etc. I am interested to know more about the service, the attitude of the crew, and the manners of fellow passengers. What about the food quality, and the entertainments? Are there tons of kids on the dance floor with the adults, (as seen as some ships), do the bands play good tempo dancing music? We are fond of doing some dancing after dinner so the music genre and dancing venues are of particular interest to us. The booking would come with some onboard credit, so we plan to book some shore excursions with the ship, although usually we just share taxi tours with other passengers. Would you get enough decent quality shore excursions conducted in English from the ship? Any other info on the Magica would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

We are considering booking the Magica for October in the Med. Booking from Canada, I was told that they have included in the booking info that we will get free water at the dining room, whereas others might have to pay. I also read that in late evening, say we want to have something to eat at about 11:30pm, the only thing we can get is pizza from somewhere, and you have to pay for it? I am not referring to room service, but just to go to pizza place yourself to pick it up you have to pay? Can anyone who have sailed on the Magica recently verify that information?

We have sailed on MSC before, and Costa, but a long time ago. I am familiar with listening to different languages during the announcements etc. I am interested to know more about the service, the attitude of the crew, and the manners of fellow passengers. What about the food quality, and the entertainments? Are there tons of kids on the dance floor with the adults, (as seen as some ships), do the bands play good tempo dancing music? We are fond of doing some dancing after dinner so the music genre and dancing venues are of particular interest to us. The booking would come with some onboard credit, so we plan to book some shore excursions with the ship, although usually we just share taxi tours with other passengers. Would you get enough decent quality shore excursions conducted in English from the ship? Any other info on the Magica would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Not sailed on Magica but have on 4 other ships. We have 3 kids and never seen kids on the dance floor. Food is 3* and entertainment in the theatre is very good.

Pizza is available in the Pizzeria in the evening - it is a speciality type place costing €6,50 for pizza, salad and dessert.

Never have done a Costa tour but many English tours get cancelled if there are few takers or else may have to double up with a French or German tour.

Can you not use your OBC to pay the compulsory service charge?

Edited by tomvet

I confirm that pizza is not complimentary in the evening. I don't know about Magica, but some Costa ships have a fee of 4,50€ (I have been in May onboard Costa Favolosa and the price was that) per person while other ones have a fee of 6,50€ (for sure onboard Diadema according to people who sailed on her) for an entire pizza, salad and a dessert. Slices of pizza are not avilable in the evening

Magica is a ship with plenty of dance floors, the main one is in the grand bar Salento, but in the grand bar take also place the animation activities in the evening.

The itinerary and the period in which you are interested in cruising onboard Magica are not the most requested from families with children because it is a longer itinerary and during the school period so there won't be as many children as you can find in a 7 night cruise in June or July

Edited by ITCruiser94

Haven't been on Magica, but generally:

OBC- you must check the terms and conditions. Do not trust what a travel agent tells you over the phone. Shareholder and some promotional OBC cannot, some others can.

Water- you should be getting "waterusa" if you book with Costa USA- it does NOT depend on citizenship as some posters claim. Other countries have different offers. The drink packages are worth considering.

Pizza- Yes, expect a charge. This is one thing that really, really annoys me, because I skip the MDR, a couple of slices of pizza cannot possibly cost more than an MDR meal. There's no charge for room service in a premium cabin but I don't like room service.

Music. Costa's musicians are traditionally very accommodating to requests when it's not busy. Quality varies, some groups are outstanding, if you ask for strict tempo you'll get strict tempo, some are just OK.

Children- do not travel on Costa during school vacations but my experience with longer trips low-season, it's just like going to dances at home.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Haven't been on Magica, but generally:

OBC- you must check the terms and conditions. Do not trust what a travel agent tells you over the phone. Shareholder and some promotional OBC cannot, some others can.

Water- you should be getting "waterusa" if you book with Costa USA- it does NOT depend on citizenship as some posters claim. Other countries have different offers. The drink packages are worth considering.

Pizza- Yes, expect a charge. This is one thing that really, really annoys me, because I skip the MDR, a couple of slices of pizza cannot possibly cost more than an MDR meal. There's no charge for room service in a premium cabin but I don't like room service.

Music. Costa's musicians are traditionally very accommodating to requests when it's not busy. Quality varies, some groups are outstanding, if you ask for strict tempo you'll get strict tempo, some are just OK.

Children- do not travel on Costa during school vacations but my experience with longer trips low-season, it's just like going to dances at home.

In a premium cabin the tray charge is gratis but the food you purchase carries a charge.

In a premium cabin the tray charge is gratis but the food you purchase carries a charge.

I have often used the room service in a premium cabin and it is totally complimentary, both the service and the food.

What you have described is onboard MSC in the Fantastica experience

I have often used the room service in a premium cabin and it is totally complimentary, both the service and the food.

Thank you. You certainly appear to know your stuff.

This is false information.

In a preium cabin both the service charge and food are free of charge.

Look at this recent thread, message no. 2 I posted the Room Service Menu.

I am now looking at a Costa bill where we stayed in an premium cabin where we were charged €3,50 for cake and coffee plus €2 tray charge.

Edited by tomvet

I am now looking at a Costa bill where we stayed in an premium cabin where we were charged €3,50 for cake and coffee plus €2 tray charge.

This is really strange. I have used several times the room service in a premium cabin and it was included in the cruise fare. Look at this page http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/cruise-price-included.html

it says: "In-room service and breakfast (included in the price of the cruise for guests in the Premium, Suite and Samsara Cabins)"

Are you sure that you have booked a premum cabin? Because things like that are possible only if you have booked a classic or a guarantee cabin and you have been upgraded to a premium cabin

I have booked premium cabins and never paid for room service on those rare occasions I actually used it. I have aalso booked classic, been upgraded to a premium location, but room service was still classic charges.

This is really strange. I have used several times the room service in a premium cabin and it was included in the cruise fare. Look at this page http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/cruise-price-included.html

it says: "In-room service and breakfast (included in the price of the cruise for guests in the Premium, Suite and Samsara Cabins)"

Are you sure that you have booked a premum cabin? Because things like that are possible only if you have booked a classic or a guarantee cabin and you have been upgraded to a premium cabin

Yes I have been in both a classic and premium cabins. The website states in room service i.e. the service fee not the food. Free breakfast is basic continental, a cooked brekkie is €5.

Oops forgot OP implied they have been traveling on American ships the last few years. If that's the case, dancing will be vastly different from what you've experienced- vastly more choice, vastly more popular.

Food service has been undergoing some changes recently but the hours are still rather limited compared to most (not all) American ships, you must check the program for mealtimes. Tomvet is correct about the specific charge for a cooked breakfast but as a general statement, no.

As I recall, the last time I was on Royal Caribbean, there was a charge for pizza and it wasn't cheap.

We were on Magica last December for 16 nights Transatlantic. The shabbiest Cruise ship we have ever been on, she really needed a refit. The open decks are not very appealing to the sun bather - very old fashioned layout.

We have just been on the Pacifica and ate in the Pizzeria nearly every evening because we were allocated the late sitting and it was too late for us.

The pizzas were a decent size with thin crust. I thought they put too much cheese on but asked them to cut back and they were happy to do so.

We did not get salad but a large yummy bowl of mixed olives. There were a few dessert choices: Apple pie, lemon meringue, tiramisu and maybe one other.

That cost 6.50 Euros. I don't think that is too bad though lots of people feels late night pizza slices should be included.

They also had very expensive burgers available from something like 21h30. Never even looked though we would probably have paid for the variety.

I agree with regular Costa cruisers on the forum that the food is not great on Costa. I think the cruises from the UK are extremely reasonable and we usually plan some decent lunches ashore. For us being on the ship and eating is a little part only.

I am sad that the Magica is now a little tired. She was our first cruise and she was very new then(2005 I think).

We have just been on the Pacifica and ate in the Pizzeria nearly every evening because we were allocated the late sitting and it was too late for us.

The pizzas were a decent size with thin crust. I thought they put too much cheese on but asked them to cut back and they were happy to do so.

We did not get salad but a large yummy bowl of mixed olives. There were a few dessert choices: Apple pie, lemon meringue, tiramisu and maybe one other.

That cost 6.50 Euros. I don't think that is too bad though lots of people feels late night pizza slices should be included.

They also had very expensive burgers available from something like 21h30. Never even looked though we would probably have paid for the variety.

I agree with regular Costa cruisers on the forum that the food is not great on Costa. I think the cruises from the UK are extremely reasonable and we usually plan some decent lunches ashore. For us being on the ship and eating is a little part only.

I am sad that the Magica is now a little tired. She was our first cruise and she was very new then(2005 I think).

The final dessert is a chocolatey mousse that is inedible!

Yes the 'gourmet' burger speciality section in the buffet in the evening cost €10 pp as a cover charge. Not sure what extras come like starters or desserts. On Meditteranea we never saw many using it.

In fact the best customers of the Pizzeria were the crew.

The final dessert is a chocolatey mousse that is inedible!

Yes the 'gourmet' burger speciality section in the buffet in the evening cost €10 pp as a cover charge. Not sure what extras come like starters or desserts. On Meditteranea we never saw many using it.

In fact the best customers of the Pizzeria were the crew.

But surely not a great price to pay when they have discounted the cruise price so much.

I always find it amazing when cruisers claim to have booked such advantageous rates and deals and then aren't prepared to spend some of their savings on a little treat.

It's a funny old world.

But surely not a great price to pay when they have discounted the cruise price so much.

I always find it amazing when cruisers claim to have booked such advantageous rates and deals and then aren't prepared to spend some of their savings on a little treat.

It's a funny old world.

Nothing funny at all.

Thankfully we are all different. Indeed some folk do save here to allow them splurge there. One's idea of a treat is very personal, some folk may treat their partner to some naff clothing such as a coat with Norwegian Reindeer, Elk or the like trotting across it -others would run a mile from the same item

However, staying with culinary matters, I would prefer to spend any savings on the fare sampling culinary delights ashore rather than on the ship. Examples being afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab or the Sunborn Yacht Hotel in Gibraltar. In fact on our next cruise I am delighted to inform you that we already have a table reservation for at the Blaue Bar in the Hotel Sacher in Vienna for lunch - I know what I will be having for dessert!!! Now that is a treat!

I am sure in due course you will tune in to read all about it and no doubt have an opinion.

Edited by tomvet

Blaue Bar in the Hotel Sacher, is like a waiting room in a Perian brothel. Biggest tourist trap in Vienna and the sickly mess of chocolate, fat, jam and cream that is called Sacher Torte (cake) is like swallowing a kilo of lead.

So many wonderful Vienese coffee houses to visit than the Sacher places, give me Linzer cake any day.

Blaue Bar in the Hotel Sacher, is like a waiting room in a Perian brothel. Biggest tourist trap in Vienna and the sickly mess of chocolate, fat, jam and cream that is called Sacher Torte (cake) is like swallowing a kilo of lead.

So many wonderful Vienese coffee houses to visit than the Sacher places, give me Linzer cake any day.

In fairness GMT, you are the only one that mentioned Sacher Torte.

How the hell do you know what swallowing a kilo of lead is like? Surely one would not live to tell the tale if one could even manage it.

I'll be having strudel.

And you are correct there are so many wonderful Viennese coffee houses - but there are three meals plus 2 coffee breaks to take - so plenty of opportunity to try some more.

Anyhow, our visit to Sacher is an invitation from dear Viennese friends, it would be rude to suggest an alternative dining venue.

Edited by tomvet

Like Tomvet, the only people we saw eating either burgers of Pizza was the crew.

If after the rather large dinner you still feel hungry, there are offers available for the Burgers....its in the newsletter. It was in everyday.

I did look at the menu, they do sound rather yummy....not the standard burger, there was from memory, 5 different, they were filled with swiss cheese, mushrooms.....all kinds of different filling. So to be fair, I guess most people think of a burger being a thin meat patty between a bread roll, thats not whats on offer. Think Burger King premium Whopper and some.

I would have had one....if I was hungry!!! But I never was.

According to my experience, it depends on what ship you are going to.

In October 2015 onboard neoRiviera pizza was not free both for lunch and dinner

In February 2016 onboard Mediterranea there were slices of pizza for free until 4pm or 5 pm; and after that time you had to pay for an entire pizza because slices were not avilable

In May 2016 onboard Favolosa pizza was only avilable in the evening and it wasn't free. During lunch time and the afternoon tea there were focaccia slices for free instead of pizza

Edited by ITCruiser94

The pay for pizza is in the pizzeria. They are individually made ( maybe 12 different ones)and it is table service. On the Diadema the pizzeria is in one of the areas you walk through. On the Pacifica it was on deck 10 I think. So totally out of the way with no through traffic. On the Diadema I did not see Costa staff but it was never full.

I did not really look at the pizza on the buffet lunch or evenings. I find them quite dry and plain.

The pizza in the Pizzeria is not bad at all and I have no problem spending the money on them. I think they are quite cheap considering the salad(or olives) and pudding you get. I love those little lemon tarts.