Just back from Antarctica on the Explorer: Jan 29-Feb 7 2015

Did the Journey to the White Continent itinerary. I would you recommend reading Turtles06 comprehensive review, as I agree with everything in it! Probably one of the all-time best posts on CC, and there is no way I could possibly offer more accurate information than what is contained there. Anyway... had an awesome time, and I am happy to answer any questions for those of you considering this trip. If you are thinking about it (and can afford it), I would not hesitate. It was one of my 3 all-time favorite trips of any kind.

Stines, thank you so much for your incredibly kind words, I am blushing... :o

Truly, the trip was, as you say, beyond amazing, and I'm glad if I've been able to help anyone in any way.

I see that you traveled at exactly the same time of year we did, and I am so happy (but not surprised) that you had the same reaction. Welcome home, and thank you again for the kind words.

PS: What were your two other all-time favorite trips?

Edited by Turtles06

Turtles06,

You are welcome!! My other 2 most favorites: Galapagos on Celebrity combined with Machu Picchu, and the other an African Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. I would still give Galapagos the nod as the very best. Now... to decide on where to next? :)

Please allow me to clarify something. When I wrote that Galapagos was my favorite destination, I in no way meant to imply that I preferred Celebrity over the Explorer. There is NO comparison. As far as the ship, its staff, excursions, guest speakers, naturalists etc. - Lindblad is superior in EVERY way. I just preferred the abundance of wildlife in the Galapagos, which was truly amazing,

Please allow me to clarify something. When I wrote that Galapagos was my favorite destination, I in no way meant to imply that I preferred Celebrity over the Explorer. There is NO comparison. As far as the ship, its staff, excursions, guest speakers, naturalists etc. - Lindblad is superior in EVERY way. I just preferred the abundance of wildlife in the Galapagos, which was truly amazing,

Thanks; I took it that way (the destination, not the company). We haven't been to the Galapagos, but I found it very interesting that you picked it over Antarctica.

Stines

Where to next? Having been lucky enough to have gone to the Antarctic twice and also to the Galapagos with Lindblad, would suggest you consider another visit to Africa - Southern Africa - Botswana, Vic Falls, Namibia - all places to add to your list.

Did the Journey to the White Continent itinerary. I would you recommend reading Turtles06 comprehensive review, as I agree with everything in it! Probably one of the all-time best posts on CC, and there is no way I could possibly offer more accurate information than what is contained there. Anyway... had an awesome time, and I am happy to answer any questions for those of you considering this trip. If you are thinking about it (and can afford it), I would not hesitate. It was one of my 3 all-time favorite trips of any kind.

We were on the same itinerary and completely agree with your comments. We felt extraordinarily lucky that the weather conditions allowed for so many incredible landings. We are also looking at the Galapagos. Our son was a crew member on the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institutions's Atlantis research vessel to the Galapagos and was totally awed by the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are going December 27th of this year for his 40th birthday and I have been scouring everything I can for info. I've read Turtles06 awesome review and have already purchased our LL Bean snow pants! I have a lot of questions but my top one right now is about airfare, did you go with the flight that NG suggests? I was going to because I was worried about transfers to the hotel and on the way home my concern is over a delay on the charter flight causing us to miss our return flight to MIA. BUT I don't want to wait until 5 months out when they release that info because I want to make sure to get a row with only two seats. I think that is the only way I will be able to sleep on the flights! I will take any advice you have. We travel a lot but never on a trip of this magnitude, which is causing me anxiety for fear of the unknown!

My husband and I are going December 27th of this year for his 40th birthday and I have been scouring everything I can for info. I've read Turtles06 awesome review and have already purchased our LL Bean snow pants! I have a lot of questions but my top one right now is about airfare, did you go with the flight that NG suggests? I was going to because I was worried about transfers to the hotel and on the way home my concern is over a delay on the charter flight causing us to miss our return flight to MIA. BUT I don't want to wait until 5 months out when they release that info because I want to make sure to get a row with only two seats. I think that is the only way I will be able to sleep on the flights! I will take any advice you have. We travel a lot but never on a trip of this magnitude, which is causing me anxiety for fear of the unknown!

Those waterproof pants are absolutely essential! We decided to fly with the NG group, Miami to Buenos Aires and return. After reading about taxi problems we felt we preferred to stay with a group and not have concerns about transportation from the airport to the hotel. For the return from Ushuaia via charter to Buenos Aires - no worries! It was beautifully choreographed and although quite a walk from the domestic to the international terminal, there are plenty of carts for your suitcases. There were several hours between our arrival from Ushuaia and the departure of the flight to Miami.

Our American Airlines equipment was a Boeing 777 and we had two seats on a window aisle. There were 5 seats in the middle. It was a fairly full flight so you might want to get it booked fairly soon through Lindblad if you have those seats in mind - we found them to be very accomodating. You can check the seating arrangements on this aircraft on seatguru.com.

Please don't fret! It was an amazing experience and you will love it.

We also decided to fly on Lindblad's suggested flights from/to Miami. (We like to accrue miles on OneWorld, so American is the perfect choice for us. LAN is also OneWorld, so that too is an option if mileage accrual is important.) No problems whatsoever with Lindblad's flights; it was all so very well managed and organized. On the way home, you arrive back to EZE around 4:00pm-ish. Once you collect your bags and walk to the international terminal to check in - it is around 5:00pm. WARNING AND IMPT: The American check-in counter @ EZE does not open until around 6:00pm, so you can't do anything until then anyway. The early flight to MIA is at 9:15pm, so even if the charter is delayed by an hour or two, you will have time to make that early (and NG-suggested) flight. I would not worry about this part of the journey at all. As far as booking your own transfers at the airport in EZE (if you decide to book air independently) - Lindblad suggests a local, very reputable taxi/car service - which you book upon arrival in EZE. The desk is very clearly marked and the rates are reasonable. It could not be simpler, really - so again, no need to worry about it at all.

One more word about the aircraft and traveling comfort. American has just recently introduced their newly refurbished 77-200's (and even 787's) on some of their EZE flights. Try to make sure you get on one of them. It is much nicer and cleaner on these updated planes. If you can't get on a 787, check the seat config on the 777-200. If there is *NO* First Class (i.e., only Business and Coach) - then it *IS* a refurbished plane and that's the one to try for.

Finally, as far as clothing - we bought all of our gear through Lindblad's suggested Ship to Shore company. Yes, things were expensive, but it all fit and worked out well, including their waterproof pants. I would recommend you rent your boots from Ship to Shore and not bother with lugging something that heavy along with you. More importantly, the penguin crap is so smelly and disgusting , I could not imagine carrying home boots after they've been submerged in that stuff for hours every day.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great info! I think I am going to try and call the Air Dept this week and hopefully be able to book our airfare. I was wondering about how dirty the boots got after walking around with the penguins (esp. since I was thinking I would need to pack them in our carry-ons)! Being from Cleveland we have boots already, but I may have to look into renting them since that will save us about 10lbs.

Another question with the weight of the carry-ons did the charter flight weigh yours? I don't really want to bring our laptop but may need to so I can download our pictures. I will try to come up with an alternative if I need to worry about the weight.

You are welcome! Since you have boots - do you perhaps have an older pair that you wouldn't care if you left behind if needed? Keep in mind that they must be 100% waterproof up to at least your knees. Every single outing onto land involves stepping into cold water.

As far as luggage weight goes - the only time they weighed anything (that I'm aware of) was at check-in in Ushuaia. They carefully weighed everyone's carry-on bag, and if was too heavy (> 8kg or about 17lbs), they made you check it (no fee). No exceptions. We had one piece of checked baggage that was about 60-62lbs - and that traveled on all the segments (American & LAN) with no issues.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Happy to do so!

Sorry, one more word on the boots. The ship is nicely equipped with boot-rinsing devices that you must use each time you re-board from shore (and a large disinfecting sponge that you must step on going out and coming back). I don't want you to think that the caked on muck just accumulates over the entire trip and there is nowhere to clean things up a bit. That said, I am admittedly somewhat of a germaphobe and could not imagine lugging those rinsed and still smelly boots back home with me. Enough about the boots… the trip was phenomenal!

Ok, so it sounds like I have to worry more about getting everything to fit in the luggage than the weight? I do like the idea of not having to lug boots around or at least only one direction!

How much ocean spray is there on the zodiacs? I want to be able to take pictures when we are cruising around, but worried about my camera getting wet. I can't bring myself to spend $ on a waterproof camera since I don't have any other need for one.

Also about how many landings did you do a day? I'm a huge planner and can't even begin to imagine a normal day cruising around Antarctica!!

I wouldn't worry about anything! Look forward to this awesome expedition! Regarding luggage weight, I would not assume that you can pack as much as you like in your checked baggage (given my experience last month). You never know who will be managing the check-in desks and enforcing the rules. My advice is that you can go over the 50lb per piece rule, but just have a back up plan ready to execute if needed. For example, 1 of our bags was about 58lbs. If needed, we were prepared to take out 8lbs of stuff and jam them in our other bag that was packed to about 40lbs.

There are about 2 landings per day - so a total of about 10-11. That is, if you choose to partake in each and every one (we skipped a few to relax, read, use the gym etc.). Weather (primarily wind) plays a HUGE role in that total, though. Bad weather = less landings. Wind also plays a HUGE role in how wet you'll get on the zodiacs. The more wind, the move waves, and the wetter you'll get. They do sell plastic covers for your camera in the gift shop (or locally at home) - and I saw some people using them. But I did not, and all my shots came out fine with no damage to my camera. It got a little damp, but that's it. Generally, the further forward you sit in the zodiac, the more spray there will be regardless of the weather conditions.

Follow the packing list suggestions closely on what to pack. It is very comprehensive and those items are ALL that you will need. Nothing more. Laundry service on the ship is reasonably priced, quick, and well done. So if you need something washed, you'll have it back in about 24 hours after giving it to your cabin attendant. So easy!

Awesome! Thanks again for all your advice, it is very much appreciated. I was wondering about the laundry service since I figured we weren't going to be able to pack two weeks of clothes.

On the thought of wind/waves, how was your crossing of Drake's Passage? We've never gotten seasick, but I'm thinking out of precaution I need to bring something. Also did the waves make it hard to get in and out of the zodiacs? How about kayaking?

Well, I have been on 30 cruises (this was a first on Lindblad, though) - and never once felt unwell - and I don't take meds. That said, the crossing down was a little bumpy, but I enjoyed it for the thrill. I admit that I always wanted to experience some wave action anyway. The return trip was a different story. The waves/swells were big, and the ship was pitching up and down for a good 36 hours or so. I took the free meds that the ship provided, but I should have had something stronger from the Doctor. I did not get sick, but it was difficult to sit upright (e.g., in the dining room) for more than 15-30 minutes without feeling nauseous. Each person reacts differently though, so it just depends. It was really something to go up to the bridge and see the waves crashing against the bow and sending spray all the way up to the windows of the bridge. Quite an experience, and in spite of not feeling the greatest during those 36 hours, it somehow would have been a disappointment had we not had the chance to experience the conditions that explorers like Shackleton endured... in a wooden sailing ship no less! I can't even imagine! Bottom line: go to your Doctor and get some precautionary meds. Some people were totally out of commission when it was rough.

No issues at all with the waves and Zodiaks/kayaks. Lindblad is a master of anchoring in just the right (calm-as-possible) spots for ensuring guests have minimal problems. They even have a custom-made platform that makes it so easy to exit/enter the ship and get into and out of the kayaks.

My husband and I are going December 27th of this year for his 40th birthday and I have been scouring everything I can for info. I've read Turtles06 awesome review and have already purchased our LL Bean snow pants! I have a lot of questions but my top one right now is about airfare, did you go with the flight that NG suggests? ...

Gosh, I guess I haven't been on this thread in awhile! Thanks so much for your kind words about my blog. (Glad you found the snow pants. They were perfect for this trip.) I see from the comments above that you've gotten terrific advice re the questions you've posed. I'll add a few things.

In terms of air travel, we flew into BA several days early, so did not use the flights suggested by NG. I see that you are in an area of the U.S. that could be impacted by winter weather, so I think whatever route you choose to fly, you should consider flying in early.

Boots could not be rented when we traveled, and yes we did bring them back and forth. (I can't believe it, actually.) As stines says, you must thoroughly wash them on your return from each landing; there's a disinfectant station for doing this. They were quite clean when we schlepped them home. :)

Re using a camera in the zodiacs: there will be times when there is too much spray or it's just too wet to use/risk a good, non-waterproof camera. Frankly, for a trip of this importance, I'd buy a pocket sized waterproof camera. You may also have some places on the landings where it's too wet or slippery to use anything else. I bit the bullet very late before we left and got the Nikon AW100 (there's a newer model) and was very thankful that I'd done so.

As for crossing the Drake, since you read my blog, you know I love some rough water. ;) If you are concerned, by all means have some meds along with you. I'd say about 2/3 of the folks on board were wearing the patch. Stines is absolutely correct about how awesome it is to be on the bridge with the waves crashing over. This picture from our return crossing of the Drake remains one of my favorites from our trip:

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

(crossing the Drake, turtles06)

You've gotten valuable advice from experienced travelers. Let me offer just a few comments. It's clear that I'm a Lindblad groupie (off on voyages 22 and 23 later this month). First, on boots - check out NEOS - sort of like galoshes over your walking shoes - assures comfortable walking, light weight and easy packing.

Seasick - had one bad experience on six crossings and it was pretty bad!

Photos from Zodiacs - always took a plastic bag for protection - didn't need it that often - most areas are pretty well protected - transit to and from ship is of greatest concern.

Time ashore - Explorer is a great ship (that's what I'm on for trip this month) but # of pax limits time ashore. None of our Antarctic trips were affected by the 100 pax ashore limit. Once on shore, we were there until ship sailed. The ingenious arrangement that Lindblad has for kayaking in the Antarctic is magnificent. Silently paddling through that incredible world is unforgettable. Don't know if you're including S Georgia - if not, do it next time.

We had a reservation on Orion to do one more Antarctic adventure - hitting age 80 suggested that we should cancel - sigh!

Edited by hrprof

I am definitely getting great advice from experienced travelers. I may almost be out of questions (at least for now, but we have about 10 months before we go)! We don't get to go to South Georgia, it was a battle I was having with myself when booking. In the end I decided I wanted to go over the actual day of my husband's b-day, but maybe next time.

I just finished reading Endurance (on a beach in St Martin). I think that made me realize this is like no vacation I've ever been on. I'm not as adventurous as you all are, I will happily take no rough waters crossing the Drake! I will get a script for some meds, I don't want seasickness to ruin the trip.

I ended up booking our airfare yesterday directly through Lindblad, so now I just have to get us to Miami. We were planning on going the day before the flight to BA just in case the weather is bad. And as a bonus we can thaw out for a day.

I've never heard of NEOS, but just looked them up. They may be just want I need, thank you!

Now for my questions of the day, how casual are dinners on the ship? Are jeans and sweaters acceptable? Any suggestions for a place to have dinner in BA?

Dinners are entirely casual. Whatever you are comfortable in goes - at all times. Jeans/sweaters just fine. BA has so many fine restaurants. I'd suggest you wait till the trip is a bit closer and check Tripadvisor or a similar site for suggestions. I hope Lindblad changes the group hotel by next year. I was really disappointed with the Caesar Park (now M Gallery). It was one of "the" places to stay in BA decades ago, but needs some major TLC now. Good/safe location, though.

. . . Boots could not be rented when we traveled, and yes we did bring them back and forth. (I can't believe it, actually.) As stines says, you must thoroughly wash them on your return from each landing; there's a disinfectant station for doing this. They were quite clean when we schlepped them home. :)

. . . First, on boots - check out NEOS - sort of like galoshes over your walking shoes - assures comfortable walking, light weight and easy packing.

We were on the Nov 2014 sailing to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands. Although boots were available to rent, we purchased them in advance to ensure proper fit, and to use on other trips.

My wife got the Arctic Muck Boots which she fitted with New Balance insoles for arch support. They were warm and comfortable, even on long hikes.

I got NEOS, which fit over my New Balance trainers. Since the trainers were broken in, the combination of trainers and NEOS was very comfortable. Plus, they take up very little room to pack. (We shared one 29-inch checked bag.)

As others have mentioned, cleaning and disinfecting one's boots is mandatory. Our boots were clean and dry when we packed them to disembark.

Woody

The NEOS look like they may not take up as much room and weight as regular boots. I like that I can wear shoes that I know are comfortable with them also, looks like we are going to have to make another trip to Lake Erie to walk around in the water to test waterproofness.:)

I imagine the lighter the boots the easier it is to hike in them. How long does a landing normally last? I thought I read somewhere that it was about a hour on land and a hour in the zodiac. Is it dependent on how many people are on the ship?

I don't actually know what hotel we are staying in. The website states "Sofitel Buenos Aires (or similar)" and the guidebook has M Gallery. Hopefully we find out for sure soon!

Hi mz13,

The landings lasted anywhere from an hour to, in some cases, 2 hours or even a little more. It depends upon weather, ice conditions, and how many people are actually on land at the same time. Our sailing was at full occupancy - but we were never rushed to re-board the ship or zodiak. There was one instance I recall when we went out on a hike in the last group and were told about 60 min into our walk that we had to turn around so as not to jeapordize the timing of the ship's departure. I am not sure if that directive was weather-related, or just a timing constraint to ensure we all could experience the next, planned amazing stop/experience.

Hi mz13,

The landings lasted anywhere from an hour to, in some cases, 2 hours or even a little more. It depends upon weather, ice conditions, and how many people are actually on land at the same time. Our sailing was at full occupancy - but we were never rushed to re-board the ship or zodiak. There was one instance I recall when we went out on a hike in the last group and were told about 60 min into our walk that we had to turn around so as not to jeapordize the timing of the ship's departure. I am not sure if that directive was weather-related, or just a timing constraint to ensure we all could experience the next, planned amazing stop/experience.

One other possibility is this: well prior to the start of the season, the expedition companies divvy up the Peninsula "touring" area amongst themselves, agreeing on which ship will be where for what window of time. The goal is to give each ship and their guests some "alone time" at each spot, making things appear as remote and devoid of human presence as possible (and of course not have too many people ashore). In your case, you may have needed to get out of where you were because you were about to intrude on another ship's block of time.

I found it fascinating when our expedition leader explained this whole process to us.